HELP: Assault case...

BartC

Jan 23, 2004
I would like to know what I can do "legally" against a person who attacked me fysically.

It all happened last night, when a drunken guy attacked me, and left ne with a slightly disfigured face. I was having a friendly drink in the bar of my friends, and talking to one of the owners of the place when all this happened. There was no motive at all for this attack, and I have many witnesses to what happened.

The bar is located in Cabeza de Toro, and so we went to the closest police/politur station to report everyting (Beron) - 5:15 AM - 15/08/04. I even went to a doctor whom made up an official paper of the injuries. All this has been included in the "police report". (page 10 of whatever book they were using.... geez)

I'm supposed to go back at 2 PM today, so they will start a search for this guy, of which I know his name and more or less know where he lives (don't ask me WHY they didn't start the search right away, probably lazyness, or night shift).

I'm afraid that when they find this person, they will put him in jail for a couple of days and will let him go... which happens a lot around here ("a lot" read as "all the time").

I am more afraid that IF they find that person and IF they put him in jail for a couple of days, that this guy will come after me afterwards, vendictive... seeking revenge.

To avoid this, I urgently need to know what I can do legally so that this person stays locked up, and how I can prosecute him, or how the state/da can prosecute him.

FYI: I am not a resident or do not have dominican nationality (nor cedula). I have been living here 6 years, and have european nationality.

All constructive and helpful suggestions are very much welcomed.

Hope to hear something from you guys before it's to late... Thanks, Bart

Last edited:

rickymartin

Aug 3, 2004
Bad *** Problems

BartC said:
I would like to know what I can do "legally" against a person who attacked me fysically.

It all happened last night, when a drunken guy attacked me, and left ne with a slightly disfigured face. I was having a friendly drink in the bar of my friends, and talking to one of the owners of the place when all this happened. There was no motive at all for this attack, and I have many witnesses to what happened.

The bar is located in Cabeza de Toro, and so we went to the closest police/politur station to report everyting (Beron) - 5:15 AM - 15/08/04. I even went to a doctor whom made up an official paper of the injuries. All this has been included in the "police report". (page 10 of whatever book they were using.... geez)

I'm supposed to go back at 2 PM today, so they will start a search for this guy, of which I know his name and more or less know where he lives (don't ask me WHY they didn't start the search right away, probably lazyness, or night shift).

I'm afraid that when they find this person, they will put him in jail for a couple of days and will let him go... which happens a lot around here ("a lot" read as "all the time").

I am more afraid that IF they find that person and IF they put him in jail for a couple of days, that this guy will come after me afterwards, vendictive... seeking revenge.

To avoid this, I urgently need to know what I can do legally so that this person stays locked up, and how I can prosecute him, or how the state/da can prosecute him.

FYI: I am not a resident or do not have dominican nationality (nor cedula). I have been living here 6 years, and have european nationality.

I had a couple of problems las tyear with some badass gringos.It never came to an assualt but there were threats.In once case I called the police but decided not to press charges. I have police friends just in case. These guys generally lite when a gun is pointed in their face. Sometime a percieved threat is better than an action because its a small place and hard to avoid people. In my case the problems went away because usually these guys have other problems as well. My advie for what it's worth. Show strength and avoid the bastard . Save some cards until they are really needed, and make "friends" with the police. I can't say this is good advis but ti worked for me.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
BartC said:

Is the agressor a local bully? Are your friends afraid of him? Do you or any of your friends have any contacts with the local fiscal/police? Why didn't your "friends" or the bar owner help you out or at least stop the "fight"? Will your witnesses testify? These are things you need to consider prior to taking any measures (Legal or otherwise). I'm afraid it's going to be your call. I'm sorry not to be of more help. Perhaps another poster has a idea.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I suggest giving police some cash to rough him up in jail. Teach him a lesson so he would think twice before he lays his hands on anyone again. Police would love to rough up a trouble-making gringo at a reasonable cost.
Try this way and see how well it works.
AZB

Last edited by a moderator:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Justice?

BartC,

I am sorry you have been injured and hope it is not too serious.

What this one understands about the Dominican law enforcement and justice system is it is a complete act of frustration to engage the authorities to pursue the drunk who attacked you, unless you are an important person. Enforcement and justice is selective. Generally, the police will give you lip service and do diddley-squat.

However, if they do catch up the the culprit, they will probably beat the crap out of him and throw him in the jail until they get tired of him. I know of an incident where a report was made to the police of a gun being stolen from a residence (it was later discovered to have been misplaced by the owner). A young man was falsely accused of stealing the gun . The police questioned the youth in a manner that required him to be hospitalized. The gun owner had no papers for the gun and falsely accused another of theft. However, because he was an important person, it was overlooked by the police. How's that for being selective, end of story!!!

Fabio Guzman will be able to give you correct information as how to proceed legally. I am sure it may involve you having to go to Higuey with a copy of the police report to see the prosecutor.

I lament you expect to have justice served but the wheels of justice turn slow here, if they turn at all. The functioning justice system in the country is street justice.

Good luck and regards,
PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Small piece of advice

Buy a baseball bat and keep it handy at all times.

