Important ? regarding passport

DominicanHeart

Jul 2, 2004
We're leaving on Wednesday for POP and my sister just discovered that her passport is expired. She called the passport office to get an appointment and they're telling her the 1st available appointment is 8/3, which obviously does not help her. Many people have told me that they have travelled to DR with an expired passport, original birth certficate and license. Anyone have any first hand experience or advice?? I would hate for her not to be able to go!!

P.S. It's an American passport.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Yes & No

BigCity27 said:
state-issued birth certificate & valid driver's license will suffice

I do it all the time!
But the state department has issued a warning of Dominican Custom Agents not allowing US citizens to leave the country without a valid passport and thereby sending them to the US consulant for a passport

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dominican Authorities don't have to see

Your passport.

Just use the birthcertificate and the DL as proof of citizenship when you enter and leave---

DR authorities have no authority over US citizens ID. You can use your BC and DL and only show the Passport to US officials. After all it is they that say whether you can enter or leave the US of A.

The DR wants tourists. So all you need is "proof of citizenship." And a valid Birth Certificate and a Drivers License are sufficient. Just keep the passport as back up. I have travelled for years on expired passports...Even expired , they are the best proof of identy going.

Don't sweat it

HB

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Yup

I've seen many people enter USA with birth certificate and driver's license. They tend to get held up in the lines though. I travel with passport, certified copy of birth certificate and driver's license just in case . . . . I also keep money in the bank there just in case . . . .

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Ricardo900 said:
I do it all the time!
But the state department has issued a warning of Dominican Custom Agents not allowing US citizens to leave the country without a valid passport and thereby sending them to the US consulant for a passport

While the warning exists, the first case of someone sent back has yet to happen. I believe this is just a bluff way to get Americans to get their passports.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Tracking

Dolores said:
While the warning exists, the first case of someone sent back has yet to happen. I believe this is just a bluff way to get Americans to get their passports.

You're probably right, the US can track someones comings and goings thru their passport.

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
A Dl and birth certificate are sufficient. Also, if your sister has a different last name than what is on her birth certificate (due to marriage or divorce,etc) she will need to show proof of the name change. A certified copy of the marriage license or divorce decree should do.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Yes and Yes Would be More Accurate

Ricardo900 said:
I do it all the time!

Utter nonsense. My friend just got back to the DR from NYC, using an expired drivers license and a copy of his birth certificate. No hassle going in either direction. Well one thing: the migracion on exit tried to charge 2000 pesos for overstaying his tourist card about 2 years but that is not the right fee and he refused to pay it and they backed down to the amount on the signs.

The minute one tourist with a library card and a bus pass tries to leave and gets sent to the Consulate (not consultant) they say "there have been cases". Millions of travellers ,especially charters would be compromised and the DR ain't stupid. What you do encounter are people with similar features trying to get out using relatives' ID, hence this sort of double confirmation happening. And by bet rarely and my bet is when and if it does there is a game afoot.

All that aside, I agree that it makes much more sense to have and use a valid passport when travelling outside your home country. One good reason is any sort of plans to exit in a hurry via other than the USA would fall apart without one. No trips via Panama, Cuba, etc., in an emergency. Canada is cool with US residents and non-passport travel though.

Wannago

May 27, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Utter nonsense. My friend just got back to the DR from NYC, using an expired drivers license and a copy of his birth certificate. No hassle going in either direction. Well one thing: the migracion on exit tried to charge 2000 pesos for overstaying his tourist card about 2 years but that is not the right fee and he refused to pay it and they backed down to the amount on the signs.

The minute one tourist with a library card and a bus pass tries to leave and gets sent to the Consulate (not consultant) they say "there have been cases". Millions of travellers ,especially charters would be compromised and the DR ain't stupid. What you do encounter are people with similar features trying to get out using relatives' ID, hence this sort of double confirmation happening. And by bet rarely and my bet is when and if it does there is a game afoot.

All that aside, I agree that it makes much more sense to have and use a valid passport when travelling outside your home country. One good reason is any sort of plans to exit in a hurry via other than the USA would fall apart without one. No trips via Panama, Cuba, etc., in an emergency. Canada is cool with US residents and non-passport travel though.

