Punta Cana: transer airport-hotel cheaper than 20$ available?

AndySpb

Jun 10, 2004
I dont want to pay 20$ for airport taxi for 15 min of ride, knowing that normal taxi takes for this about 300 peso only. So do you know is there any other ways than taxis to go from Punta Cana air port to Playa Bavaro or El Cortecito?

aladoro

Mar 31, 2004
AndySpb said:
any other ways than taxis to go from Punta Cana air port to Playa Bavaro or El Cortecito

I guess you mean plaZa bavaro ...

"It is possible to arrive in Bavaro from the airport by public bus: simply walk outside the airport on the coastal highway and catch a gua gua to Veron first (there is gas station and a Burger King here) and then take another gua gua to Bavaro. Tell the driver the name of the hotel you are going to stay and he will indicate your stop."
(source: http://digilander.libero.it/zunelli)

just outside the airport, slightly to the right, there is a pebble wall. airport staff waiting for buses there all the time. they may even invite you to a free ride on one of those old US school buses for employees, as it happened to me. don't forget to tip the driver! step out at the crossroad with the big Texaco gas station and wait for a bus at the road heading off to the right.

HTH, a.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
An Interesting Post

AndySpb said:
I dont want to pay 20$ for airport taxi for 15 min of ride, knowing that normal taxi takes for this about 300 peso only. So do you know is there any other ways than taxis to go from Punta Cana air port to Playa Bavaro or El Cortecito?

Holiday costs $2,000, taxi to the resort in 15 minutes, to pay $6 and save $14, how much hassle will a tourist endure? To me I wouldn't think a 1% additional cost is worth the effort to find out.

AndySpb

Jun 10, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Holiday costs $2,000, taxi to the resort in 15 minutes, to pay $6 and save $14, how much hassle will a tourist endure? To me I wouldn't think a 1% additional cost is worth the effort to find out.

Flight ticket cost 238$ both ways and I don,t want pay 10% of flight for 15 min of ride.
I don,t have any holidays for 2000$... Just "last minute" very cheap tickets and I am for 1st time in PC. Wanna spend one night there and then go to SD etc..

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
I Get the Point

AndySpb said:
Flight ticket cost 238$ both ways and I don,t want pay 10% of flight for 15 min of ride.
I don,t have any holidays for 2000$... Just "last minute" very cheap tickets and I am for 1st time in PC. Wanna spend one night there and then go to SD etc..

Even as a % twenty bucks is only twenty bucks but for the hassle time is still money. There are ways I guess if you have time to spend. And it is really saving $14 not $20, even less reason to bother other than to prove it can be done.

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
I flew into PC last month. The taxi drivers wanted about US$40.00 to drive me to Higuey. Instead of accepting, I walked over to the entrance of the airport where passengers departing the DR were being dropped off. I talked to a small tour bus driver and he agreed to take me to Higuey for US$10.00.

If you're comfortable speaking spanish, asking for local prices instead of tourist prices, and willing to negotiate; a deal can be made.

Good Luck!!!!

MCM

AndySpb

Jun 10, 2004
2Ricktoronto
If you don;t have nothing to answer to my question then just skip this thread and don;t write here nothing. It is your right to overpay everywhere and this is my right to pay the real price.

2all
thanks for answers

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
What is the real price? The price is more of a matter of what you pay for is what you get. If you want to pay less and transit by bus you wait more at the bus stops, the transit time is longer, have no room to store your excess luggage unless you want to pay for the extra seat to store it, and you need to be able put up with hot and crowded coaches with no a/c. Sometimes the gua gua will pass you by because there is no room on board. The transit by gua gua from the airport to Plaza Bavaro is about 100 Pesos and will include a change of buses at the Veron crossroads. The transit time by bus will be about 45 minutes, not including the wait time at the bus stops. By taxi the transit will be no longer than 20-30 minutes,

Regards,
PJT

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Vaya Brother!!

AndySpb said:
$ 238 for a round trip, man, that is a GREAT price. Just do as aladoro told you and catch a bus. If you save $15, that's a few more presidentes. Have fun!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
In Your Ear

AndySpb said:
2Ricktoronto
If you don;t have nothing to answer to my question then just skip this thread and don;t write here nothing. It is your right to overpay everywhere and this is my right to pay the real price.

2all
thanks for answers

Don't confuse attempting to underpay in a 2 hour exercise with all the rest of the real world "overpaying". If you've managed a $238 fare vs. normal higher fares, live a little and pay retail and enjoy the vacation. As for other tourists, they would probably value knowing that $20 is not an unfair tariff and it is more sensible than hitchiking or taking buses all the day for a lousy 14 bucks.