Toothpaste?!?!?!?

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I twisted my ankle running yesterday and it is a little swollen so I put ice on it. I talked with my girlfriend who said I should put toothpaste on it to reduce the swelling. Is this some kind of Dominican thing or she just pulling my leg (ankle)?

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Never heard of using toothpaste to reduce swelling, I've heard people recommend it for burns though. Try it, couldn't hurt.

Chris_NJ said:
I twisted my ankle running yesterday and it is a little swollen so I put ice on it. I talked with my girlfriend who said I should put toothpaste on it to reduce the swelling. Is this some kind of Dominican thing or she just pulling my leg (ankle)?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I heard it for burns too - the cooling effect does help.

Put ice on it as soon as possible and keep it there as long as you can handle it. It will cut down on the swealling dramatically within the next few days.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Ice and elevate your ankle is what I learned in First Aid.
My Mom told me to use toothpaste for burns as well but I"m not sure it if ever really worked? lol

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I've heard toothpaste for pimples, Vicks Vapor Rub for everything from bug bites to headaches and desoderante de cajita for anything else.

The 3 Dominican cure-alls.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Jane, Vapor Rub (Vivaporu) is the equivalent to Windex (for those of you who saw the movie 'My Fat Greek Wedding') it works for just about everything!

I have a little case in purse - I have cronic allergies and sometimes it is the only thing that makes me feel better...

What about Sabila, I'm surprised someone hasnt said to rub some Aloe on the thing!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
my son got a match burn on the neck and my mother-in-law put toothpaste on it right away. took the pain away very quickly.

oniblast

Apr 26, 2003
Toothpaste....nah

Put ice and keep the ankle high...besides toothpase, people in DR use tomato paste for burns...does it work??? maybe someone that has used it should let us know.

Chris_NJ said:

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
bob saunders said:
my son got a match burn on the neck and my mother-in-law put toothpaste on it right away. took the pain away very quickly.

I wish i had known this 3 weeks ago when i was foolish enought try and pick up and move one of those disposable barbecues (thinking it hadnt been lit long enough to burn me).

OUCH!

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Talldrink said:
Jane, I thought it was salt! Which one is it??

My great-grandma is one of those ladies that never goes to the doctor and shes 90 something years old and this is her take on things

sabila:
if you have a cold or "un pechaso" you take some hone and but some sabila in it let it marinate overnite and refrigerate then you take a teaspoon of that concoction twice a day until the "pecho se limpie"

Tayota:(dont have the english word for that one)
put some sugar and some tayota and let it sit the tayota will release some water and that liquid is for you to dring

Warm Spoon:
If you get a fever blister you rub the spoon until its hot and put it on the blister it gets rid of it in 3 days flat

Gasy Stomach:
9 Malagetas
Anis de Estrella
Anis de Comer
make a tea
youll be releasing air from both "airholes" until youre air-free

Sugar or salt is supposed to clog the cut and therefore not let the blood get out in turn it stops the bleeding

Burns:
Toothpaste (as soon as posible)
Potato cut in half place it on the burn (also ASAP)
Tomato (ASAP)
these things have a cooling effect and it will suck the heat in turn making the pain more bearable She also says that the potato will not let you get a water ball on the burn

Chicken Pox (not for weak stomachs)
you bathe in your own urine (no marks in your body)

I trust her because these are all tried and true we were all raised with these "remedios" and look shes still going (strong I might add) at 90 something (we dont know her real age but my grandmother says its around the 90s

good luck

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Except salt would totally hurt! You know the old saying, rubbing salt on an old wound? Yah.

I know I've been cut and sugared more than once and have always wondered what healing effect the process could have

Talldrink, do you believe manteca de cacao removes scarring?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Have you tried "OliveOil"????????????

I remember once when "Popeye" went to see his urologist.
"Popeye" complained of a "Red, swollen penis"!
The Doctor recommended that "Popeye" stick his penis in "Oliveoil".
"Popeye" replied that that was the cause of his "problem"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheeky: :paranoid: :confused:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Criss Colon said:
I remember once when "Popeye" went to see his urologist.
"Popeye" complained of a "Red, swollen penis"!
The Doctor recommended that "Popeye" stick his penis in "Oliveoil".
"Popeye" replied that that was the cause of his "problem"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheeky: :paranoid: :confused:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Clown Bion Material but I guess my great-grandmothers remedies are clown bin material

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Jane J. said:
Except salt would totally hurt! You know the old saying, rubbing salt on an old wound? Yah.

I know I've been cut and sugared more than once and have always wondered what healing effect the process could have

Talldrink, do you believe manteca de cacao removes scarring?

They say if you rub it on your belly during pregnancy you wont have as many stretch amrks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Paging through one of the magazines that a visitor from the US gave my wife, I came across this question to Heloise: "What can yu use toothpaste for, besides brushing your teeth?" Heloise responded that "it's best to use a dab or two of the regular white past to: Shine sink fixtures (rub over faucets with a wet sponge); Remove garlic or fish odors from your hands; Clean silver jewelry in a pinch; Get rid of a pimple; Relieve itch from a mosquito bite."

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Jane, yes, manteca de cacao is good for scarring.

Lizzy, I read an article about stretch marks and that it doesnt matter what you put on them, if you are going to get them, you will. It can be heredatary and it has to do with your type of skin. The cocobutter feels good b/c you are itchy as the belly the grows tho.

Also, el te de anis is really good for colic in babies. If you mix chamomille and anis it calms the baby (manzanilla es un sedante) and el anis is good for the gassy tummies. I gave that to both my newborns (made VERY light) and had great success, specially when they were teething as well.

Is funny because everytime I tell my mom something is wrong with my kids, she is always telling me about a un ba?o de algo or un te de otra cosa. I remind her that they dont sell such things at Stop and Shop and thankfully Cigna covers the pill version of her remedy - LOL.

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Talldrink said:
Jane, yes, manteca de cacao is good for scarring.

Lizzy, I read an article about stretch marks and that it doesnt matter what you put on them, if you are going to get them, you will. It can be heredatary and it has to do with your type of skin. The cocobutter feels good b/c you are itchy as the belly the grows tho.

Also, el te de anis is really good for colic in babies. If you mix chamomille and anis it calms the baby (manzanilla es un sedante) and el anis is good for the gassy tummies. I gave that to both my newborns (made VERY light) and had great success, specially when they were teething as well.

Is funny because everytime I tell my mom something is wrong with my kids, she is always telling me about a un ba?o de algo or un te de otra cosa. I remind her that they dont sell such things at Stop and Shop and thankfully Cigna covers the pill version of her remedy - LOL.

Well im in new york and in washington heights which they call "santo dominguito" they sell all of those herbs and spices and other "curative" things that grandmothers use. and if they dont have it theres always someone coming back from dr to bring some canela (because the one they have here is not rustic enough or "tan muy procesa" like they say) the funny part is that we didnt get as sick as the kids now that dont have a "big mama" sort of figure. We might think its crazy but it is true we grew up much healthier and now thanks to her I can share my medial expertise with the forum LOL :laugh: