Jacinto Peynado's death

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I just read the news on CDN that former VP Jacinto Peynado has lost his long battle with colon cancer.

Peynado was a veteran politician who suffered a double betrayal by his own party, first by Balaguer who refused to support his candidacy in 1996, resulting in the rise of the PLD's Leonel Fernandez to the presidency, and more recently the dubious victory of the relatively unknown Eduardo Estrella in the PRSC primary election.

Chiri

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
May he rest in peace

His obstinance kept the PRSC party from doing better at the polls this past May. Knowing that his health would never allow him to govern, Peynado insisted on trying to be a candidate, taking support and campaign money from Estrella's efforts. He was like a little boy in his attitude. He was also one of the best read political figures and one of the very first to go into computers and the internet. His library was outstanding.

So what that Estrella out manouevered him in the primary? If Peynado had thought of it first, he would have done the same. They played by the same rules and were veterans of the same battles...The key point being he know beforehand that he would never govern...but he kept his opponent from doing a lot better and successfully helped to reduce what was once a major political force of conservatives into an almost insignificant political entity.

Go in peace big guy, you were too fat and too short to rule the country, and you were betrayed by Balaguer at a key moment in history, so the last years were not too kind to you.

HB

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
WOW! These are chanign times indeed. May he RIP. Anyone read the NYTimes article on DR defaulting? CAme out Aug. 6.
D

Chirimoya said:
I just read the news on CDN that former VP Jacinto Peynado has lost his long battle with colon cancer.

Chiri

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
My son Alan, who had the opportunity of meeting Jacinto Peynado personally, mentioned over lunch that with Jacinto's passing there're no more politicians left from the old school, and the only ones around belong to a club more akin to the corsairs and privateers of early Caribbean history. I agreed with him. Actually, I'm almost to the point of believing that we need nothing less than a Pol Pot to turn this political system around.

Mirador

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I always wonder, is this the "better" Dominican Republic promised to us by our neighbors to the north?

Democracy, Free Trade, etc. Every since those ideologies came into the Dominican mindset, this country has been digging a hole straight to hell.

Geez, thank you to all those countries that "helped" the DR in the 1960s war, it really helped, not! :mad:

Apr 26, 2002
Hillbilly said:
His obstinance kept the PRSC party from doing better at the polls this past May. Knowing that his health would never allow him to govern, Peynado insisted on trying to be a candidate, taking support and campaign money from Estrella's efforts. He was like a little boy in his attitude.

Perhaps. But isn't is possible that Peynado was genuinely revolted (as were many other Reformistas) by the fact that Estrella did a deal with the devil (currently in the guise of the President of the Republic) to become the PRSC candidate, and that votes for Estrella could easily have been counted as votes for the devil in accordance with the terms of that deal?

Of course, this would suggest that Peynado had scruples, admittedly hard to fathom for any politician here.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Nalowls,If the US did not exist,who would you blame for

all the DR's "Problems"? Is it the US that makes all your politicians "Steal",rather than govern?? First step to reform is to accept responsibility! That is why the DR will NEVER reform!! Blaming "Others" for your own failures is easy,and a formula for disaster,just ask the US Blacks who are still blaming "slavery" for their economic failures!

Here is some advice,"Go To Work",save,and invest! Cris Colon :chinese:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If the US did not exist, I would have blamed ourselves! But of course, ever since the US invaded us in the 1920s, we have become a sort of guinea pig for them.

We went through the worst Dictatorships, horrible battles, humiliations, and chaos under the American watchful eyes. Anything before 1920s is due to our own failures, but most things after the 1920s have been influenced by the almighty to our north, thus I empose SOME responsibility on the northern behemoth rather than pretend that the Dominican Republic has been a self governed country since its inception, that is something that is untrue. In the last few years Dominicans have truly began to take control of our destiny, our experience in ruling ourselves reverts from the impact all foreign forces that have influenced us have had on us. Thus, take the resposibility that ought to be taken by the outsiders, once that's done, we will take the part of the resposibility that we are responsible for.

The truth is that the Dominican Republic's people and government is NOT fully responsible for all its problems. We are partially responsible, the rest falls on the emperialistic society that have put their noses where it was never welcomed.

BTW, I'm not trying to impose a belligirent attack here, just responding to your question.

Apr 26, 2002
I thought the topic was Jacinto Peynado?

Seems like there would be better threads to discuss US exploitation vs. Dominican irresponsibility than this one.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Yeah, but Porfi---

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Seems like there would be better threads to discuss US exploitation vs. Dominican irresponsibility than this one.

Once the door is even cracked open for NalOws to blabber, he takes over the thread with his "blame ------ for what has happened to our dearly beloved Republica Dominicana".

He claims a Democratically elected government, then denies that it is Democratic(since it can't function without outside(US)interference) because of "outside influences"..

I'm not real sure he has his head screwed on facing forward!

