Anyone stayed in the colonial city?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Do You Mean the Colonial Zone in the Capital?

There are several good hotels, like Palacio, Hotel La Condes, a lot to see historically and many eating places and of course the El Conde pedestrian mall with many shops and such. It is a bit of a hike to the malecon, e.g. the Jaragua and Melia hotels but it's all pretty compact and worth at least a day
trip if not a couple of days.

Tip: The "free" tour guides around the old buildings are anything but, and you need to have long pants and no sleevless tops to enter some of the buildings, such as the mausoleum of DR heroes and the eternal flame - the soldiers there will not admit you if not respectuflly dressed.

crazydominicana

Jun 10, 2004
Thanks!!! How far to nightclubs and stuff like that? Are there any beaches close by and what beaches would you recommend?

ricktoronto said:
There are several good hotels, like Palacio, Hotel La Condes, a lot to see historically and many eating places and of course the El Conde pedestrian mall with many shops and such. It is a bit of a hike to the malecon, e.g. the Jaragua and Melia hotels but it's all pretty compact and worth at least a day
trip if not a couple of days.

Tip: The "free" tour guides around the old buildings are anything but, and you need to have long pants and no sleevless tops to enter some of the buildings, such as the mausoleum of DR heroes and the eternal flame - the soldiers there will not admit you if not respectuflly dressed.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
nightclubs are within walking distance in the colonial zone. Most of the hottest one's are in that immediate area. Just follow the crowd at night and you should be straight. Sorry, no beaches close by. The capital has no beaches, mainly nightlife. However, Boca Chica is within 30 minutes of SD. It's pretty good as long as you ignore its minor flaws. When I go, I'm with a group of friends having fun so I don't have time to pay attention to those flaws. Be sure to try the fried fish if you make it to Boca Chica and pass by that Playa Vista place for a drink or two.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hotels in zona colonial

Hello,
I enjoyed my stay at the Mercure Comercial hotel 2 weeks ago. It's on the corner of Conde and Hostos. I booked online at www.mercure.com; they have great bargains for late bookers on their website. I just paid 59 U$ per night incl breakfast and taxes. I don't think these kind of hotels get booked full a lot.
Bartolomeo

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Beaches? Nope.

crazydominicana said:
Thanks!!! How far to nightclubs and stuff like that? Are there any beaches close by and what beaches would you recommend?

SD is on an estuary (river mouth) and it has no beaches, so Boca Chica, 40 Km east will have to do. I suspect , as is my experience, that staying in Boca Chica and visiting the capital is cheaper than the other way around.

aj2

Jun 5, 2004
[crazydominicana]What's around there? Any good resturants? Places to hang out?

There are alot of good places to eat and hang out there. Chek out www.uepa.com and in the menu go to guia local=local guide and look for
restaurant and bars and you' going to find them all. Anyway, here, are some bars and lounge located in the colonial zone.

abacus
pop lounge
tech bar
murano
mankala
xxo lounge
atarazana9
vanity
fushion rose
pate' palo
nowhere
and many more.