Hello.... there are good resort w

mindyvicente

Jan 14, 2004
Hello all,
I am new too this. So be easy on me!!!! I have been dating A "resort worker" for over a year now. Have been down to the dr at least a dozen times in the past year. took my 3 daughters the last time. They are 5,8 and 9. Vicente is a boss at a resort in Punta Cana. We started our relationship in January of 2003. (the 23rd to be exact) I spend lots of time with his family and him. But on the days he had to work... he always called me AND he always put people on the phone to chat with me. His boss let my daughters and I stay at the resort for a day because Vicente had to work. Everyone there knows about us and they hold great respect for us because we have been able to manage this "long distance relationship." Though it has been difficult!! In October we started the k1 visa process. He had his first intervie on April 1st. Have to go back the end of this month. He will be here soon. And he is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Congrats. Welcome to DR1. You seem to have everything under control so what is your question?

DRgirlatheart

Sep 20, 2003
Welcome!

Hi, Mindy!

Just wanted to say welcome aboard and good luck with the relationship! I hope things work out for you, and I hope he is as wonderful as you say he is.

Regards.

Mar 21, 2002
no disrespect but

what causes people like yourself to go far away to find a mate? what is missing in your hometown? enquiring minds want to know!

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Maybe she just happened to find her mate while she was travelling or maybe he found her? It's not so hard to imagine.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Nelly said:
Maybe she just happened to find her mate while she was travelling or maybe he found her? It's not so hard to imagine.

Exactly...people always assume the worst without knowing. Many women have had very successful relationships before marrying Dominicans. Dominican men are sexy, and hard to resist...I imagine the women are too...what makes that so bad?

Mar 21, 2002
trina said:
Exactly...people always assume the worst without knowing. Many women have had very successful relationships before marrying Dominicans. Dominican men are sexy, and hard to resist...I imagine the women are too...what makes that so bad?

trina it doesn't make it so bad but what are you guys missing at home? most dominicans only care about the outside world where it benefits them moneywise. you guys seem to be missing something much more profound when you have to go to a country far away when your countries canada, usa, italy have everything the dr has and much more. so whats the dealio?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Onions&carrots said:
trina it doesn't make it so bad but what are you guys missing at home? most dominicans only care about the outside world where it benefits them moneywise. you guys seem to be missing something much more profound when you have to go to a country far away when your countries canada, usa, italy have everything the dr has and much more. so whats the dealio?

People meet all over the world including their own country but since this board is about the "Dominican Republic" the stories told have to do with the DR.

Make sense? Great!

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Onions&carrots said:
I don't think people go to the Dominican Republic looking for a serious relationship. They go to get away from the cold winters (Canada) and to have some fun. However, sometimes things just happen. Why does it mean they must be missing something at home? That's a silly assumption. Besides, what does geography have to do with meeting a Dominican (added for content) who is a great match for you?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's a lot to do with changing times. Marrying the nice boy or girl next door might work for some, but in today's world we venture further away from the nest. Many of us travel to other countries to study and work, we meet people from other countries who travel to ours. We take holidays in distant lands.

Where I come from, a community of just 29,000, it would be downright risky if we all married local people. Anthropologists have found that inbreeding has been prevented by a high rate of exogamy, meaning that a lot of people marry foreigners. Anecdotally amongst my friends and family it works out about 50-50.

In my line of work, and my previous occupation which was teaching English to foreigners, it is almost inevitable. I have worked with people from all four corners of the globe. My current batch of colleagues includes people from El Salvador, Guatemala, the US, Ethiopia, Burundi, France, Denmark and Britain as well as the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

The odds were always against me ending up with 'the boy next door'. Even my parents, who met and married over 40 years ago, are from different continents. So what is the big deal?

Chiri

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Onions&carrots said:

I didn't fall in love with my husband because he was Dominican, or "not-Canadian", I fell in love with him because he is the love of my life...we were meant to be. I was living in the DR when I met him, I moved there to experience something new and move out of the cold. There is no deal, it just happened...I wasn't looking and neither was he...it didn't happen overnight, it happened over time and getting to know this wonderful person that I married.

Mar 21, 2002
so whats the dealio

you gals still haven't answered my question. btw hardy-har-har anna "fetucine alfredo" coniglio. jk no on a serious note dr folk dont cuz of money only. don't you think that deep down you felt a little empty and came with the expectation the dr would satisfy certain lacking things? what i mean is you fulfilled your own bias? sounds like you could of felt the same of your frozen tundras? right. methinks its about perception. whadda you gals think?
don't worry i won't push this issue anymore but i'm just curious about foreigners lust for the dr. it borders on the extreme. me personally the world looks nice but it ain't nothing i couldn't live without whereas i've seen foreigners on this site and in dr obsessive with it. you know cruel dominicans call that lambon.

another reason i bring this up is alot of dominicans bring it up to foreigners. why oh why do you come here so much if you don't have family? you see for dr folk its weird people would travel so many times to a place where they don't have family.

mindyvicente

Jan 14, 2004
me again.... the question is.......

Why do people put down Dominican people?? Or other foreigners for that matter?? Thank you to those of you that do understand.
I did not "go" to another country "looking" for someone. I had no intentions of falling in love. Where I come from there are only White Americans. We may have a couple colored people here......maybe. I went down with my sister just for a vacation from the kids. I was never a racial person but I definately did not even "think" I would fall for someone. But after the first couple of times there and spending time with Vicente..... I knew that it meant something..... If God leads you to it- he will help you through it.
I did not have any "empty" feelings about my home. I was very content- what happened just happened. I know there are some people who are against resort workers.... but all of them are not just looking for a green card or money. They are real people to. It took Vicente 9 mos to want to come here to be with me. He tried getting me to live there. I could not do that, I would have loved to but I have 3 young girls who are excelling in their school, and they do not want to leave all of their friends and none of us want to leave our family. But he was going through the same thing because he is very close to his mom and dad. but after encouragement and support from his family and friends he decided to take the plunge.... and I am happy that he has decided to. But I also realize there are lots of people.... even in America- that only looks to money and other reasons for being with someone, it is not just "Foreigners." Is there anyone out there that has gone through the K1 visa process??? Would love to chat sometime. And I am very happy to be a part of this community. Thank you for welcoming me.

Mindy

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
different cultures

Welcome Mindy! I'm pretty new too...Good luck with Vicente. :)

Onions&Carrots, I think that you might perceive things a little differently than we (as in non-Dominicans) do. I don't think the cause for all the travelling is that we are lacking something at home. I think it just has to do with the differences in cultures. We are brought up with the values of going to university so we can make money, work until age 65 (or earlier if you invest well), and then retire. This isn't a bad thing, life is good! We have loads of fun in between, but we vacation to truly relax. Things are a lot more hectic up here among the igloos and dogsleds. ;) We like to get away. It isn't that we're unhappy here, it's just that vacation is a part of our lives. Lots of younger people go travelling for a year or two before starting a career.

Anna is right about the perception that you have as well. The people on this board have definitely fallen for the DR, you're right, but lots of people love Cuba, or France, or Thailand, or Alaska (I'm not kidding!!), and choose to vacation there instead. You're only hearing DR stories...and you know, as for the romance, I think we're all more susceptible to it when we're not worried about deadlines, and dinner for the kids, and whether we left the coffee pot on, and if we're going to miss the last go-train home for the night, and whether we paid our VISA bill on time, etc. etc. etc.

That reminds me...gotta run! ;)

Last edited:

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Onions&carrots said:
you gals still haven't answered my question. btw hardy-har-har anna "fetucine alfredo" coniglio. jk no on a serious note dr folk dont cuz of money only. don't you think that deep down you felt a little empty and came with the expectation the dr would satisfy certain lacking things? what i mean is you fulfilled your own bias? sounds like you could of felt the same of your frozen tundras? right. methinks its about perception. whadda you gals think?

I believe in destiny. If you are meant to marry someone from another country, it w/ happen. It's just a matter of time. I mean read Trina's or Maryanne's stories and you'd see what I mean. On the other hand,
I do understand what you are trying to say O&C, some women go to the DR looking for something that they don't have in their own countries. I believe these women are just very insecure about their looks and when they get so much attention in the DR they absolutely love it. I say good for them, now if they only had the discipline to give the relationship time to develop into something more than lust, and get to know the man they're involved with, not rush into anything, it w/ turn out better for them.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What O&C is trying to say is;

"Why isn't anyone interested in me? I'm Dominican!" :disappoin

Hardy har har

Last edited:

flec

Feb 7, 2004
www.flec.ca
Why foreign men love DR women...

I keep reading on this board concerns as to why a foreigner world get involved with and ultimately marry a Dominican. Being a Canadian boy with a Chilean background on my mother's side, I'm not sure if it's DR women in specific but rather latin women in general. What am I missing here in Canada? Quite simply I am getting quite tired of Canadian/American (same thing) girls and their attitudes. IMHO, the girls here are cold, overweight, don't worry/care about their bodies/health/appearance, consumed by materialism, corrupted by feminist ideals, etc. I go to the gym at least three times a week and am always amazed at the lack of women working on themselves. I go to a local Toronto bar/club and there are always hundreds of guys fighting over the very few attractive women in there. And where are the women anyways? Why is it I go to a club and there are always 2 or 3 times as many guys as girls? Quite frankly, DR women are more traditional, warm, loving, caring, affectionate, don't mind to cook/clean, family-oriented, relaxed, love to go out, are more outgoing, friendly, tend to be more trusting, are physically more attractive, somehow stay in shape (even after kids!), are easier to satisfy, tend to stick by their man through thick and thin... and demand much less. I constantly hear from DR women about the problems DR men have with fidelity; so as long as I'm faithful and supportive of a DR girl she will love me forever.

