Bloody Marys'

Maromija

Jul 29, 2004
Only just found this site. I used to live in Santo Domingo 15 years ago & owned a bar in the Zona Colonial called Bloody Marys & a workshop making furniture & wooden signs, like the ones in Casa de Campo. Just wondering really if anyone that came to the bar is still alive? Captain Bob( owned a pool bar near El Conde) Joe the Russian ( owned Raffles bar in Z Colonial+ he's a photographer) John & Gary who owned Drakes Bar. I would like to hear from anyone who used any of these places. I'm thinking of returning & am feeling a little nostalgic. My wife, who's Dominican is not so sure though. Still I would really like to hear from a survivor.
Thanks

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
it is quite possible i have some of that furniture in the house.

captain bob (rogers) died a few years ago now, i'm a bit vague on the details (memory loss has to be a tropical thing - or maybe it's the alcohol).
his pool bar (captain's club) was confiscated by the authorities a few years before he died (i don't remember who or what was the cause behind it - wife?).
he was a nice guy when sober, but those moments were few and far between in his last years....and the swearing!
insisted until the day he died that he knew the whereabouts of some sunken treasure or other off the coast of santo domingo and that he was going to get rich quick when he found someone to help him bring it up.

happy jack, the one with the 'coral' infected gammy leg, i believe, also died back in the states.

although, drake's was sold off a few years ago to some dutch bloke, i have seen john in and around the colonial zone - i believe he still lives above 'bloody mary's. gary (hampton ?), the english one who was part-owner of drakes, i have seen driving around, now and again, the arroyo hondo area in a 'jeepeta', but i think he has moved a bit further out of the capital.

peter the german, the swedish guy, and others are mostly around, but they don't seem to meet (get pissed up) up the same way they used to when drake's and bloody mary's was open.

others have gone, danny weston, anthony and wendy bispham.

was joe a russian? i thought he was from lithuania or latvia. his bar was in front of the church ruins, wasn't it? i'm sure i have seen him around now and again.

the area where bloody mary's is....was, became very trendy, especially in the late 90's, all the bars along there opened up (and are mostly still open). drakes, as i said was bought by some dutch bloke and turned into a restaurant - nothing like a pub whatsoever and very expensive.

i was never very close to any of them, but i do miss the days (and feel a little nostalgic about) when the ex-pats -slash- dossers of the capital used to get together, get drunk and generally have a good time.

anybody else you can remember that you would like to know about?
i am sure that other people on this forum remember much more than me and could probably make a few corrections.

Maromija

Jul 29, 2004
Bloody Marys

Hi bochiniche, sorry it's taken me so long to reply. For some reason I've been unable to log in,aol I think!! I was really interested in what you had to say.I'm not surprised to hear Cap Bob died, I think maybe if I had not left when I did I would have joined him!!!! Your right Joe was a Lithuanean.If you happen to run into any of those old degenerates, Peter his son Michael, John or Gary tell them that Bob Watts sends his regards. I think that most of the other peple I knew, Bob Upson, Denny et al have left. Anyway thanks again for taking the time to let me know what happened to everyone, I'll keep on checking out dr1 as it's a pretty interesting forum & maybe I'll recognize a ghost from the past.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
....i saw this thread disappear to the depths, until you answered it.

i just can't believe there are no more dr1 people in the capital that used to mix with the 'bloody mary's' and 'drake's' lot.
it seems that most people, nowadays, get their fix from the internet than a bottle of presidente.......sad, really.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Drake's was my place

Some of my fondest memories is of "Sunrise Services" At Drake's Pub. John was truly a great friend and confidant.
I was proud to have my photo in the many photo collages adorning the walls there.

Ahhh...The Women, The Fights, The women fighting, The busts, The CIA, the KGB, The DEA, Cuba State Security, the night the silly Irishman challenged me to a Drinking contest(I won of course)! The time they Tried to close it down for the Duration of the Pope's Visit. The Memories go on and on.

The Stories I could tell.

I wasn't much of a fan of Bloody Mary's. Never had the Feel that Drakes Had.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Drakes

Tony C said:
Some of my fondest memories is of "Sunrise Services" At Drake's Pub. John was truly a great friend and confidant.
I was proud to have my photo in the many photo collages adorning the walls there.

Ahhh...The Women, The Fights, The women fighting, The busts, The CIA, the KGB, The DEA, Cuba State Security, the night the silly Irishman challenged me to a Drinking contest(I won of course)! The time they Tried to close it down for the Duration of the Pope's Visit. The Memories go on and on.

The Stories I could tell.

I wasn't much of a fan of Bloody Mary's. Never had the Feel that Drakes Had.

I believe John is living in Colorado, Danny Weston is still here, Have not see Gary for a long time, Peter Berggman lives outside san christobal, the german that made the bottle boats in back in germany I believe, lots are still around, we just don't have a place like Drakes to go to any more, :mad:

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Drake's was a cool bar, the colonial, pirate tavern setting really did the job for me...its sucessor "Pate e palo" (hate the spanish name, why couldn't it be "Pegleg" instead?) has even better colonial tavern ambience, it has more class and it is much more expensive as well. I wonder what the owners of the other places you mentioned are doing now. Maybe DR reality swallowed them. Poor blokes.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Oche said:
Drake's was a cool bar, the colonial, pirate tavern setting really did the job for me...its sucessor "Pate e palo" (hate the spanish name, why couldn't it be "Pegleg" instead?) has even better colonial tavern ambience, it has more class and it is much more expensive as well. .
Drake's was much more like a colonial tavern in so much as it was a Drinking Establishment.
All one had to do was ask for a fruity gay Tourist drink and that would have become quiet apparent. The blender on the shelf hadn't worked since 1977.
A lot of people were put off by the place as wannabees were quickly spotted and nobody cared how much money you had or what label you were wearing. It wasn't that others weren't welcome but few were truly allowed to stay after hours for Sunrise Services.

The place that came after Drakes was just another theme Restaurant. Nice but nothing special.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I always forget names

Maromija said:
Only just found this site. I used to live in Santo Domingo 15 years ago & owned a bar in the Zona Colonial called Bloody Marys & a workshop making furniture & wooden signs, like the ones in Casa de Campo.

Dude I know you! But I forgot your name.
Remember the waitress you had called Wendy? And her friend Brunhilde?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
drakes

Tony C said:
Dude I know you! But I forgot your name.
Remember the waitress you had called Wendy? And her friend Brunhilde?

The only real good thing about pata de palo is drakes waitress ANNA works there.

fruity drinks drakes, Johns idea was if it needed mixing with anything other than coke 7up or orange juice it was not fit to either drink or be made! Always enjoyed talking with Gary on sunday mornings as he done the books, :cry: