San Jos? de Ocoa & Cambiata Garabito

canuck MD

May 2, 2004
San Jos? de Ocoa & Cambita Garabito

Hello,
I'm new to this board and am looking for some info. I'm planing on going to the DR and setting up a medical training outpost in some of the rural areas. I'm looking for pictures/images, information and maps of San Jos? de Ocoa and Cambita Garabito. Any usefull info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
canuck said:
Hello,
I'm looking for pictures/images, information and maps of San Jos? de Ocoa and Cambiata Garabito. Any usefull info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

just for your info, it's Cambita, not cambiata. Very nice, real Dominican, VERY rural, have a jeepeta..

Barnab?

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
nice rural places

San Jose de Ocoa is a nice little town nestled in a semi-arid area in the nearly deep south of the country; from Santo Domingo you go west past San Cristobal, Bani and turn off north into a mountainous area. Check out the foliage rich central park.

Cambita, Garabito, in San Cristobal, is rural and at the bottom of a mountain where the well-to-do have begun building their weekend-getaway houses so it's not totally isolated by any means.

Both places are off the beaten path for tourists but may be ideal for your purposes. Good Luck!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
canuck said:
Hello,
I'm new to this board and am looking for some info. I'm planing on going to the DR and setting up a medical training outpost in some of the rural areas. I'm looking for pictures/images, information and maps of San Jos? de Ocoa and Cambita Garabito. Any usefull info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Could check these places:
http://www.worldsurface.com/browse/location.asp?locationid=7112

http://www.webtourist.net/knowbefore/goto/san_jose_de_ocoa-dominican_republic.htm

http://www.hotelus.com/guides/travelguide/cid_/47372-/action_/viewLocation-/locationId_/43701

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
San Cristobal and Bani dont have as much rural areas as Ocoa does. You can get los in 'los montes' de Ocoa. Try Las Aullamas (spelling?) is like going back into time there, talk about rural.

Like Mr. Alvarez said, many well-to do natives are building in San Cristobal and around the beaches now. So pretty soon, what was rural, will be no more.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
No beach in Cambita Garabito

Mr Alvarez said it all. Garabito is at the bottom of a mountain. Some fincas on the mountain, and a few campesinos living with breathtaking view on the artificial lake (la presa) among the aguacates, mangos and bananas. Each time I drive up there (my wife's family has some tareas) I find myself in a different world. This year they even tiraron un cable, tenemos luz. Don't have to go till Jarabacoa to get a breeze.

For the beach you have to go on the other side of San Cristobal, Palenque. Not worth a stop in my opinion, unless it has changed in the last 3 or 4 years.

Barnab?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I've always hated Palenque, but Najayo is pretty nice - NOT touristy at all, if that's what you are looking for!

Barnabe said:
For the beach you have to go on the other side of San Cristobal, Palenque. Not worth a stop in my opinion, unless it has changed in the last 3 or 4 years.

Barnab?

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
for beaches, you can do better

Barnabe said:
For the beach you have to go on the other side of San Cristobal, Palenque. Not worth a stop in my opinion, unless it has changed in the last 3 or 4 years. Barnab?

Palenque and even Najayo are not really worthwhile unless you have no other alternative. For beaches, you can do much better in other areas. Hope you get to visit many of them!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to play Devil's Advocate

Have you coodinated this "medical training outpost" with any of the local authorities? Are you authorized to teach medicine in the Dominican Republic?
Have you been in contact with Father Luis Quinn in San Jos? de Ocoa? This can be very interesting or very nasty, depending on how well you are coordinating this with the proper authorities.

HB

canuck MD

May 2, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Have you coodinated this "medical training outpost" with any of the local authorities? Are you authorized to teach medicine in the Dominican Republic?
Have you been in contact with Father Luis Quinn in San Jos? de Ocoa? This can be very interesting or very nasty, depending on how well you are coordinating this with the proper authorities.

HB

We are in the very early stages of setting this up. We've been in contact with the Hospital General Materno Infantil. I'm just trying to get some images to display to our sponsorship groups. BTW, who is Father Luis Quinn?