All in all, the shennagans pulled by Penyado over the last year or so certainly put a wrench into a lot of monkey-works. All due respencts to the deceased but maybe the country is better off as a result.
Same goes for other politicians who provoke gain only for themselves.

Texas Bill

ohgorsh

Aug 18, 2004
All due respencts to the deceased but maybe the country is better off as a result.

if u had some respect u wouldnt of said that

maybe u need to pray

peace

HAD TO BE FROM TEXAS WHO ELSE WOULD THINK LIKE THAT OH YA YER OLD HOME BOY BUSH

Last edited:

ohgorsh

Aug 18, 2004
Go In Peace Fat Guy ??

Hillbilly said:
His obstinance kept the PRSC party from doing better at the polls this past May. Knowing that his health would never allow him to govern, Peynado insisted on trying to be a candidate, taking support and campaign money from Estrella's efforts. He was like a little boy in his attitude. He was also one of the best read political figures and one of the very first to go into computers and the internet. His library was outstanding.

So what that Estrella out manouevered him in the primary? If Peynado had thought of it first, he would have done the same. They played by the same rules and were veterans of the same battles...The key point being he know beforehand that he would never govern...but he kept his opponent from doing a lot better and successfully helped to reduce what was once a major political force of conservatives into an almost insignificant political entity.

Go in peace big guy, you were too fat and too short to rule the country, and you were betrayed by Balaguer at a key moment in history, so the last years were not too kind to you.

HB
SOME PEOPLE ARE SICK WHEN SOME ONE DIES HAS NO RESPECT FOR OTHERS ,,
AND THATS SAD ,,
BUT WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND I SAYB AND TEN FOLD

ohgorsh

Aug 18, 2004
If the US did not exist

Nal0whs said:
If the US did not exist, I would have blamed ourselves! But of course, ever since the US invaded us in the 1920s, we have become a sort of guinea pig for them.

We went through the worst Dictatorships, horrible battles, humiliations, and chaos under the American watchful eyes. Anything before 1920s is due to our own failures, but most things after the 1920s have been influenced by the almighty to our north, thus I empose SOME responsibility on the northern behemoth rather than pretend that the Dominican Republic has been a self governed country since its inception, that is something that is untrue. In the last few years Dominicans have truly began to take control of our destiny, our experience in ruling ourselves reverts from the impact all foreign forces that have influenced us have had on us. Thus, take the resposibility that ought to be taken by the outsiders, once that's done, we will take the part of the resposibility that we are responsible for.

The truth is that the Dominican Republic's people and government is NOT fully responsible for all its problems. We are partially responsible, the rest falls on the emperialistic society that have put their noses where it was never welcomed.

BTW, I'm not trying to impose a belligirent attack here, just responding to your question.
IF THE USA DIDNT EXIST BUSH WOULDNT BE PRESIDENT ,, WHAT A GRAND THOUGHT BUT LOOK OUT HES BACK IN ORDER BOMBING COUNTRYS FOR NO REASON BE WARE ,,,,,OF HIS DICTATORSHIP BE VERY WORRIED

ohgorsh

Aug 18, 2004
Porfio_Rubirosa said:

IT WAS BUT U KNOW SOME FOLKS ARE NOT SMART ENOUGH TO DEBATE THE HUMAN WAY

MAY HE REST IN PEACE

AND GOD BLESS

blondie_4275

Aug 18, 2004
maybe you should think before you write ,have you thought of his loved ones left behind?Would you want your loved ones to read this about you? He was a much loved man, plain and simple that did a lot of good for the poor....May God be with you
Texas Bill said:
Once the door is even cracked open for NalOws to blabber, he takes over the thread with his "blame ------ for what has happened to our dearly beloved Republica Dominicana".

He claims a Democratically elected government, then denies that it is Democratic(since it can't function without outside(US)interference) because of "outside influences"..

I'm not real sure he has his head screwed on facing forward!

All in all, the shennagans pulled by Penyado over the last year or so certainly put a wrench into a lot of monkey-works. All due respencts to the deceased but maybe the country is better off as a result.
Same goes for other politicians who provoke gain only for themselves.

Texas Bill

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
ohgorsh said:
IF THE USA DIDNT EXIST BUSH WOULDNT BE PRESIDENT ,, WHAT A GRAND THOUGHT BUT LOOK OUT HES BACK IN ORDER BOMBING COUNTRYS FOR NO REASON BE WARE ,,,,,OF HIS DICTATORSHIP BE VERY WORRIED

Caps lock stuck?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I don't think his caps-lock is stuck, he just has to scream at the top of his lungs to be heard above the music being played in the bar he's drinking at.

And, all of you, would/have you rendered that respect you speak of to the 'dead' Trujillo???

The intent of the post was to point out that maybe the country(and his party) will be a little better off without his influence. Does that sound like disrespect?? If so, I apologize. Just remember, respect for an individual, living or dead, has nothing to do with the truth of their legacy to posteriety.

Texas Bill