Visitors Visa to the US

terry wisconsin

Jul 23, 2004
My intent is to travel again to Santo Domingo to be with my girlfriend and obtain a visitor's visa from the US Consulate. She is Dominican, and I am a U.S. citizen.

Is this a difficult process? If we were to wed in SD, would this complicate, or benefit the process? How much time would it require? Would a local attorney in SD help in such affairs?

Would appreciate any advice any has to offer.

Terry

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Extremely Difficult

Obtaining a visotor's visa for a Dominican is an extremely difficult process. You can go in with all of you "i"s dotted and "t"s crossed and she will be summarily rejected. For purposes of marriage, of course a valid marriage makes things incredibly easier however, its still a lengthy and laborious process. Finally, there are differences of opinion on whether you should get married down there or up here by obtaining her a K-1 visa. Go into the DR1 archives and you'll find a wealth of information.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am betting that there is no way in hell she can get a visa to "visit" the US.

Does she have a job? A good job with a major company?
Does she have a credit care/banking account/debit card?
Has she travelled anywhere?

If she worked for a major company, the company could request a visa for her.

If she has no property, novehicle, no major money in a bank or S&L, she will be turned down automatically.

YOur hope is the K=1 visa...

HB

Of course that is the hope of her entire family too!! :D:D:D

bonao1969

May 8, 2004
K-1 Visa

I met a woman in The DR. I filed for A K-1 Fiance Visa. When she arrives, you have 90 days to get married. If you don't, she has to go back. The visa was approved in 4 months. There is a lot of paper work, but it is the only way to go. If you marry them first, the 2 year waiting period she will have to do, is in the DR. If you get her here first, then the 2 year waiting period for her residency will be here. You can use a immigration lawyer to handle all the paper work, but it just costs more. You can also use some services like Catholic Charities. They will help you with the paper work and their fees are a lot less than an immigration Lawyer. (recommended)
Go to the INS website for all the information and forms needed, or talk to an INS agent here.

We have been happily married for over 5 years and she has applied for her US citizenship.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Possible info

I was told that it is hard to get into the US and into Canada. To get either vistors or perm visas to leave the country. They will reject you witl no ryhme or reason. Haven't gone through it myself personally, but I am watching one of my friends go through it, and she has been waiting for 8 months so far to get her husband out of the DR and into Canada....and they think it will be in Dec, although no one has told this to them...I think it's wishful thinking on their part...
Was told it's much easier to get Visas into Europe not sure if this is true or not....
lisa :bunny:

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
v-visas

now there is something called the V visa which allows spouses of american citizens to come to the us to visit while they are waiting for their paperwork to be completed. they can't STAY here but they can come visit.
check it out.
:cool:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Wrong

baileyboy said:
They will reject you witl no ryhme or reason.

They have plenty of reasons, the primary one being the person will split on arrival as a fiance or as visitor, and won't leave, since a million times before that's exactly what happened. So they want so much at stake in the DR the person will come back. As much as I like the DR I have no desire to pay income tax for moochers and illegals here from anywhere. The USA is the same.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
sorry--

ricktoronto said:
They have plenty of reasons, the primary one being the person will split on arrival as a fiance or as visitor, and won't leave, since a million times before that's exactly what happened. So they want so much at stake in the DR the person will come back. As much as I like the DR I have no desire to pay income tax for moochers and illegals here from anywhere. The USA is the same.

oh well form what I know from my friends applying, they have gotten rejected without a reason from the DR end. Thats what I meant. I'm sure the DR and the other consulates have their reasons, but they aren't telling the applicants why they have been declined. Sorry for the misunderstanding :confused:

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Pib said:
I doubt that. Just my opinion though.

Well my friends have had better luck getting into Switzerland and other European when they were denied for the US and CDA. Just my knowledge on friends experiences.

lisa

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Now You Know Why

baileyboy said:
oh well form what I know from my friends applying, they have gotten rejected without a reason from the DR end. Thats what I meant. I'm sure the DR and the other consulates have their reasons, but they aren't telling the applicants why they have been declined. Sorry for the misunderstanding :confused:

One of the meaner rules is that they don't have to say why but this is why they reject 99% of casual visa applicants. In all fairness to those who apply they really ought to hand out something that says not to waste a lot of time and money on the process without the minimum requirements. And then set out some list to give a hint as to maybe or no chance.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
baileyboy said:
Well my friends have had better luck getting into Switzerland and other European when they were denied for the US and CDA. Just my knowledge on friends experiences.

lisa

The Swiss seem to love DR girls in the bar and "other" industries and I think with a sponsor it is somewhat less work than here or the USA wehre a sponsor means diddly-squat. Italy seems to OK a few as well.