8 sunny, fun-filled days in Cabarete

Sukie

Jun 26, 2002
Hi all - I'm back from my Cabarete vacation. It was one of the best I've had. It had been about 4 years since my last visit but Cabarete hasn't changed much. That cool vibe has not gone away. Here's some highlights.

Hotel - El Magnifico - Absolutely fabulous! One of the coolest places I have ever stayed in. We rented the Presidential Penthouse in Building 5. It's a steal at $128 US. It has two bedrooms w/contemporary decor. I'd describe it as a higher class IKEA-style. We were oceanfront and every view from the 3 balconies to the rooftop deck (complete w/outdoor shower) was beautiful. They have a jacuzzi right off the beach and it made a long day soo relaxing. The staff was great. Angela, the receptionist, is a sweetheart. She helped us plan a last-minute wedding which went off without a hitch.

Weather - It was sunny and hot every single day. It rained once but we were sleeping so it had to be sometime after 2:00 AM.

Beaches - We alternated between Cabarete and Sosua. The beach service in Sosua was awesome. We rented chairs from a great guy named Lobo. He was very attentive so we kept going back. He ordered our food from El Chiringuito and the fried fish w/tostones was out of this world. We also bought oysters, shrimp, and empanadas from the beach vendors. Everything was good and cheap! The guys got a great deal on the snorkeling equipment. They even got it free one day because we kept consuming so much.

Restaurants - We did not have a single bad meal the entire trip. We had comida tipica at Sandro's, German breakfast at Friendly Amigo, seafood at D&D, Ho La La, ice cream at Helados Bon (the mantecado [Dominican vanilla] was still as buttery as I remember it). Our nicest meal was at On the Waterfront in Sosua. It was the most expensive meal of the trip but we were celebrating the wedding afterall. The tab was about $400 US for 9 people complete w/champagne and a small cake. I think that's more than reasonable. You can't get that price in Jersey.

Nitelife - Oddly, the Monday we arrived was off the hook party-wise. Tuesday thru Thursday were a lil dead. We went over to Voodoo in Sosua on Thursday and it was dead too. It's a nice place though. The nitelife picked up on Friday and Saturday. We were told that Sunday was the best nite but we weren't in the area by then. The bars that got the most attention were Bambu, Onnos, Las Brisas and Crazy West. Esthetically, the prettiest is D&D.

Car Rental - We rented a Honda CRV for $45 US from Enterprise (their business cards read Interprise) on the main road in Cabarete. Gasoline was expensive! We paid about $34 US to fill the tank.

One last thing, Continental overbooked our flight and we volunteered our seats. We were given a travel voucher and a hotel night at the all-inclusive Playa Naco in Playa Dorada. It was a little rundown but we were told they're renovating. When we arrived at the airport the next day, Continental offered us another deal; this time a stay at Sosua Bay and another travel voucher. I couldn't accept it though as I had to get back to work. Someone could really make out like a bandit w/all that free travel. Anyway, they flew us back first-class. It was my first time in first-class and it was just like the Seinfeld episode. They really do give you sundaes! I'll savor the memory for years.

Last edited:

Sukie

Jun 26, 2002
Jimmydr said:
I checked it out. There were only 2 of you or did you pay for extra people?

There were originally 3 us in the penthouse ($128 for 2 people and $24 for additional person) but my cousin joined us later. The guys rented the 2 bedroom apt ($117 for 2 people) and that was pretty cool too. The master bedroom was on a platform and the black doors slid open. It's a true players pad; something out of a movie.

Sukie

Jun 26, 2002
Jimmydr said:
Thanks.

That is alot of money to pay for that area.

I respect your opinion, but the apt. is worth every penny. You're paying for comfort. A penthouse like that in the states would run you min. $500 US a day. It's off the strip and very quiet. You have the beach to yourself and you're not hasseled because the vendors don't go up there. I used to stay in an apt. across from Piccolo for $30/$40 a nite (I paid $44 at El Magnifico after splitting it 4 ways). However, the noise was unbearable, there was no A/C, and the hot water lasted 2 minutes. I work hard and look forward to every vacation. If I'm not comfortable w/my surroundings, I'm miserable. A nasty hotel can easily ruin a vacation. I used to be able to make do w/the bare necesseties but as I get older, comfort is key.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
One thing is for sure, the DR is very under valued. I wish more places would increase their prices. It's one of the cheapest destinations in the Caribbean right now, hopefully in time, that will change. It has to change, the DR cannot sustain the current volume at the current price points.

At the end of the day, if you have had a wonderful vacation, price is long forgotten...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hlywud said:
bite your tongue!!!!

We do not need it to be more expensive, Cuba is generally chaeper from Canada so we don't want to have to go back.

Keep it inexpensive.

The problem is it's not sustainable. The dollar yield per tourist is decreasing and the tour operators are raping the country. The pressure being put on the environment, services and infrastructure is too much.

If cheap tourists decide to go to other countries purely based on price, then so be it, I think that can only be good for the future of the DR. Iin many cases, cheap tourists are really not very beneficial to the country. The flow of ?take? is huge and not much filters back locally.

Price points have to change in order for the DR to market a profitable product.
This will happen gradually, but it will and is happening and I support it 100%!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Well Robert,

you may want it and it might make sense at some level but the reality is that for the past four years my two week package in the DR (comparable quality AIs) have been about the same price ($3600.00 CDN + or -) but this year (April '05) we got a comparable deal for $3000.00 CDN. Now these of course would be differing prices in $US as the $CDN vs. $US exchange has not been static over that period BUT my currency of purchase has been constant.

These are all reasonably comparable resorts Riu, Iberostar, Bahia Principe, Breezes and Marien Coral By Hilton and always for two people for two weeks on the North Coast in April. I'm not sure why prices were down this year but that is what we experienced. Also this year there seemed to be much more early activity which could auger well for the Winter/Spring Tourist Season.

Gregg

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Right now it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Hotels need a better dollar yield to invest in providing a better product. The only way to get that better dollar yield is by providing a better product.

Tour operators right now control the DR tourism market.
They have been driving down prices in order to sustain their own profit margins. It will soon be at a point, where hotels can no longer offer extremely low prices to tour operators to get their business. Their overheads are increasing and they need to re-invest in order to stay in business.

Tour operators couldn't careless where they send clients, they are looking to get a certain dollar yield and offer a certain level of vacation. As soon as the DR cannot meet one of those requirements, they will move onto another country, it's that simple.

Of course, many more complex issues are involved, culturally, environmentally, sustainability etc. I'm just telling you that the current great pricing you are getting will not last forever and in the long run it?s a cancer that will kill the DR if it?s not treated.