Beaded hair

D

Denny

Can you get your hair beaded in the DR and how much would it be?

S

Soobee

You can get it done right on the beach and the price will vary with the length and thikness of your hair... I got mine done in the hotel salon for 600 pesos but for that they washed it and conditioned it. (mine is waist length) It was the best thing I've ever done, so easy to wash and so cool!! I had it in for 3 weeks and it still looked good....

K

Karen

that's $40.00 us? What a deal! When I was in Bahamas I was charged $50.00 for only 25 braids!

D

Dan

If you do get it done on the beach make sure they have a bottle of water with them to do it. I've seen them use thier saliva to moisten the tips of the hair to get the beads on. A friend of mine got it done and later saw the same lady doing to someone else, when she realized how she did it she was so grossed out she took them out right away.

Dan

P

Phyllis

I've been to Puerto Plata 3 times in the last year and each time got my hair done. Each braid costs 20 pesos on the beach or in the salon; of course the salon is airconditioned and comfortable, but giving the girls on the beach some business makes me feel better. Some girls will charge a flat rate.. my hair is really long and to do the whole head it was 600 pesos ($60 Canadian). And, there is nothing gross about this, afterall you can still wash them every day and mine lasted over a month!!! Just be careful taking them out and be prepared to lose some hair.

T

Tania

Try to get a fixed price when you get your hair beaded. When I was in Saona last December, the women were charging 10 pesos per braid. Unfortunately a woman from Quebec who did not understand Spanish, started to get them braided without being aware of this. The woman who was braiding her hair made such tiny braids that by the time the French woman found out how much she had to pay, less than half of her head was done. She already had over 40 braids done at this point. When she asked the woman to give her a better price, the woman agreed, but began to make huge braids that looked really awful. The French-Canadian women spent over 60$ Canadaian(on short hair), went back to the resort that afternoon and removed them all!

J

Julia

My daughter hat her hair beaded (69 braids) for 400 pesos!! on Boca Chica beach,they where beautyfull for over a month. But first the price was made!!!

J

Jim Hinsch

You will receive many offers, I'm sure. Agree on a price up front per bead and on how many beads max. I suggest you buy them a soft drink while they work on your hair. Often, the price includes removing them on your last day if you want.

Wearing beads says "I'm a tourist"!

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

L

Loren

Yes! If you getg your hair braided you are saying: "I spend lots of money on beach and street merchants," and they will try to get you!

Anything you buy on the beach, get the price up front!!! Otherwise, you will have to get rude, and if you are not willing to get rude, you will get suckered. Beware of people serving you stuff, and DONT EVER PAY FOR SOMETHING YOU DIDNT ASK FOR! NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING BEFORE YOU KNOW THE PRICE!!!

I have gotten careless and have been "got" even after I was aware of the game. Thats what I get for having my mind somewhere else. Learn how to say "no" and dont be a softie, you will do fine!

K

Karen

I find the best way to take them out is in the shower when your hair is wet. It makes the braid unravel much easier..therefore causing less split ends!

L

Lisa

I'm sorry, but am I the only one who thinks those braids are UGLY! Why anyone would even pay to look that bad is beyond me!