Brilliant strategy by Raul Mondesi

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
The recent conflict between Dominican baseball star Raul Mondesi and former player Mario Guerrero, where Guerrero placed a lien on Mondesi's Pittsburgh Pirates salary and his Dominican assets and bank accounts based on his suit claiming commission payments of 1% of Mondesi's salary for his scouting, signing and training in the major leagues is a great P.R. stunt, which in my opinion, could have been planned to help Mondesi get out of his contract, while Guerrero could get his fee paid with a future team's contract.

It works like this. Mondesi quit his Pirates contract and refuses to play baseball until his legal problems are over. He claims he needs to take care of his family, under pressure from Guerrero. So the expected happens. The Pirates release him(which took place today). Then Mondesi becomes a free agent. Injuries in MLB begin to happen by now and healthy, fast bats are premium. Mondesi knows that the minute he solves his 'legal' problems other major league teams will come after him with better money. So he makes a deal with Guerrero where he pays Guerrero the $600,000 he wants based on the future earnings of a new contract which will include the money he promised Guerrero. Mondesi will get paid better and would have taken a nice Dominican vacation and Guerrero will be happier than a turkey six months before Thanksgiving. The fantasy is over.

Is this so far fetched? Let the next few weeks prove me wrong. I predict a June, or July comeback by Mondesi.

TW

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Mondesi was making about $1.4 million this year with the Pirates, with an unlikely team option for about $8 million next year.

If you think any team in baseball is paying Mondesi more than $1.4, I've got a bridge for you. Not to mention, if he were to sign with another club the contract will be pro-rated for the games left in the season. Thus he won't make back any of that money he is presently losing.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Found a few holes in your story.

If he stood to make $8 million if the Pirates picked up his option for next year, there's no way playing out this scenario would benefit him. NO team is baseball will match the $1.4 he was making this year, esp. after this stunt. Think about it, how many MLB teams really want to grab this dude?

Remember, when he was a Yankee, one of his complaints about the Yankees was "...all they want to do is win." Of course, they got rid of him. Other teams took note, that why all he could sign for was $1.4M.

The Pirates needed some power and had no other options. He just burned that bridge. Too much baggage there, even with a quick bat. Not to mention, he just QUIT on his team. What team would be stupid enough to pay for that?

You really think someone will pay him more than $1.4M for part of a season??? He might make $500K, but not more. He'll be paying that $600K out of his pocket. Scarily enough, Rickey Henderson, at 45 yrs old, has a better shot at more money.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Do you think??

$500,000 is much money to extort from a midseason contract to pay off a deal? Mondy already picked up a two month paycheck, plus his spring training money and has come up with a great idea as to why he should not play. No money, no play. Other teams can understand that, specially in the nasty situation some teams are with the injuries of some of the top outfielders. It's only going to get worse for injuries.

Mondy can pick up a nice vacation in DR, pay off his partner and get a nice contract to finish up for a nice paycheck. Let's just wait and see. I have seen worse deals made in shorter times by the owners.

TW

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Golo here is Mondesi's salary over the last 7 years:

1997 Los Angeles Dodgers $2,700,000
1998 Los Angeles Dodgers $5,500,000
1999 Los Angeles Dodgers $9,000,000
2000 Toronto Blue Jays $10,000,000
2001 Toronto Blue Jays $11,500,000
2002 Toronto Blue Jays $11,000,000
2003 New York Yankees $13,000,000

You think he should be complaining about $600k? If its the principle that he's being swindled its one thing, if he's mad about the money, he's got serious spending problems.
Mondesi signed with the Pirates because it was the only team that gave him a shot and he signed very late in the FA period at that.

As a Mets fan and a Dominican, I would love to see Mondesi patrol RF for my team, but he'd be lucky to get anything close to $1M from any team right about now.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Mondesi screwed himself...several times over.

First, you mean to tell me that this agent dude is still owed money????? How long ago was it that Raul Mondesi was NL Rookie of the Year with the LA Dodgers? How long ago did they sign or "agree" to the deal? Surely, it wasn't last year.

