Available Job in the NYC Area?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I have a friend who just came from DR. She is a business graduate there, but as you know, she cannot work with that diploma here in the States.

Do any of you that live in the NYC/NJ area know of any general jobs available? She does not speak English (which is why I'm forced to reach out to you because it limits my possibilities to help her out with my own contacts).

Anybody hiring? Any ideas?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Boy Quite the DR Relationship

Friend came from DR to USA needs job in USA, logical place to ask a web board about not the USA, but where she left. And unilingual, check colmados in Washington Heights.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
A few suggestions...

Hey Talldrink,

My friend's cousin from DR has been coming and going from DR every 6 months or so and has worked in various bodegas in Harlem/Washington Heights - I will ask what her strategy has been. Also, she could try those "Pronto Envio" and travel agencies that are all over uptown.

Another friend has 2 uncles with bodegas - 1 in Queens, 1 on St. Nicholas Ave - I could give them a call.

My brother's girlfriend was manager of Havana Bay Coffee Shop (its like a Cuban Starbucks but with better food) in Union City, NJ. There are always people fresh in the country working there. Also, in Union City (Bergenline Avenue) there are a million Spanish speaking businesses (bars, restaurants, travel agencies, etc).

There are a lot of options but of course they won't pay very well. When will she arrive here?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Chris, thanks for all the info. she is actually already in NY, I think the Bronx. But she says she is willing to travel if not move if necessary.

I have to do some asking around myself, she just called me this morning, so hopefully we can place her somewhere soon.

It was nice to meet you the other day. Thanks again!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Talldrink said:
Chris, thanks for all the info. she is actually already in NY, I think the Bronx. But she says she is willing to travel if not move if necessary.

I have to do some asking around myself, she just called me this morning, so hopefully we can place her somewhere soon.

It was nice to meet you the other day. Thanks again!

Talldrink,
My stepdad has a bodega here in the Bronx. I will ask him when I see him today if he needs someone.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Talldrink...

First of all, I sincerely commend you for going out of your way to help out your friend during these hard times in NYC and DR. Good for you! You reap what you sow, you know...

My suggestion is to have your friend go to La Alianza Dominicana in Washington Heights and to state her case to them. They should be able to place her somewhere; they are a not-for-profit agency established by Dominicans in NYC to help Dominicans in NYC. They also offer ESL classes and other very helpful and useful seminars. I really think this is a better venue for your friend.

Sorry, I don't have their number, but if you call 411 or do a google search for them, you should be able to come up with their phone, website and location info. Let me know how it goes.

Good luck!

-Indie