Who's been to Tropical Plantation?

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
I tried searching archives but could find nothing on the Tropical Plantation, Carretera turistica Puerto Plata - Santiago, Tubagua. I don't remember anyone mentioning it on DR1. Has anyone been there? Any comments? Thanks!

Last edited:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Not yet, but

I will be going in April.

It is a tourist attraction located where you describe which has local flora and fauna for interaction. They have a website at www.plantationtropical.com and if you wish to correspond with them I have more information and the personal e-mail address of the Marketing Director (which I prefer not to post because it is personal). Please PM or E-mail me for additional info.

If you decide to go there, I would appreciate some feedback.

Gregg

P.S. - Greetings from Nova Scotia.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
How much is it to visit this attraction? Would you have to make your own way there or is there some kind of pick-up point?

David Dempsey

Jul 3, 2004
Right Plantation -- Wrong Location

Tropical Plantation is NOT on the Carretera Turistica around Tubagua -- unless they created another one in the past two years! The Tropical Plantation that I know about is in the southeast of the country and is visited by tourists who come to Punta Cana. It is located on the road between Hato Mayor and Sabana de la Mar.

Most people go there in tours but I went there by myself. I found it very interesting and a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. Don't remember the exact price.

David Dempsey

Jul 3, 2004
Guess there's a new Tropical Plantation

Sorry, I looked up their website and yes, it appears they now have moved to the Carretera Turistica. If it's as nice as the one that was north of Hato Mayor, I would recommend it. Tubagua also has a great cave system that's cool to explore.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Recommended !

Hi everyone,
I visited the tropical plantation around Tubagua a month ago. I don't know if it is already open to public yet. It is owned by the same owner that also has the tropical plantation near Hato Mayor.
It is really big and makes for a beautiful and very educational half-day trip from POP/Playa Dorada. They grow all sorts of fruit which you can taste, coffee you can drink, have different types of palm trees and lots and lots of tropical flowers. It really feels great, away from all the noise, surrounded only by nature's best and being able to touch and taste it.
There will be pick up from the hotels in the POP area.
For more info, send a PM to Planner, she does the marketing of it.

Bartolomeo

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi tired_boy,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Going from memory so don't hold me to it.

Cost is about $39US - $49US per person for a half day and includes return transportation from your hotel. There is a transportation suplement for some farther away hotels.

Gregg

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Information from the source.....

Hello everyone, I am the marketing director for the Tropical Plantation.

YEs, it is on the Carretera turistica just past Tubagua. YEs there is another plantation on the south coast. The owner is the same person. HE has been developing this plantation for 4 1/2 years Unfortunately he gave both of these the same name and it causes a lot of confusion!!! I would really like to change the name here.

The plantation is currently offering 1/2 day guided tours. IT is primarily sold thru the tour operators who bring down the tourists. However, it is also available thru my office or directly at the plantation. If you are interested send me an email at darlenetp@verizon.net.do I'll be happy to answer your questions.

WE have over 30 acres of gardens, a pet zoo, 2 free flight aviaries, over 4,000 japanese koi goldfish and some incredibly stunning views. Heck even the ride up is an adventure.... We do not offer alcohol but do offer Dominican coffee, fruit tastings and refreshments.....

Thanks for posting the website earlier! Check out the photos. We are going to redesign the website too, I really don't like it. I'm open to your suggestions on the site....

Darlene

N

naturelover

tubaqua

is this place still open and can the caves still be accessed.....the web site doesnt seem to work.....is it something to do with the garden centre

Caz

May 15, 2004
We went there a year ago and although the place was up for sale - tours were still going on. The guy running the place was Bernado 809-697-6362 809-656-1210 - don't know if it is still open.

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi Keith & Cris,

We have been to the Tropical Plantation, had a good time great view's, and
Darlen was verry nice.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The plantation is for sale, the price is ridiculous. I am told Bernardo is no longer there as he walked out on his family. His ex wife is still there but I am not sure the grounds are maintained properly. Apparently for a "donation" you can still walk the grounds.

It is a shame - the location is truly stunning! But it was not a money maker - too much competition for tourist dollars and the commissions demanded by the incoming tour operators make it unfeasible economically.

Tim Hall

Mar 30, 2009
Tubagua update

Hi folks, this is a short clarification concerning the similarity in names between Tropical Plantation and Tubagua Plantation Eco Village.

The Tropical Plantation, now closed, used to be a sightseeing attraction. The owner of this has a similar farm in the southeast, growing and exporting exotic flowers.

Tubagua Plantation Eco Village, opened in 2008, is an eco lodge and organic farm that receives 'voluntourism' groups and independent travelers. More information at
There is another attraction in the area of Tubagua that is called the Jasmine Spa and Wellness Center.

Tubagua is a town located some 20 kilometers from Puerto Plata up the "Tourist Highway", a spectacular scenic mountain drive that connects Santiago with the north coast, hooking up with the north coast highway just west of Montellano. This highway is currently enjoying the support of JICA, the Japanese NGO working to develop rural tourism in the province of Puerto Plata via its TURISOPP project. Over the next two years expect to see some interesting developments such as rural exhibits to amber mines, a coffee processing plant, organic produce, etc. as a means to promote traffic and interest along this very picturesque mountain highway. The TURISOPP project is doing an excellent job at organizing communities to take their own resources in hand and promote them. And as we work on these initiatives, we hope our President, who personally decreed this the "Tourist Highway" back in the nineties, will take another look at it—and throw a little asphalt and a steamroller our way! Anyone interested in this development project, just contact us via our email form at Yours,

Tim Hall
Prop. Tubagua Plantation Eco Village

Last edited by a moderator:

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Any news about them fixing the highway sometime?
It's a great drive but the car really takes a beating.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That's wonderful Tim. Thanks for the update.

I, too, hope that they fix that road one of these days!!

HB