College Student Budget Trip

smallbrian

May 11, 2004
Greetings -

Looking for a budget trip in DR. I currently live in Santo Domingo and I looking for a taste of everything around the island - Jarabacoa is a given...Im on a student budget - ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
DR can be very easy on the budget

You can cover most of the country by taking Metro or Caribe Tours buses. There are also other smaller "guagua" companies with routes that criss-cross the whole country.

You can also find budget (usually family-run) small hotels for around RD$ 500 a night or less. A great paperback to pick up is "The Rough Guide to the Dominican Republic, 2nd Edition, by Sean Harvey". I can lend you my copy if you can't locate one.

Explore and enjoy !

smallbrian said:
Greetings -

Looking for a budget trip in DR. I currently live in Santo Domingo and I looking for a taste of everything around the island - Jarabacoa is a given...Im on a student budget - ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Formosano has given you what you need. Re Jarabacoa, since you indicate you are in Santo Domingo, the most comfortable way to get there would be Caribe Tours bus from Santo Domingo. Don't know the cost, probably around RD$200. If you check the archives, you'll see some hotels referred to.

Basically, when you get to the first place you are going, ask them the best way to get to the next place you want to visit. To be safe, ask a couple of people since there may be alternatives. And get a copy of the Caribe Tours and Metro bus schedules. Caribe Tours, especially, goes to a lot of places.

Apr 26, 2002
If you need any help around Jarabacoa, send me a PM. Cheap hotels that don't rent by the hour are a bit of a challenge in Jarabacoa.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Like the Colonial are 12 bucks to 14 bucks a night.

Plenty to do nite times

Or go to Montecristi and look around.

HB