Going to Secrets Punta Cana

wlepse

May 26, 2004
My wife and I are leaving for Secrets this Friday. Last time we were there we were going to do an excursion but ended up getting a little too much sun. This time we would like to do something but we are not sure what. Can anyone recommend a nice trip or activity? We had wanted to do some of the trips but they often involve long bus rides and we both like to do our own thing and not be fixed to a schedule, would it make sense to rent a car for the day to do something? Thanks!

ginger ale

May 6, 2004
wlepse said:
My wife and I are leaving for Secrets this Friday. Last time we were there we were going to do an excursion but ended up getting a little too much sun. This time we would like to do something but we are not sure what. Can anyone recommend a nice trip or activity? We had wanted to do some of the trips but they often involve long bus rides and we both like to do our own thing and not be fixed to a schedule, would it make sense to rent a car for the day to do something? Thanks!
Hi, if you both like to do your own thing then an excursion is probably not your best bet. Most excursions do have a fixed schedule which is completely normal. As for renting a car, have you ever driven in the DR? If not, you have to be very careful, they're awful drivers.
Punta Cana is far from everything, as you've already been there you know that the area is basically all hotels with a few markets etc... it's not a city. Some of the best excursions that I recommend that are not too scheduled is the jeep safari which will allow you to discover the real dominican life and the excursion to Saona island (this one does have a 1 hr 30 - 2h bus ride depending on how many hotel pickups your bus has to make). Saona Island is an almost deserted island, there is only 1 small fisherman village and the rest are beautiful beaches. The excursion normally leaves from Punta Cana around 7:30am and heads for Bayahibe. There you board either speedboats or a catamaran. The speedboats stop at the natural water pool (piscina natural) and then the island. On the island you have free time to go wandering on the beach and then a hot lunch buffet is served. After lunch around 3pm you leave on a catamaran and navigate de shore for about 2hrs to get back to the bay. It's a wonderful excursion. Either you leave with the Catamaran and come back with the speedboats or vice versa.
Besides that you can opt for 1/2 day excursions like the 4 wheelers (quads), also great to discover the country life and there is a 1/2 day excursion to go snorkeling called Bavaro Splash, also a great experience. (small 2 seater speedboats)
If you decide to rent a car, go see one of the reps at the hotel or guest services for more information on how to drive and where to go.
Have a great holiday!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
The best!!!

...excursion I've ever taken was that to Isla Saona...

Worth the money and the memories!

I'm travelling with a big group this weekend also, and will take that trip again!!!

You'll love it!

wlepse

May 26, 2004
Thanks for the input, we almost did the Saona Island trip last time but I was pretty much sunburned and decided to back out. Maybe we will do it this time. I had wanted to check out Santo Domingo but the ride is just too far I think to make it worth while. As for renting a car, I am not too worried about the drivers, I have driven in Asia, Europe and plenty of congested cities in the US, so I have already learned how to play bumper cars!

Are there any secluded beaches with snorkeling nearby Secrets? When we were there last time the beach was washed out pretty bad from a storm and the water was quite rough, it was actually brown from churning up the sand.

Thanks again.