'Palacio del Son' in Villa Mella

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Has anyone been to the 'Palacio del Son' in Villa Mella barrio of SD? I have heard positive feedback about it and would like to check it out in a couple of weeks time when I am back in SD.
What is the best night to go and from what time on?
Is it Cuban son they play (and dance?) or a dominican version of it?
Do you also hear salsa, merengue and bachata or just son?
What is the level of the dancers and do you as a man have to bring your dancepartners if you don't know anyone there, and you want to make sure you can dance?
What is the dress code in this place?
Is this the only 'son' place in Villa Mella, I remember having read a different name in some tourist guide a couple of years ago?
Thanks for any info.
Bartolomeo

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
I heard of el 'Monumento al Son' in la Zona Oriental. Is that the same place? Well, recently a very good friend recommended that I check it out and unfortunately I didn't get to go, but I heard it was really good. Cuban son, mambo, cha-cha, and 'old-school' salsa is what I was told.

When you find the place, please post the address and phone #, or send me a PM. I'm not crazy about its potential location in Villa Mella or Z.O., but it sounds like a joint I will really like nonetheless, so I'll go.

I suggest you bring a dance partner. You probably will find one or two single ladies who will dance with you, but I wouldn't risk it. And I haven't seen really good son-salsa dancers in Santo Domingo anyway.

Dress casually and comfortably, but no shorts and no sneakers. Look "in". Understated elegance is really cool.

Let me know how it goes. Have fun!

-Indie

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Son

Indie said:
When you find the place, please post the address and phone #, or send me a PM. I'm not crazy about its potential location in Villa Mella or Z.O., but it sounds like a joint I will really like nonetheless, so I'll go.

-Indie

Thanks for the info Indie.
I will surely give you feedback on these 'son' palaces after I get back.
Bartolomeo