What surprised you about the DR?

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
I'm about to move to SD from NY, and I've visited 4 times before. I'm doing my research, reading the forums, and married a local. But what I'd like to know is; What suprised you most about living in the DR? We can only prepare so much, read so much, but what about actually living there suprised you, cultural differences? basic living tasks? whatever struck you or was hard to adjust to?

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
I was sitting in Scotiabank (Puerto Plata) waiting for the manager and in comes this man with a gun sticking out of his pocket. I thought well that?s interesting. Then I started looking around and noticed that several others also had guns hanging out of their pants. That day, I saw a total of 5 people, all at the same time, in the bank with guns.

I wonder what would happen if 5 idiots like that walked into a bank in L.A. or N.Y. with guns sticking out of their pockets.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Interesting thread

Hi there, what an interesting idea for a thread. Unfortunately I think you might have to wait a bit for a response with all the weather related issues going on.

For me, and very timely, is the lack of preparation for bad weather. I hear comments all the time, hurricanes never hit us, it won't be a big deal, God will protect us..... etc etc. That shocks me. NOw that we have been hit, I am sure those same people will be looking to others to bail them out or to blame. This whole issue does not only apply to the locals it also applies to those who have chosen to live here.

The other item for me is the amount of superstition and old wives tales! It constantly amazes and yes sometimes entertains me. I find it hard to believe that people actually believe this stuff!!! Then I have to realize that they have not all had access to the education and culture that we have..... still it is amazing....

Maybe a thread of amazing old wives tales????

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
Some quotes:

Re: the earthquake ? ?Man created the earthquake but God stopped it?

Re: Teen pregnancy ? ?after you have sex, if you don?t want to get pregnant you have to press on your bellybutton?

?Just make sure you go pee after you have sex, that way you won?t get pregnant?

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
Ripley's believe it or Not.......

What amazed me is that after moving into my apartment, someone stole my electric meter and left me without power for two days. What the hell would anyone want with a meter. I thought that if you wanted to steal electricity all you had to do was jump two wires?

And then when I go to the power company to report it, they tell me I need a police report before they can put another one in. Like I was the one who took it out in the first place. Mind you, I pay my bills. I guess they have a different way of showing customer appreciation.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Another thing

ANother few things about the cultural differences:

I am single and dating. When I date dominican men the relationship moves at the speed of light! Within 2 weeks they are talking about marriage! AHHHHHHH

The woman is expected to take care of the man! Period. I would be expected to leave my full time job at lunch time and go home to make a "meal" for him. That would be even if he isn't actually working. OR, I could get up at 5 in the morning and make the meal before I leave at 8 to go to work, just leave the food on the stove, the table or in the fridge....... Uh oh, we have a problem here......

The other thing I find is when I go dancing in a place I don't usually go and therefor am not known well. Because I am white and in a club the men assume I am looking to pick up a Sankie! IT can be very annoying and insulting at times. She is white therefor will pay to get laid...... Oh no another problem.....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
planner said:
The woman is expected to take care of the man! Period. I would be expected to leave my full time job at lunch time and go home to make a "meal" for him. That would be even if he isn't actually working. OR, I could get up at 5 in the morning and make the meal before I leave at 8 to go to work, just leave the food on the stove, the table or in the fridge....... Uh oh, we have a problem here......

Me thinks you're mixing in the wrong "Dominican" social circles.
This post is better suited for the "Mars and Venus" forum.

Thanks, Rob.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
planner said:
I am single and dating. When I date dominican men the relationship moves at the speed of light! Within 2 weeks they are talking about marriage! AHHHHHHH

The woman is expected to take care of the man! Period.

Mind you, this only goes when its a sankie-white woman type of thing.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans NEVER prepare for ANYTHING,let alone an EMERGENCY!

It is just not in their blood! They don't do "Preventive Maintenance" either."When it breaks,fix it,until then why waste the money?"

I have three 12 "Gallon" propane tankes in my house,used to have 2,went to 3 early this year when "Hipolito" screwed up that part of the economy too! Dominicans won't invest,some can't,but wouldn't if they could,in "extra" propane.It has saverd my a$$ several times.Dominicans WILL ask me to loan them a full tank when they run out though."Yeah Right!"

I usually have 50 to 100 pounds of rice in the closet,5 to 10 gallons of cooking oil,beans,canned hams and fish,pampers,"Butt Wipes", canned milk,and other "dried" and canned foods stored!I have 16,5 gallon water bottles,100 galons of diesel fuel for the "planta",and the cars "gassed up" if "things" look problamatic!!

I think I am a "Party-Of-One"when it comes to being prepared,maybe the Dominican "Mormons" are "storing" too? Can't say!

Cris colon

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
discussion

I wasn't intending a discussion of any of my obesrvations, just stating them.....

Culturally there are so many differences it is astounding.

Robert, I am open to introductions to the other "social circles" whenever it is convenient for you.....

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I guess that is another difference here. There is a very very obvious class structure and the assumptions made about people based on their colour and heritage is amazing. Of course it happens everywhere I'm amazed at how blatant it can be here.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks Juanita, great thread. It was a very good chuckle but oh sooooo true....

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
DR's Old Wives Tales!

Talking about DR?s old wives tales! There is one that I really like. If you are cooking something in the oven, don?t open it and than go for the fridge; the change in temperatures will give you a hearth attack. Mmmm?I wonder if the same rule applies for us Canadian when we take a really hot sauna and jump in the frozen river during winter time! :cross-eye

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Many things surprised me about the DR but no. 1 has the be the anti-smoking culture here. I have been to large gatherings, ranging from a well-attended disco in a small town to our junta de vecinos meetings and Christmas parties where not one person lights up a cigarette.

There are some exceptions, like upmarket nightspots, places frequented by foreigners and touristy areas but my impression is that Dominicans as a whole, despite being hedonistic and carefree about the consequences of unhealthy pursuits are very disapproving of smoking.

In most Latin countries (especially Spain and Cuba in my experience) people smoke everywhere, all the time. The DR is a tobacco producer, and cigarettes are not so expensive as for most people to not be able to afford them.

I have often wondered why smoking is so rare here and have never had a convincing answer about it.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
juanita said:
Talking about DR?s old wives tales! There is one that I really like. If you are cooking something in the oven, don?t open it and than go for the fridge; the change in temperatures will give you a hearth attack. Mmmm?I wonder if the same rule applies for us Canadian when we take a really hot sauna and jump in the frozen river during winter time! :cross-eye
Not a heart attack but el pasmo (spasms?). ?Te quedas con la cara torcida!
:eek:

planner said:
Shut up or my husband will find out.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
My favorite is that the "Guachiman" all have sawed off shotguns, and they are a dime a dozen, since every guard has them. Of course these men are professionals and have extensive training. ;)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Hey Pib, is this grounds for extortion now?? I'm telling your husband.....

The one I just heard left me laughing so hard I almost peed my pants. Dominican man after some good sex said his penis was too hot, couldn't have a shower till it cooled off! He was afraid it wouldn't work again!!!!

solartimba

Dec 5, 2003
smoking mores

I would really like to know the answer to Chirimoya's observation. It is just so philosophically inconsistent.