Don't eat shellfish on the beach!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I had the unfortunate experience last week of eating some raw oysters on the Malecon in Puerto Plata. I was sick for two days straight. Afterwards, I was warned that you should never eat shellfish that vendors sell on the beach (i.e. oysters, shrimp, etc.) or walking around in town as they walk around with their goods all day in the hot sun and whatever they don't sell they go home, put it in the fridge overnight and bring it out the next day. To those travellers who may be tempted to indulge in the local food on the beach, please save yourself the agony and misfortune of spending part of your holiday in bed.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sorry you had such a bad experience. I always eat shrimp or oysters at Sosua beach and never had a problem. I also tried empanadas last time, Yummy! I did note that the shellfish was in ice.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
I shy away from the beach food vendors, except at semana santa, when I watch it being cooked. I skip the empanadas because they usually have onion in them, but La Bruja eats them. My favourite is the boiled eggs, still in the shell. "They can't get their fingers in those." A line from an old navy ditty, but still appropos up country where sanitation is often an illusion. In Santo Domingo though, I took HB's advice and ate Quipe at the street stalls where the guys swore blind there were no onions in. A couple of other vendors said theirs had onion but sold me a cheese based concoction whose name escapes me. No ill effects. Never seen raw oysters in Las Galeras, but I enjoyed them on the beach, early in the morning, in Venezuela. Stan.

Just realised I am confusing empanadas with pastellitas.

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have been told that some street vendors get their oysters from the rivers. If this is true, then its no surprise people are getting sick because all kinds of chit is in those rivers.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Fiesta Mama, I think you just had a bad batch. I and everyone else that I know that goes to the beach always eats them (along with lambi and other 'stuff) and we've never gotten sick.

You can get sick from the fish you buy at your local Shop Rite, that doesnt mean that all of it is bad.

I dont know about the fishing in rivers, I see the local fisherman in their little yolas coming back from the sea and selling the stuff within a few minutes...

richard

Jan 1, 2002
shell fish

I was advised at one time to never eat shellfish in a month that doesn't have an "r" in it.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
I was advised at one time to never eat shellfish in a month that doesn't have an "r"

I was advised to only eat shellfish on a day that has "Y" in it. Stan.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i grew up digging oysters and clams and other things like that up in New England....there the myth is the months with U....(cuz that are the warmer months when the red-tide bacteria grows.

Thing is...you have NO idea if the resaurants are serving fish that is any better or safter than what you find on the beach. I have to say...that on my first visit i did eat some camarones and pulpo on the beach and never had a problem...i even drank the water at constalunga and didnt have a problem!!!!

I think it all depends what bacteria one is used to. I grew up eating raw oysters and eating clams even when red tide closed all the clam flats....and now i occasionaly eat a NYC hotdog from a street cart.

I havent ate off the beach tho since my first visit....and i do get bottled water delivered to my room. and i havent tried the fried fish at the end of the beach (but it looks SOOOOOO good!!!!!). i just dont want to risk getting sick while on vacation.

Funny thing tho...is that i usualy end up with a bad stomach AFTER i get back home. (i think that is due to the fact that i eat very lite there...and get overwhelmed by the portions here).

Sorry you got a bad tummy :-(

jj