I just went thru 2 different customs stations between Canada and U.S. this past week and they both examined my passport more than when I arrived and left the D.R. They asked more questions... almost broke out in a sweat.. like I was guilty of something. :devious:

Deb

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
They Will Do That

Wannago said:
I just went thru 2 different customs stations between Canada and U.S. this past week and they both examined my passport more than when I arrived and left the D.R. They asked more questions... almost broke out in a sweat.. like I was guilty of something. :devious:

Deb

You get to like the don't care (except for bribes) attitude of migracion and exit/control in the DR, though when I connect in MIA on the way home not once have the INS/DHS agents been anything other than pleasant, polite and fast. (though the ones at Toronto pre-clearnce all act like Eliot Ness half the time for some reason)

Canada used to harangue as to the frequency of my visits, until I pointed out Section 6 of the Charter once and that shut them up fast since I was right.

Still they do try to catch the fakers in the act with a few questions but if you are Canadian once they establish that they are not supposed to grill you further. Just tell them you are Canadian, you have a right to enter and you declared all purchases and that should suffice. Authority figures excercise authority over those who are willing to submit more than anyone else.

Wannago

May 27, 2004
ricktoronto said:
You get to like the don't care (except for bribes) attitude of migracion and exit/control in the DR, though when I connect in MIA on the way home not once have the INS/DHS agents been anything other than pleasant, polite and fast. (though the ones at Toronto pre-clearnce all act like Eliot Ness half the time for some reason)

Canada used to harangue as to the frequency of my visits, until I pointed out Section 6 of the Charter once and that shut them up fast since I was right.

Still they do try to catch the fakers in the act with a few questions but if you are Canadian once they establish that they are not supposed to grill you further. Just tell them you are Canadian, you have a right to enter and you declared all purchases and that should suffice. Authority figures excercise authority over those who are willing to submit more than anyone else.

The AF were for the most part nice, but even in Germany I don't think they asked so many questions as I came and went. I am a U.S. citizen and I really don't mind the scrutiny. But being the submissive type, maybe they do like to exercise authority over me. The D.R. people just look at your papers, smile and say "have a nice stay".

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
The Who?

Wannago said:
The AF were for the most part nice, but even in Germany I don't think they asked so many questions as I came and went. I am a U.S. citizen and I really don't mind the scrutiny. But being the submissive type, maybe they do like to exercise authority over me. The D.R. people just look at your papers, smile and say "have a nice stay".

What are the "AF"?

I think the DR for tourists in and out, don't expect non-locals to understand them and on the incoming side tourism is 99.9% of the reason and customs does the shakedown (though how customs expects tourists to understand Spanish any better than migracion doesn't expect them to is a mystery). Cuban migracion officers are also dead silent as you enter and sit in booths so low all you see are the tops of their heads. (What's Spanish for dandruff?)

Now with this stupid 15 day tourist card limit the tax people get to try the shakedown on the way out and again the migracion are left out.

I can only assume like a restaurant or bar they pool their tips. I'd hate to be a migracion guy in a world where everyone after me has their hand out and I can't get a piece.

Wannago

May 27, 2004
ricktoronto said:
What are the "AF"?

I think the DR for tourists in and out, don't expect non-locals to understand them and on the incoming side tourism is 99.9% of the reason and customs does the shakedown (though how customs expects tourists to understand Spanish any better than migracion doesn't expect them to is a mystery). Cuban migracion officers are also dead silent as you enter and sit in booths so low all you see are the tops of their heads. (What's Spanish for dandruff?)

Now with this stupid 15 day tourist card limit the tax people get to try the shakedown on the way out and again the migracion are left out.

I can only assume like a restaurant or bar they pool their tips. I'd hate to be a migracion guy in a world where everyone after me has their hand out and I can't get a piece.

AF = Authority Figures ;)

Security is fine at airports... they can search me all they want... but as I drive thru customs at Ontario/U.S. ... well some want the title of your car, proof of insurance, your passport, b.c. (birth certificate), d.l. etc. Wow, it's quite the shakedown... but all in the name of security and safety.. it's ok.

Gee I wanted to go to the DR1 party in London.. missed it by a day :(

Deb