First sight of the guy, you show the bat. If he decides to keep coming you swing the bat. Phuck the bastid!

Papa bear HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Another option.

BartC said:
The state will not prosecute him. The way it works is that if you want to pursue the case, you must hire a lawyer to prosecute, otherwise, it's like you said, he's out in a couple of days, if not sooner, on what they call bail, and if you do not prosecute with a lawyer, that's the end of the story.
So.... Perhaps the best way to proceed is the following. As mentioned, it would be a good idea to tip the police well, go see the commander once the fellow is detained and explain to him that your main goal is that this situation does nor occur again, and ask him if he would have his cops scare him up a bit, bring him into the office with you present and let the commander make it clear to him that he will release him, but should anything happen to you, and I mean anything, even if you get a flat tire, that the cops will come and get him and give him an experience that he will never forget.
This may resolve your problem in a less costly fashion than actually prosecuting the fellow and may ensure your safety better than if you had the dude in jail for an extended period of time, dreaming about what he's going to do to you when he gets out.
PS: Have the commander insist that he pay for your medical expenses.

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
Gabriela said:
Leave the country while you are still alive.

I agree. If he's already assaulted you for what you believed to be nothing, imagine what he'll do to you if action is taken that really provokes him. People on this board have suggested you throw some money around to get justice. However, keep in mind that he can do the same thing. In fact, he could hire some Dominican-Rambo thugs to really mess you up. Obviously, it's possible you can find yourself far worse off if you continue agitating this guy.
Therefore take Gabriela's advice. Leave now while you've had just one beating.

amartinez

Aug 5, 2004
Have the police rough him up a bit. He might think since you are European nationality that you don't have any connections in DR. If you show him that you are not alone, that usually softens the bully.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
SalsaBlondie said:
what if he can't or doesnt want to leave? that's not a realistic answer.

Realism is accepting reality. He's going to end up dead if he messes with this bully. I love to dance too, but you can't dance at a funeral.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Gabriela said:
Leave the country while you are still alive.
If everytime something went wrong in one's life, one ran away, life wouldn't be worth living.
There may be times for running, but this sure doesn't seem to be one of them.
If you ripped off the Mafia and they know who you are, then it might be a good idea to get a move on.
If a drunken idiot attacks you in a bar, it's time to deal with it in the most sensible manner.

BartC

Jan 23, 2004
Eddy said:
Is the agressor a local bully? Are your friends afraid of him? Do you or any of your friends have any contacts with the local fiscal/police? Why didn't your "friends" or the bar owner help you out or at least stop the "fight"? Will your witnesses testify? These are things you need to consider prior to taking any measures (Legal or otherwise). I'm afraid it's going to be your call. I'm sorry not to be of more help. Perhaps another poster has a idea.

Yes he is local, not the type of guy to be afraid of, just a nasty little punk. We do have one contact with the police here, which we already used, and paid him some money. They already located the guy and they're taking him to jail right now. That local police officer told us that they'll teach the guy a nice lesson and make sure he doesn't hit the streets soon. But still...

There were witnesses and will testify if necessary. There was no time for any of my friends to intervene when this happened last night, it just happened too fast, and he took off before anybody could do anything.

The purpose of my post was to gather ideas on what measures to take. Such as paying some of the cops, getting a lawyer, or maybe the combination of the two.

But please... Leaving the country for one stupid asshole and a fistfight? Never! I just want to teach the guy a good lesson. And if there will be any hiring of so called "dominican rambos", it will be me who will be doing the hiring.

That's it for now, more suggestions always welcome.

BartC

Jan 23, 2004
Rocky said:
If everytime something went wrong in one's life, one ran away, life wouldn't be worth living.
There may be times for running, but this sure doesn't seem to be one of them.
If you ripped off the Mafia and they know who you are, then it might be a good idea to get a move on.
If a drunken idiot attacks you in a bar, it's time to deal with it in the most sensible manner.

Exactly... Thanks Rocky

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Sounds like you got everything under control

Those who suggested that you run had to be joking or stupid. Good luck and I hope the little M.Fu**ker get the beating he deserves.

BartC

Jan 23, 2004
Lambada said:
I'd say hats off to BartC for getting the situation under control AND having the time & motivation to post about it. Hope you don't hurt too much today.

Except for my pride, nothing is really hurting ;)

I'm contacting a friend of a friend, who is also a lawyer, and will ask him to contact the local police station so they won't let him go easily on a bribe from his family, or something similar.

We'll probably try to have him sent to a jail in Higuey or Santo Domingo, from which it is a lot more difficult to get out then here locally...

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Your call

Of course it's your call. I just know two people who stayed too long and were murdered, and the police were no help. God Bless.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Hillbilly said:
Buy a baseball bat and keep it handy at all times.

First sight of the guy, you show the bat. If he decides to keep coming you swing the bat. Phuck the bastid!

Papa bear HB

....my friend's uncle did that, he lived in a house in naco. one day (1996?) some wankers broke in, and before they stole his money decided to beat him to death with that very same bat he was supposed to use as protection.

....whether you like it or not, azb and amartinez gave some good advice. give that police officer a little extra to repeat the lesson, just in case it didn't sink in the first time.