Salvador Jorge Blanco

S

sean

What finally happened to Salvador Jorge Blanco? Is he in prison or is he in the United States.

S

sean

I'm sorry, but can I ask one more question about Mr. Blanco. I don't know anything first-hand about his Presidency, or about the merits of the politically inspired case against him, so I hope it offends no one, one way or the other. I understand that he was allowed by Balaguer to leave the country for medical treatment, then tried in absentia and sentenced to something like twenty years in prison. What happened after this? Did he have to remain in exile until an amnesty was granted by Fernandez? Thanks for your help.

D

DR One

He was tried again upon his return to the country, and sentenced again. From what I remember he appealed and the case is still in limbo. The Fern?ndez government/ the judiciary during his goverment have not touched the case so far.

It is widely accepted that there was corruption in the Jorge Blanco government, but there was more corruption in the government that followed, that of former President Balaguer under whose government Jorge Blanco was prosecuted. Thus the main reason why people say the case was politicized.

The government of Jorge Blanco was a major disappointment. He was a young President and expectations were high. Jorge Blanco was elected into government with the promise of a clean government (he even paid the highway tolls), and this was true during his first two years of government. Things changed in his last two years of government, and since expectations of a change were high (from the corruption of the Balaguer years), there was much more disappointment.

S

sean

DR1: Thanks so much for your help with this one. I had been getting some confusing information, and this post solves my problem. Many thanks!