How to pronounce Sosua?

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
OK, Dumb Question #1: How, exactly, does one pronounce Sosua? I'm sure this must have been asked before, but I searched on "Sosua+pronounce" and didn't find it. I'm going to be heading there in November and this bit of knowledge might come in handy, like if I want to tell a cab driver that I need to get to...?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Victor Laszlo said:
OK, Dumb Question #1: How, exactly, does one pronounce Sosua? I'm sure this must have been asked before, but I searched on "Sosua+pronounce" and didn't find it. I'm going to be heading there in November and this bit of knowledge might come in handy, like if I want to tell a cab driver that I need to get to...?
You won't find So-su-ah in any Spanish language references because Sosua is Yiddish. Read about the early Jewish refugee/settlers in WW2 during Trujillo's dictatorship.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
DominicanScotty said:
You won't find So-su-ah in any Spanish language references because Sosua is Yiddish. Read about the early Jewish refugee/settlers in WW2 during Trujillo's dictatorship.

It does sound like it could be Hebrew or Yiddish but AFAIK Sosua was already in existence when the settlers arrived in the 1940s. Sosua, according to the historical accounts I've read, was a small banana town. The name could be of Taino origin like so many Dominican place names. Anyone have more information about this?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
If you're from Boston it's..

So-sue-wer.

I left my frikin cahkeys in sosuer.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
The name could be of Taino origin like so many Dominican place names. Anyone have more information about this?

The author of a book I was given titled Sos?a: Origen, Fundaci?n y Desarollo cites about 6 versions of the place-name's origin, but only gives credence to two:

1. That there were plants referred to as oz?as used for medicinal purposes near the river that is now called Sos?a. It is suggested that people got to saying "voy para las oz?as" and the name became what it is today.

2. That it comes from the Chibcha language word for earthworm (lombriz) because the river was so shaped.

(The R?o Sos?a is the little river that goes through El Tabl?n.)

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Really? I am learning something everyday. But I did read it about in a book called "The Ship Of Fools". Thanks for that input, i will have to check it out.

Scotty

Chirimoya said:
It does sound like it could be Hebrew or Yiddish but AFAIK Sosua was already in existence when the settlers arrived in the 1940s. Sosua, according to the historical accounts I've read, was a small banana town. The name could be of Taino origin like so many Dominican place names. Anyone have more information about this?