Murder of a Canadian in Sosua....Friday afternoon...8.13.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
A murder was committed today on a Canadian that has lived in the Sosua area for a long time. I have no doubt he was well known to many of the expats that live in that general area. I will not disclose his name at this moment due to not knowing if immediate family have been contacted yet (contact is in process).

I can only hope the murderers are caught.

Dave

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
Horrendous !

dms3611 said:
A murder was committed today on a Canadian that has lived in the Sosua area for a long time. I have no doubt he was well known to many of the expats that live in that general area. I will not disclose his name at this moment due to not knowing if immediate family have been contacted yet (contact is in process).

I can only hope the murderers are caught.

Dave

This is bone-chilling news ! please let us know any further news as soon as you can ! OMG.his poor family !

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I am curious to know the particulars if you could possibly relay them without disclosing the name.

Larry

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think it does a disservice not to publish details. No name needed, but the term "murder" needs to be explained. It makes a big difference if somebody was killed in bar fight or a lovers quarrel, or was murdered in his bed by thieves who left with his money and valuables.

Juan

Apr 22, 2003
He was an owner of one of the beach bars. Seems to be a lovers dispute. The primary suspect was his girlfriend, believed to be a Haitian that fled to Haiti on Friday.

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
Juan said:
He was an owner of one of the beach bars. Seems to be a lovers dispute. The primary suspect was his girlfriend, believed to be a Haitian that fled to Haiti on Friday.

I heard that the Haitian woman (his wife) was the one who rides around town on a Harley high handlebar motorcycle and who's always dressed in black leather. This really gives new meaning to the term black widow. :smoke:

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Ken said:
I think it does a disservice not to publish details. No name needed, but the term "murder" needs to be explained. .

The unlawful killing of a human being by another with malice aforethought, either expressed or implied.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Argo said:
with malice aforethought, either expressed or implied.

That would make it premeditated murder.

Difference...Man picks up a bottle in a bar and hits someone over the head. The cut from the bottle causes the man to die. This "could" be classified as "murder".

Man gets into an arguement in a bar. Tells the second party " I am going to kill you". Leaves, comes back in five minutes with a bottle and hits second party over the head with it. Cut from bottle causes man to die. This " could" be classified as "premeditated murder".

Just thought I would clarify.

Larry

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Argo said:
The unlawful killing of a human being by another with malice aforethought, either expressed or implied.

That may be, but it is a disservice to leave the circumstances to the imagination of the reader.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Larry said:
That would make it premeditated murder.

Difference...Man picks up a bottle in a bar and hits someone over the head. The cut from the bottle causes the man to die. This "could" be classified as "murder".

Man gets into an arguement in a bar. Tells the second party " I am going to kill you". Leaves, comes back in five minutes with a bottle and hits second party over the head with it. Cut from bottle causes man to die. This " could" be classified as "premeditated murder".

Just thought I would clarify.

Larry

In MOST US jurisdictions, your first example would be classified as Manslaughter or "Felony Murder," that is the loss of life during the commission of a felony (Assault). The persons intent was not to kill (unless he admits to that) but to cause grievous bodily harm.

I guess it would have to be researched according to the laws governing the area where it happened, Dominican Law is way beyond me

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Not trying to create a "disservice"...just being sensative to the situation...

....plus I would have thought that with all the "North Coasters" being "wired in" to the happenings up there that they would know with a simple heads up.

Anyway the gentlemans name was Robert Welsh. Many knew him as "Cheese cake Bob".

He was approx. 79 years old. The actual cause of death was unknown to the medical examiner at the time of examination in Mr. Welsh's home. However, he appeared to have been strangled or was in the process of being strangled when he was struck with a heavy instrument that appeared, on primary examination, to be a pickax.

The police are looking for Mr. Welsh's "girlfriend" as well as 2 other Hatians for questioning. They all were apparently seen/placed in close proximity to Mr. Welsh's home on Friday. There appears to be information that indicates Mr. Welsh was having difficulties with his "girlfriend". These difficulties appear to be financially related.

Mr. Welsh's "girlfriend" and the other 2 Hatians that may have been involved fled the area on Friday. I do not have any other information than this and I likely won't have any future information. If I do, I will post it.

Dave

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
dms3611 said:
....plus I would have thought that with all the "North Coasters" being "wired in" to the happenings up there that they would know with a simple heads up.

Anyway the gentlemans name was Robert Welsh. Many knew him as "Cheese cake Bob".

He was approx. 79 years old. The actual cause of death was unknown to the medical examiner at the time of examination in Mr. Welsh's home. However, he appeared to have been strangled or was in the process of being strangled when he was struck with a heavy instrument that appeared, on primary examination, to be a pickax.

The police are looking for Mr. Welsh's "girlfriend" as well as 2 other Hatians for questioning. They all were apparently seen/placed in close proximity to Mr. Welsh's home on Friday. There appears to be information that indicates Mr. Welsh was having difficulties with his "girlfriend". These difficulties appear to be financially related.

Mr. Welsh's "girlfriend" and the other 2 Hatians that may have been involved fled the area on Friday. I do not have any other information than this and I likely won't have any future information. If I do, I will post it.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. So sorry you lost your friend & condolences to his family.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Argo said:
In MOST US jurisdictions, your first example would be classified as Manslaughter or "Felony Murder," that is the loss of life during the commission of a felony (Assault). The persons intent was not to kill (unless he admits to that) but to cause grievous bodily harm.

I guess it would have to be researched according to the laws governing the area where it happened, Dominican Law is way beyond me

Yes, I know. That's why I said "could". I didn't want to go into explaining knocking down a charge for the purpose of increasing the likelihood of a conviction. That would have confused everyone.

I am sorry about your friend Dave.

Larry

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
I had first hand info on the murder and felt a need to share it....

However, I never met Mr. Welsh while he was alive.

I too extend my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Dave

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the explanation, dms361. It is important to give some details so that those of us who live here can judge whether it was an isolated incident related to a personal situation or whether we are all in danger.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
It is indeed sad and and horrible, but when I'm 79, if you see me hanging around Sosua with a Haitian biker chick, please contact my sons in NY to intervene. - D

Status
Not open for further replies.