Native Wear

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
Hey guys, long time no speak

I need a favor, a girlfriends daughter is graduating from kindergarten and the graduation is going to be a bit different to make it fun for the kids. They have been asked to come dressed to represent their culture, the father is dominican, the mom is hondurian, she chose the dominican ensamble, can ANYONE tell me where i might be able to get something for a little girl of 5 or what ideas i can give my girlfriend that she might be able to put together at home? any stores i might be able to get her an outfit?

thanks much

LALLA

I am in NY

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
She chose the wrong one!

She should have taken the Honduran dress. they have really fantastic native cloth and designs.

Quite truthfully, what passes for "Native" wear here is a red, blue or green long wide skirt and a white blouse and some sort of 'do-rag' hair cover.

Remember, the Indians were mostly wiped out and their culture buired under the Spanish sulers 400 years ago. As a minority, and ever more so, the Taino culture was pretty much forgotten. There is more African heritage here than true Indian heritage. Sad but pretty true.

HB