Questions from 1st time visitor

RhonaP

Jul 16, 2004
Hi, I couldn't believe the great deal we're getting at the Coral Marien AI, so my family of 4 will be in Puerto Plata last week in August. I would appreciate any answers to the following ?

1. Is the taxi about $30 from airport to hotel ?

2. Should I book transfers beforehand or just get a taxi when we land ?

3. What tours would be suitable for an 8 and 13 year old ?

4. I've read about the 28 level waterfalls but would my children be able to do any part of this ? And for that matter, since I'm not a strong swimmer what there to do for me ?

5. Where can I get tours at a lower price ? They all seem rather expensive for 1/2 or full day tours.

6. How is the beach at this hotel? Should my son bring his boogie board ?

7. We've done a couple of time share presentations, the last one last month in Puerto Vallarta and actually go $250. cash. Are any time share presentations here worth my time ?

8. Should I bring umbrellas ? What could we do in the rain ? Any close shopping areas ?

9. I've read to bring the kids candy and school supplies. Any type of candy that you would recomend ? Should I bring any gently used clothing and if so, whom would I give it to ?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much.

Rhona
RhonaP@aol.com

Long Island, NY

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Some Answers

2. If you are on a package areen't transfers included? If not if you want to see the word "plethora" in action have a look at taxis already in front of a Dominican airport.

As long as you get a certain price worked out with the driver ( write it down if you like) and preferably use a taxi with a tourist taxi logo on the door (since they all cost the same more or less and I am assuming like SDQ there are licensed tourist taxis), booking in advance is probably not really needed. If you are arriving at 2 a.m. like on Jet Blue then yes, it would be.

3 and 5. Don't bother with the tours. Hire a car and driver and go see something authentic. Captive porpoises being tortured by being trapped in a small lagoon isn't natural. Nor are "safaris" "drunken cruises" etc. The list goes on.

7. There is no such thing as a time share presentation just for the prize in the Crackerjack box unless your time on vacation is worth little or nothing..

8. If you are going to a place where it could rain an umbrella sounds like quite a good idea. This would apply where you live also, BTW (in between trips to the DR I have to work, and I carry an umbrella in my briefcase every day. It has come in useful when it rained).

During the summer unless there is a tropical depression or a hurricane rain is usually a pretty short-lived event, so don't worry that much about it.

9. For gifts (like maids and the like) - give them money not candy (which the average Dominican kid needs like a hole in the teeth). Specifically tip properly and hand it to them vs. leaving it on the bed, as maids may think you left it behind and won't take it, and also, the maids may differ from time to time.

If you want REALLY GOOD service, a tip (of $$$$) early means you stand out, since I bet 99% of tourists don't tip well or at all (and more so - 99.99999% of them in AI's are rotten tippers). Makeup, used clothing etc. implies you are thinking they need charity and is quite offensive. There was quite a good thread on this a few months back, right here on DR1.

As an example, I eat at an AI Chinese restaurant in BC - they actually allow mongrels like me and my buddies to pay whilst the AI zombies eat off a set menu - which is actually quite mediocre compared to all the stuff they do make (and sell to me and my buddies). After observing maybe 100 families on the AI plan eat there I have seen maybe 5 groups tip ANYTHING, that is, an amount more than ZERO.

One French group of 6 tipped , get this, TEN PESOS (25 cents) for a full dinner. If I was the help there I would spit in their food next time, though they may like that. (Ironically, it WAS RD$10 more than the other 94 groups) The wait and bus staff are totally underpaid service employees, and tips are as normal to them, based on a reasonable value for the meal as where you actually pay for food (and if the AI is not FREE you are paying for the food, cafeteria-like as it may be) . End of sermon. Also service in the buffet restaurants is better if you tip decently too, try it - hand the host/ess US$5 on day one, see the quality of the table on day 2-7.

Clothes could go to a church, who'd appreciate money as well.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sounds pretty good to me

I know that $30 is way too much for a taxi, but I don't know the fares. Maybe BsuhBaby will chime in here with a little update.

HB ::::D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Last time I was at airport, the posted taxi rates were US$15 to Sosua and US$20 to Puerto Plata. You shouldn't be charged more than $20.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Rhona,
Taxi fare POP airport to Coral Marien is U.S.$20, payable in dollars these days! As Ricktoronto says, if you are on a package holiday, transfers will be included. Look for rep. bearing logo of your tour company outside arrivals at POP airport & follow the crowd to awaiting coaches.

RhonaP

Jul 16, 2004
Thanks for the info. We do not have a package price that includes transfers. I booked the hotel by itself from a travel agency in FL and am using airline vouchers from a bumped flight.

Rhona

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Coral Merien @ Costa Dorada.

RhonaP said:
1. Is the taxi about $30 from airport to hotel ? Others have answered already.

2. Should I book transfers beforehand or just get a taxi when we land ?
See the FAT guy holding up the Taxi sign. Tell him "Bush" or "The Gringo with the pipe" said to get you the best price .... US $20 max!!

3. What tours would be suitable for an 8 and 13 year old?
The Jeep Safari is good fun but the walk to the waterfalls is 30 minutes up a riverbed. Your children should be prepared for this! Wear tie up plimsoles/trainers that you are prepared to get wet!! NOT much swimming involved & guides will help your children (& you) up the waterfalls!! Look also at Gri-Gri Lagoon, The cable-car ride (do it on your own rather than by excursion!!), Ocean World (expensive but good), The amusement park outside Playa Dorada (Go-carts etc) & the Water-park near Sosua.

4. I've read about the 28 level waterfalls but would my children be able to do any part of this ? And for that matter, since I'm not a strong swimmer what there to do for me ?
See Above.

5. Where can I get tours at a lower price ? They all seem rather expensive for 1/2 or full day tours.
You will be approached on the beach by many sellers of tours/excursions, but your best bet is to buy them from the official companies in the Playa Dorada shopping complex. Turn right on the beach & walk 10/15 minutes into the Playa Dorada complex!! Alav Tours are generally fairly reliable.

6. How is the beach at this hotel? Should my son bring his boogie board ? Boogie boards SHOULD be available at the hotel but IF you have enough room in your luggage, he MIGHT be more comfortable on his own board. Tne beach is NOT typical Caribbean with white sands, but the swell is good for boogie boarding!!

7. We've done a couple of time share presentations, the last one last month in Puerto Vallarta and actually go $250. cash. Are any time share presentations here worth my time ?
Not really. A bottle of rum & t-Shirts are the normal handouts. Only go to these IF you have an interest in buying something!!

8. Should I bring umbrellas ? What could we do in the rain ? Any close shopping areas ?
No, Lots of activities, Playa Dorada complex & trip into Puerto Plata!!

9. I've read to bring the kids candy and school supplies. Any type of candy that you would recomend ? Should I bring any gently used clothing and if so, whom would I give it to ?
I personally don't approve of candy issuance for reasons as mentioned by RickToronto. Colouring Books & crayons, school books & pencils, clothes, shoes, perfumes are ALL good, but CASH is King here right now. Don't OVER tip, but make sure it is fair, reasonable & goes to the person you WANT it to go to.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.
Relax, enjoy & enter into the laid back way of life here. Do this & you will be back time & time again!! - Grahame.