Secondly, for someone with his talent, why were no other teams, including those with salary cap space, not willing to get him on the free agent market? And like NY1 said, the Pirates grabbed him really late.

Finally, the Pirates were his last chance. They threw him a lifeline. He quit on them. That $600K had nothing to do with the Pirates. They did their part. He quit on them. Every team in the league saw that. And you talking about a contract, for what???? Who would take a chance on depending on him in a stretch run now?

He screwed himself. That little vacation to RD, potentially cost him the pro-rated amount of the $1.4M from this year, and the $8M option if he performed well enough to earn the option pick-up. And he still owes the agent $600K!!!!!!!!!!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Toneloc and friends, keep listening ro me and you hardly will be wrong..

THIS ARTICLE FROM TODAY's HOY NEWSPAPER SPORTS PAGES

"Llueven ofertas a Mondes?" 5:30:00 AM
SANTO DOMINGO (AP).- Apenas un d?a despu?s de ser recortado de la n?mina de los Piratas de Pittsburgh, Ra?l Mondes? dijo ayer jueves haber recibido una lluvia de ofertas para regresar a las Grandes Ligas. "Desde anoche estoy recibiendo llamadas de mis agentes para comunicarme que hay varios equipos interesados en firmarme", dijo Mondes? a The Associated Press.

Aunque el jugador se abstuvo de identificar a los clubes interesados en firmarle, AP supo por una fuente externa que Anaheim, Boston, San Luis y Seattle se encuentran en el grupo.

Las lesiones del jardinero central Garreth Anderson y el antesalista Troy Glaus convierten a Mondes? en un potencial objetivo para los Serafines, que ya tienen a dos dominicanos en los jardines: Vladimir Guerrero y Jos? Guill?n.

Lesiones de jugadores importantes y graves lagunas ofensivas afectan tambi?n a Boston, San Luis y Seattle actualmente.

Cansados de esperar por Mondes?, los Piratas decidieron el mi?rcoles rescindir su contrato cuando el jardinero no se present? al inicio de una serie de tres juegos contra los Padres de San Diego. Los Piratas citaron como causal de despido el que el dominicano no cumpli? con su contrato.

Mondes? bateaba para .283 con dos jonrones y 14 remolcadas cuando dej? el equipo el 7 de mayo y viaj? a la Rep?blica Dominicana para encarar un litigio judicial.

Los Piratas llegaron a pagarle 192.000 d?lares de un contrato por 1,75 millones previo a que Mondes? empacara maletas. Pero los Piratas ahora no est?n obligados a pagarle un centavo m?s.

Normalmente, los equipos asumen la responsabilidad de pagar el salario del pelotero si lo despiden, pero Mondes? dej? a los Piratas en forma voluntaria.

"Le propuse a los Piratas que me dieran una semana m?s para tratar de resolver mis asuntos personales y judiciales en Dominicana, pero ellos decidieron no seguir esperando", dijo el jugador.

A principio de mayo, Mondes? decidi? no jugar por el resto del a?o para encargarse personalmente de un litigio contra Mario Guerrero, un antiguo pelotero que exige ante la justicia dominicana unos 640.000 d?lares.

Guerrero reclama una compensaci?n por supuestamente haberle ense?ado al pelotero a jugar b?isbol.

Mondes? dijo que desde que lleg? a Rep?blica Dominicana muchas cosas han cambiado en el litigio contra Guerrero, incluyendo la percepci?n del resto de la poblaci?n.

"Ahora estoy m?s tranquilo. El hecho de que viniera a enfrentrar a Guerrero y pusiera mi familia y mi tranquilidad por encima de lo econ?mico ha generado una ola de apoyo a mi causa", dijo.

"Estoy agradecido de todo el mundo, especialmente de mis colegas los peloteros, por su gran apoyo moral", agreg?.

Mondes? dijo que debido al cambio positivo del proceso judicial que enfrenta, estar?a dispuesto a firmar con un equipo para regresar a las Grandes Ligas este mismo a?o.

