Racism Among Tourist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starz_in_my_eye

Nov 29, 2003
A quick question for you all. Feel free to be HONEST. The responses shall prove to be educational. What is the world coming to when an adult teaches his/her child to hate?

I'm curious to know what the Europeans think of Northerners from African American & Hispanic decent? We just returned from a resort in DR and felt very uncomfortable with all eyes on us. At first racism was not a thought in our mind, until my 4 year old grandchild was asked to participate in one of the resort plays, and a child the same age, told her that she could not play and called her a "puffhead". This is something obviously taught by a parent, and very hurtful to a child of 4. So much for John Lennon giving peace a chance.

We as a family are wondering how we should respond to the questions that this 4 year old is now asking about this situation. Any suggestions?

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I don't know, Starz, "puffhead" sounds like it could have been made up by a kid - certainly not a term I've ever heard before!

In any case, I think age 4 is a bit too young to start explaining the wicked ways of this world. I would downplay the event or just blow it off completely. My kids have come home wounded from the battles of kid life, too, and, so far, it hasn't been due to racism - just other children with issues who suck.

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
Racism is just something that everyone must deal with. You are absolutely right that parents teach their children racism and hatred towards those that are different, because my parents did, but as this child gets older and get common sense, usually they realized that hey its stupid to hate based on race, culture, social standings, religion, etc etc.

As I said my step father and real father are both completely racist and I grew up hearing many many foul things about people, but now even at the age of 19, I have realized that it is foolish. I have never hated anyone based on race, but some people do and we can not change they way they are! Let people hate, because people who hate will never live a life of love.

my .02

SSSSSiiiiiddddddd

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Racism

Escott said:
In some countries such as Saudi Arabia they teach their children in school to hate Jews. They say that Jews make their bread with the blood of Islamic kids.

You have it easy compared to Israelis.

That is not true. I lived there for a number of years. One of my best friends then and even now is a son of King Saud and when I had an accident and broke a bone in my foot, he knew the best doctor/surgeon to help -- would you believe he lived in Riyadh and was Jewish!!!!

Wales

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Escott said:
In some countries such as Saudi Arabia they teach their children in school to hate Jews. They say that Jews make their bread with the blood of Islamic kids.

You have it easy compared to Israelis.

I agree with Wales, this is absolutely not true of Saudi Arabia, I also lived there for a number of years, and found no such racism.

Randi

Mar 14, 2004
Perhaps not as frequently in Saudi Arabia but Escott is correct, the Jews and Arabs are both raised to hate one another-especially in Israel. That mentality is a horrible one that breeds an endless cycle of prejudice, war, and hate. And unfortunately, it's not isolated to that area of the world. Discrimination and racism are found wherever there is ignorance and uneducated people (and I'm not just talking book smarts).

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Extremist most visable

Look the US is considered by some one of the most racist countries. The trouble is that the Nathan Bedford Forrest of the World are loudest and most direct. The normal moral rightious person is not bent on conflict either for bad or for good so unless confronted with it directly will usually stay quite so all that is seen is the extremist.
John

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Randi said:
Perhaps not as frequently in Saudi Arabia but Escott is correct, the Jews and Arabs are both raised to hate one another-especially in Israel. That mentality is a horrible one that breeds an endless cycle of prejudice, war, and hate. And unfortunately, it's not isolated to that area of the world. Discrimination and racism are found wherever there is ignorance and uneducated people (and I'm not just talking book smarts).
You are not talking book smarts, that I can agree with. You are talking BS.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Children and race!

When my daughter who is over 30 was in first grade, a black child called her a whity. You are a whity, your mama is a whity and your grate-grama is a whity. My daughter who did not understand why this child was saying such mean things, keeped saying but my grama speak Spanish, and crying, the Principal called me on the phone and drove her home. She was devastated, It was not what she said alone, it was the hate in the tone of another first grader. She is a white , diamond blue eyes, dark brown hair. So all children come to know discrimination. When she was three, I took a trip to New York City and while on the Bus I was quite surprised when she complemented a black woman on her beautiful tan. We live in Glendale, Ca a city that was not integrated 1973. They had deed restritions, my daughter had not seen a black person before, since I did not drive. I am a native Dominican.

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
If my child asked why someone would say this, I would say because there are ignorant people in this world. That is the damned truth. Hate is ignorance!!

La Gata

Jul 16, 2003
www.myspace.com
I completely agree! because it is bull! Complete bull and I can not believe that you think that!

Granted America is the melting pot and there are a variety of races, but what makes you think that?!

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
back to your cave seachange

That is so stupid ,racist ,and misguided. Maybe your next comment should be that you don't like white people and will treat your children to the same myopic view.

leggie

Jun 3, 2004
Let your daughter know how much you love her and teach her that racism is wrong, but there are some people (both adults and children), who do not always want new friends and therefore say things that are not nice.

You must make sure that she is re-assured that there is nothing wrong with her but it is the people who say things that are not nice who have the problem.

We should all be proud of who we are and not be categorised by the actions of others.

bobnoxious

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 2, 2002
All you say is good till...

You live in a place where you just "too white" for your own good. Then you know ( or actually your children know) what it's really like. Really, the children know better...listen to them...they know! They live it every day.

We're adults, we just see it. But thei lil' folk, they just live with your life choices. Be careful!!!!!!!!

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Children say the darnest things. I wouldn't attribute the child's comments to racism. The child did not want your grandaughter participating in the play and so she tried to make her go away by being mean, she could of called her other names more commonly used by children. I guess the hair was the most prominent thing she can pick on and so she used that. I would downplay your answer to her. She is way too young to grasp whatever you're going to tell her and concentrate instead on making your grandchild stronger. I wonder why she didn't charged back with a comment of her own? Be more persistent, I mean.

Starz_in_my_eye said:
A quick question for you all. Feel free to be HONEST. The responses shall prove to be educational. What is the world coming to when an adult teaches his/her child to hate?

I'm curious to know what the Europeans think of Northerners from African American & Hispanic decent? We just returned from a resort in DR and felt very uncomfortable with all eyes on us. At first racism was not a thought in our mind, until my 4 year old grandchild was asked to participate in one of the resort plays, and a child the same age, told her that she could not play and called her a "puffhead". This is something obviously taught by a parent, and very hurtful to a child of 4. So much for John Lennon giving peace a chance.

We as a family are wondering how we should respond to the questions that this 4 year old is now asking about this situation. Any suggestions?

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
CabareteCid said:
I completely agree! because it is bull! Complete bull and I can not believe that you think that!

Granted America is the melting pot and there are a variety of races, but what makes you think that?!

America may be a melting pot but who rises to the top?

In today's very small world at least three-quarters of the people are "non-white," and the members of this "non-white" majority population are subjected to dominion throughout their lives, either directly or indirectly, by a tiny minority of the world's people who classify themselves as white." Racism (white supremacy) then, is revealed as one of, if not the most important observable phenomenon in the world today for which social, behavioral and all other scientists should be seeking an explanation. I've offered mine, what's yours?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We "Don't Do Race Here"!!!

Although THIS thread has yet to degenerate into "Mindless Generalizations and Name Calling",our experience shows that it soon will!

THREAD CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Moderator!

Status
Not open for further replies.