divorce consent

N&D

Jan 29, 2004
i've read alot about 24 hour divorces regarding needing consent meaning needing the spouse signature and such but what kind of divorces exist between dominican residents? if its two dominican residents getting a divorce would consent be needed? or can they get a divorce without a consent and if so how would the other person know that their spouse divorced them without their knowledge? same question i ask about an american married to a dominican resident. I was told that a dominican resident can divorce without the other spouses consent. without signature. How would the american know? How is that possible?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Hillbilly... you didn't read the question right... the person is not asking about quickie divorces that to be legal need the consent of both parties. The person is asking about a Dominican getting a divorce behind the back of an American. Those divorces were common in the past, but I think they are not so easy to get anymore, and doubtful in their legality. Probably Fabio can respond to this as to what is the present status. Regardless, divorce with only consent of one of the parties is a more lengthy and costly process.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The link I gave him has Fabio's opinion in it...Do you think he is getting screwed? hehehe

HB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Hillbilly said:
The link I gave him has Fabio's opinion in it...Do you think he is getting screwed? hehehe

HB

Fabio only addresses in his comment in this thread quickie divorces which require mutual consent and one person to be present to be legal. This person is asking about whether it is possible for a person to be divorced by the spouse without having found out that the divorce was made. The person is not referring to the quickie divorce procedure.

N&D

Jan 29, 2004
re: divoce consent

Hillbilly said:

HB
thank you dolores for your input.
as for hillbilly
1) been there done that. I used that as you call it SEARCH thingy before i asked the question.
2) the question has nothing to do with me getting screwed
3) fabio's opinion does not answer the question i asked
in conclusion READ THE QUESTION CAREFULLY

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Divorce in the DR is admitted on many grounds besides mutual consent, such as irreconcilable differences, adultery, conviction on a criminal charge, abandonment, etc.

Only the quick divorce procedure applicable to foreigners requires mutual consent of the spouses.

For divorces on grounds other than mutual consent, the divorce complaint must be properly notified to the defendant spouse to allow him/her to prepare his/her defense. If this is not done, the divorce can be voided on appeal. Most fraudulent divorces can be easily annulled by establishing that the defendant spouse was never notified.