"La pr?xima cita en la corte ser? el 16 de junio, pero si las cosas siguen como van, podr?a estar disponible para viajar antes de esa fecha a los Estados Unidos... Vamos a esperar que sucede en el fin de semana", dijo Mondes?.

OK Guys, either I am always ahead of the press because I always guess right, or I just know what I am talking about. Keep watching. By the way, I heard that Mondesi already has a team with almost certainty and that the deal will include handling the situation with Guerrero thru a Yankees connection which has a great deal of influence over Mario, and that a cash settlement will be handled by the signing team, but kept under taps, so as to avoid further bleeding of other players. This case has the owners worried that if Guerrero gets his way in court, the teams will be in deep trouble and held for ransom with many players being sued similarly. The key to the whole thing is to settle this mess out of court and as quiet as possible. Mondesi has the major leagues grabbed by the balls and he knows that. Mario knows it too. The team that will save the day may not even have to pay for his entire salary. Every team will pay thru the league, including paying off Mario, or giving Mondesi $$ to close the deal. Again, I repeat, Raul and Mario are smarter than you think.Mondesi's got nothing to lose. He knows the owners are panicking already with more injuries than they counted for this early on. They can surely do well as Sankies.

TW

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Like I said in my earlier post, I'm a Mets fan and would love to have him on my team. I'm sure the Red Sox and a whole host of other teams want him also. The article you posted however, does not state that any team would pay him a similar salary. That is the point that is being made.

Any team that would pay him the same or a higher salary, is nuts. If I'm Raul, I wouldn't be holding my breath at a higher salary.

Not to mention, he will soon be 1 month out of game playing shape.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oye papa!!

Golo100" said:
Mondes? dijo que debido al cambio positivo del proceso judicial que enfrenta, estar?a dispuesto a firmar con un equipo para regresar a las Grandes Ligas este mismo a?o.

"La pr?xima cita en la corte ser? el 16 de junio, pero si las cosas siguen como van, podr?a estar disponible para viajar antes de esa fecha a los Estados Unidos... Vamos a esperar que sucede en el fin de semana", dijo Mondes?.

TW
I was a little skeptical after reading your thread. I have never been a Mondesi fan and since he left the Pirates I asked myself what was the real motive that this guy, as ignorant and arrogant as he is, could just walk away from so much money, althought not as much as he thought that he "deserves" to get paid, would do something so stupid. In my book, this has nothing to do with Mario Guerrero and more to do with his pride. The man was making US $ 13,000,000.00 in 2003 and is such a problematic person that nobody wanted him and had to settle for US $ 1,400,000.00. That's a BIG difference. His pride would not have let him play for "so little" so he came up with an excuse to get fired in order to get a better deal. And now what Golo have said makes alot of sense. Have you guys asked yourselves why he waited until the season started to start all this bullshi* since he could have taken care of it on the off season?.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
The latest

I saw an interview with Mario Guerrero and his lawyer regarding this case and it almost made me believe this guy is really suing Raul with lethal intentions and has gone to the extent of accusing Mondy of driving around with some armed goons looking to kill him.

Recent events lead me to believe they may not be in this together to extort money from the Pirates or the "new" team Mondy expects to sign him, but I truly believe Mondy is trying on his own to create an atmosphere whereas he can get the best deal to silence Mario.

Mario, by the way, looks raggedy and just plain miserable. I can't fathom how this guy could show Mondy how to hit a baseball. If one looks at this 51 year old man, who used to be a skinny shortstop with a miserable major league career(his best year 1975 was at best mediocre), one cannot imagine him training a baseball player. He looks more like a trainer of drunk men.

TW

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Even with some teams in need of some power, Rickey Henderson, with all the baggage he brings, will get another MLB deal before Raul Mondesi. I'm not a hater of the dude, could really care less, but here are some facts.

First of all, many of the contending teams do not have salary cap room now. Any deal he signs will be MLB minimum. Even when they had cap room, none were lining up to sign him. The Pirates got him as a last resort, and he quit on them.

Think about this point. The Yankees needed a rightfielder after Paul O'Neill retired. They got Mondesi, took on his salary from the Dodgers/Toronto, and subsequently, got rid of him as soon as possible. You think the Yankees influence means nothing?