Yes, DR women may be looking for a foreign man to take care of them. But aren't all women the same? (I know I'm going to get a mouthful for that one.) At least a DR girl will be quite content with a decent house, food in the fridge, an honest man, and a nice life. My Canadian girlfriends wanted me to buy them Versace clothing, Gucci watches, Bvlgari jewellery, and 1st-class vacations twice a year! Compared to North American girls, the maintenance on DR girls is pennies on the dollar.

I have recently gotten involved with a DR girl and have been flying down every month to see her. I have no expectations but I feel so great being with her. No she is not a Sosua/Boca Chica girl, comes from a good family, is educated, and has a decent job. We'll see where it goes.

Mindy - I wish you the best and hope he truly turns out to be the man of your dreams.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I won't even go there!

Your post is the most sexist, insulting generalization of "North American women" that I have read on this site! I can't even be bothered to rebuttle your ignorance and it is obvious it would be pointless anyway! And the men on this site wonder why "North American" women love DR men... need we say more???

flec said:
I keep reading on this board concerns as to why a foreigner world get involved with and ultimately marry a Dominican. Being a Canadian boy with a Chilean background on my mother's side, I'm not sure if it's DR women in specific but rather latin women in general. What am I missing here in Canada? Quite simply I am getting quite tired of Canadian/American (same thing) girls and their attitudes. IMHO, the girls here are cold, overweight, don't worry/care about their bodies/health/appearance, consumed by materialism, corrupted by feminist ideals, etc. I go to the gym at least three times a week and am always amazed at the lack of women working on themselves. I go to a local Toronto bar/club and there are always hundreds of guys fighting over the very few attractive women in there. And where are the women anyways? Why is it I go to a club and there are always 2 or 3 times as many guys as girls? Quite frankly, DR women are more traditional, warm, loving, caring, affectionate, don't mind to cook/clean, family-oriented, relaxed, love to go out, are more outgoing, friendly, tend to be more trusting, are physically more attractive, somehow stay in shape (even after kids!), are easier to satisfy, tend to stick by their man through thick and thin... and demand much less. I constantly hear from DR women about the problems DR men have with fidelity; so as long as I'm faithful and supportive of a DR girl she will love me forever.

Yes, DR women may be looking for a foreign man to take care of them. But aren't all women the same? (I know I'm going to get a mouthful for that one.) At least a DR girl will be quite content with a decent house, food in the fridge, an honest man, and a nice life. My Canadian girlfriends wanted me to buy them Versace clothing, Gucci watches, Bvlgari jewellery, and 1st-class vacations twice a year! Compared to North American girls, the maintenance on DR girls is pennies on the dollar.

I have recently gotten involved with a DR girl and have been flying down every month to see her. I have no expectations but I feel so great being with her. No she is not a Sosua/Boca Chica girl, comes from a good family, is educated, and has a decent job. We'll see where it goes.

Mindy - I wish you the best and hope he truly turns out to be the man of your dreams.

flec

Feb 7, 2004
www.flec.ca
Yep, I am sexist... but the truth hurts

Fiesta Mama said:
Your post is the most sexist, insulting generalization of "North American women" that I have read on this site! I can't even be bothered to rebuttle your ignorance and it is obvious it would be pointless anyway! And the men on this site wonder why "North American" women love DR men... need we say more???

OK, I know I'll get even more heat for this, but here goes. Yep, my opinion of North American women has dwindled into oblivion. But let's face facts... most North American women looking for love (or at least a little attention) in DR are at least 30 lbs. overweight, as pale as milk, can't dress themselves to save their lives, can't tell lipstick from a toothbrush, and no self respecting guy would give them the time of day in their own city. Where else is such a girl going to find a good-looking, handsome guy to shower her with affection and tell her he loves her?

I've been to DR so many times and I'm consistently surprised at the number of North American girls going for rented male and female companionship, specifically in Sosua. And consistently these girls always have the aforementioned attributes. Better to be falsely loved in DR than alone back home.

If the girls on this board who fall in love with DR men posted pics of themselves, I could rest my case.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Hey FLEC - Let's see what a hunk you really ARE!!!!!

Post a pic of yourselves then take a look at some of the chicks that post here. What self-respecting woman would want such a fat-headed opinionated guy like you! I just came back from 2 hours at the gym - so don't tell me that there are no hot looking women here that cannot dress, act feminine blah blah blah

I think part of the problem lies with you. The women you do meet here probably see right through your shallowness. Perhaps an attitude adjustment is required.

I certainly don't need to travel to get laid - hell - I can just make a phone call.

You told it right Fiesta Mama.

I can turn the tables here and say how many really in shape good looking guys are there here? This includes Canada/U.S.A. So many with big beer guts, can't dress, have lousy haircuts and scuffed shoes. So what? Someone must love them. Not me!!!!

My main man is great! So what if his hair line is receding a bit. He is smart, funny and caring and great to me, and I give it back twofold.