Hotel in SD for under $75?

z_zapper

Jun 14, 2004
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a decent hotel for under $75/night in a safe neighborhood of Santo Domingo, close to entertainment and night clubs. I've searched the Web and the forums, but haven't really find anything yet.

Thx much,
Z.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Palacio / Mercure Comercial

Hello,

I just stayed at the Palacio Hotel in Zona Colonial, Calle Duarte casi esq. Conde. It is a very nice place, an old colonial mansion.
Normal rate is 68$ breakfast not included.
I got a discount because I know the receptionist well.
I had a big room, huge bathroom and the minibar prices are very reasonable.

Sometimes you can get lucky booking the Mercure hotel through their website. Normal website booking rate is 77$ breakfast included, but last-minute booking is down to 59$ per night. Unfortunately not on during peak periods. Rooms are OK here but more basic than at the Palacio. Ask for an 'inside room' because there is a club opposite the hotel in the Hostos street that gets noisy on weekends.
Mercure is only one block away from the Palacion on Calle Hostos esq. Conde.

Bye,
Bartolomeo

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Another Tip

If the OP is interested in paid companionship, the Mercure frowns on that sort of thing while the Palacio welcomes it.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Correction

ricktoronto said:
If the OP is interested in paid companionship, the Mercure frowns on that sort of thing while the Palacio welcomes it.

Rules must have changed at the Mercure: guests in your room after 8pm cost you something like 6U$ extra nowadays.

I am not so sure about the Palacio being guest-friendly. Officially they are not; there is a note in the room which amongst other things says that prostitution is illegal in the DR, however the watchyman may look the other way at night.

Bartolomeo

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Bartolomeo67 said:
Rules must have changed at the Mercure: guests in your room after 8pm cost you something like 6U$ extra nowadays.

I am not so sure about the Palacio being guest-friendly. Officially they are not; there is a note in the room which amongst other things says that prostitution is illegal in the DR, however the watchyman may look the other way at night.

Bartolomeo

We stopped in there in December and asked and they said nobody but the paid guests with quite a snobby attitude about it. El Conde said sure for $10. I think palacio is a good choice regardless of guests, frankly.