Who's Mondesi gonna use as a reference for warranting a new deal? The Dodgers? He burned those bridges. The Blue Jays? He burned those bridges too. The Yankees? He got Joe Torre mad at him, if that's possible, and burned those bridges as well. The Pirates??? He just quit on them. He's not a veteran that you can count on.

With regards to all the teams that have called him and are interested, believe none of it. Consider the source of where that optimism comes. It's sounds very similar to all the college and high-school basketball players being told that they will go in the top 5, and never get drafted. Basically trying to create an imaginary premium market for your services. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Any team or new deal that he thinks will happen is completely imagined. :p Sounds like he got real problems at home. Hope that gets solved first.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Guess what???

The Pirates have to pay Mondesi $600,000 next year if they do not exercise their option in the contract. Their releasing of Mondesi does not free them from this. That's the money he needs to solve his DR problem. So now, Mondy will get the icing on the cake...a contract with another team. You're underestimating baseball owners greed and undiscipline. They have hired drug addicts, convicted felons and troublemakers that make Mondesi look like Pope Paul. Just wait.

TW

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
So Mondesi forfeits $1.4 million this year, might or might not get another contract this year.
Will get a $600,000 buyout of his contract next year, and that's the icing on the cake?
The man made $14,000,000 last year, made a couple of thousand this year, and he's smart?
What am I missing?

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
The Pirates ain't paying him anything else

I'm not a lawyer. He bailed on the team. Only after that occurred, did they release him. They have plenty, plenty of recourse to withhold further payment. When was the last time he played?

There's nothing the almighty hypocrites of the Players Association can do, if he left the team. It's not like a MLB-ordered separation from the team. It's not like he got suspended, or tested positive for drugs. He left the team on his own accord. He left after the first month of a new contract.

Trust me, he's not getting that $600K from them. Whatever he received to date, pretty much ends the responsibility. He failed to perform, basically tearing up the contract. All bets are pretty much off. He has no recourse. If the Pirates take him to court, it gets even more ugly from a PR standpoint for him, not the Pirates, as this all is dragged out in court.

And now you're saying this dude got thugs out looking for the dude in RD who got the lawsuit on him? If this is true, and MLB has many contacts on the ground in RD, who will want this dude?

MLB owners do crazy things, but they're not gonna expose themselves or their mega-million $$$ product if he's connected in any way to what you're inferring. You think the hockey dude who tried to put a hit out on his agent will ever get another deal???

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Here's a 5/19/04 article off ESPN.com

Found this today. I'll highlight some relevant things:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1804857

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Pirates finally ran out of patience with absent outfielder Raul Mondesi, terminating his contract Wednesday when he didn't show up for the start of a three-game series against San Diego.

The Pirates cited breach of contract in ending all dealings with Mondesi, who was hitting .283 with two homers and 14 RBI when he left them May 7 to return to his native Dominican Republic and fight a lawsuit.

Mondesi was not disappointed by the Pirates' decision.

"I feel relieved now," Mondesi told The Associated Press. "I want the best for the Pirates, and considering my situation in the Dominican Republic I wasn't going to be much help to them at this moment. I have an issue to resolve and the Pirates have a schedule to complete. I understand that they've taken this measure."

Mondesi was paid approximately $192,000 of his guaranteed $1.75 million contract before leaving, but the Pirates are not required to pay any more money. He was due a $600,000 buyout if the team did not pick up his $8 million option for 2005.

Normally, clubs are responsible for the remainder of a player's contract if they release him, but Mondesi voluntarily left the Pirates.

"Initially, we were supportive of Raul and wanted to help him through this situation, with the idea of him coming back to play for us," Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield said. "But as time went on, and with us playing games every night, we had to make a call whether he was in or out. We gave him a deadline and he did not meet that deadline."

The Pirates were so quick to rid themselves of all connections to Mondesi, they pulled copies of their monthly team magazine with Mondesi on the cover and rushed out a new issue featuring shortstop Jack Wilson.

Mondesi said he was too distracted by family worries and the lawsuit when he didn't show up for the May 7 game against Los Angeles. Since then, the Pirates worked to get Mondesi back, but he told AP shortly after leaving that he wouldn't play for them again this season.

Still, Mondesi could play for another team this season if he chooses. If he clears waivers Friday, he becomes a free agent who can sign with any team. That team does not have to pick up Mondesi's contract and, should it choose, could give him more money than he was making in Pittsburgh.

"My next court date is June 13," Mondesi said. "Depending on what happens there, I'll make a decision about my immediate future in baseball."

Mondesi told several newspapers last week that he was dissatisfied with his Pittsburgh contract, but Littlefield doesn't think the salary concerns affected his decision not to return. Mondesi made $13 million last season with the Yankees and Diamondbacks.

Mondesi, 33, has a career batting average of .276 with 266 homers and 842 RBI in 12 seasons with the Dodgers, Blue Jays, Yankees, Diamondbacks and Pirates.

When Mondesi left the Pirates, he said he was fearful for his family's safety as he fights a lawsuit by former major leaguer Mario Guerrero, who says Mondesi promised him 1 percent of his major league earnings for helping develop his skills.

Mondesi argues he never met Guerrero until his career was well advanced. A Dominican civil court ruled in February that Mondesi owes Guerrero about $640,000, but Mondesi is appealing.

Once the Pirates determined Mondesi wasn't coming back, they put outfielder J.J. Davis (injured pinky finger) on the disabled list and purchased the contract of outfielder Ruben Mateo from Triple-A Nashville.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
So little upstairs

It's a shame that some of these talented Dominican baseball players have so little upstairs. Due to their poor family backgrounds and lack of good education, most of these guys are totally lost in the Major Leagues and the U.S. and even some of the most successful, although enjoying great material rewards, never do anything to improve themselves educationally or culturally. Too bad!

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Not limited to some Dominican ballplayers

American ballplayers and many new-rich people lose their perspective on things when millions of dollars are thrown at them. One trend I'm encouraged to see though is some of these high schoolers who go straight to the pros, and undergrads who leave school early, hire tutors or take classes during their early pro years to continue their education. It's not much, but it's something.

I guess I too would probably lose some perspective, but probably only a little. I probably would never lose my head, because I get bored and dizzy too quickly.

Mondesi made an unearned $13M last year, and expected to make something near that this year. Maybe had he performed a little, he might have gotten 33% that, as opposed to having to settle for a shade over 10%. And now he quits for the season. Dude walked out on $1.4M. As if he could ever make that playing for Licey or Aguilas Cibaenas. Perspective.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Biggest failing

Mondesi's greatest failing was in not realizing his potential.

He was off the charts for the 5 tools scouts use to rate players; running, hitting, power, arm/accuracy, defense/fielding.

I for one really loved to see him play, especially some of his flat-out ridiculous throws from RF. I distinctly recall seeing that cannon-arm (repeatedly) nailing runners that dared it.

But he's not much different from most professional athletes that rarely earn what they are paid. You can always just say it's an entertainment business not sports and be done with it, mine as well. He's also getting old and having a problem realizing his time has passed.

As for what he has upstairs, it doesn't matter where he's from. Like the rest of us, he's a product of his environment.

I don't seeing any teams taking him on. I think the risk/reward is ludicrous, regardless of the dollar amount.

The talk of him going to the Red Sox is pure crap. That's being hustled about by Manny "Misty" Ramirez and Pedro "Perra" Martinez, with Raul beating the drums through the press and friends.

Question: If Sosa sneezes, does Golo get a cold? :(

If Sniffles Sosa doesn't start using those handkerchiefs Golo sent him, then perhaps Mondesi will end up being the replacement in right in Wrigley.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Mondi to the Sox? Where would he play? They have Manny, Damon in center and Trot Nixon is about a week away from returning from the DL.

Ortiz plays DH/1B and Millar also plays DH/1B and OF.

That is definitely a Raul fantasy. I'd take him on the Mets for the right price.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Anyone hear that Mondesi was just signed by Anaheim? Anaheim sounds like a winning team again this year, anyone wanna make bets???