Advice please

JohnB

Sep 23, 2004
Hi Everybody,
I'm a EU citizen (UK passport) and 58 years old. My wife is being transferred to DR by her employers and I'd like to know what I need to do about settling in DR (assuming that my wife's formalities will be attended to by her employers) Here are some questions - but any other things I should know/do will be appreciated.

1. Do I need to arrange residence (temporary or permanent )before I arrive?
I've heard that a DR guarantor may be required.....!?

2. Always assuming I can find a job will I be able to work legally - do I need a work permit, will I have to arrange this before arriving?

3. What about importing household effects - will we have to pay import taxes?

4. Driving - how does one get a DR driving licence? Are EU licences or other national ones acceptable/exchangeable?

5. Employing domestic workers - do we need to know anything? Is there some kind of mandatory employers' liability insurance?

6. Are there standard apartment/home rental contracts - IS THERE A MINIMUM LEASE REQUIREMENT?

7. Any other legal "traps or pitfalls" we should know about?

Thanks in advance

JohnB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
JohnB said:
Hi Everybody,
I'm a EU citizen (UK passport) and 58 years old. My wife is being transferred to DR by her employers and I'd like to know what I need to do about settling in DR (assuming that my wife's formalities will be attended to by her employers) Here are some questions - but any other things I should know/do will be appreciated.

1. Do I need to arrange residence (temporary or permanent )before I arrive?
I've heard that a DR guarantor may be required.....!?

2. Always assuming I can find a job will I be able to work legally - do I need a work permit, will I have to arrange this before arriving?

3. What about importing household effects - will we have to pay import taxes?

4. Driving - how does one get a DR driving licence? Are EU licences or other national ones acceptable/exchangeable?

5. Employing domestic workers - do we need to know anything? Is there some kind of mandatory employers' liability insurance?

6. Are there standard apartment/home rental contracts - IS THERE A MINIMUM LEASE REQUIREMENT?

7. Any other legal "traps or pitfalls" we should know about?

Thanks in advance

JohnB

Hi John,

Most of these questions have been answered in-depth on the message board.
Take a look at the search function, it's excellent for digging up information.

Answers in brief.

1) No, you can do that here.
2) Yes, you need residency or a permit to work legally.
3) Not if you?re a resident.
4) You can exchange your UK license.
5) It's easy, just need to be aware in regard to severance etc.
6) All depends on who you?re leasing from. Most owners will want 6 months plus, a year is the norm.
7) Lots, keep reading this site and you will find lots of threads about living in the Dominican Republic.

As I said, we are the largest pool of knowledge on the Dominican Republic on the planet, take the time to research all the information on this site and especially the message board. Then come back with specific questions and we will answer them.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
First of all John, a very hearty WELCOME to DR1. I trust your stay here (in DR & on DR1), will fill your life with pleasure!

Where are you going to be in the DR?? Santo Domingo, Santiago or North Coast? Which company is your wife employed by (Just curios)?

1. Do I need to arrange residence (temporary or permanent )before I arrive? NO
I've heard that a DR guarantor may be required.....!? Not normally required!

2. Always assuming I can find a job will I be able to work legally - YES,
do I need a work permit, Not normally unless it is only a short visit & generally people don't notice you until you have gone!!
will I have to arrange this before arriving? - N/A]

3. What about importing household effects - Can be done but is normally quite a hassle. Might be better to store them (if your wife's secondment here is a shortish one) or SELL them & buy anew!
will we have to pay import taxes? If you have RESIDENCIA (residency) papers started NO, you shouldn't. But don't BANK on this as customs are a law unto themselves & make the rules up as they go along. You will most likely be charged ITBIS (VAT to you & me!!) on some electrical goods if they feel in that sort of mood!! If you bring your household goods, itemise everything, keep the value VERY low & in all cases "It is 20 years old !!!"

4. Driving - how does one get a DR driving licence? Easy. Costs about ?50
Are EU licences or other national ones acceptable/exchangeable? You can drive on your UK/EU licence for about 6 months & after that the Insurance company will make any insurance policy void if you have an accident!! Best to organise one within the first 4 months to make everything acceptable to the insurance companies!!

5. Employing domestic workers - do we need to know anything? Yes, LOTS!!!! You need to discuss proper rates of pay & find someone who is RELIABLE in time keeping & has respect for your property. That will come over the forthcoming weeks/months until you get here. When are you coming by the way, you haven't mentioned that yet.
Is there some kind of mandatory employers' liability insurance? Not really, but it could be on it's way. You need to do more chatting with us once you know what amount of time you want your helpers for, how long you are going to be here etc. etc.

6. Are there standard apartment/home rental contracts - Normally YES!
IS THERE A MINIMUM LEASE REQUIREMENT? Depends on what is agreed with the renter - normally 3 months but better rental rates can be obtained if you agree for 6 or 12 months!

7. Any other legal "traps or pitfalls" we should know about? Loads of them!! Drop me an e-mail once you have been through the archives here on DR1 if you want info on the North Coast!!

Good luck with your investigations ~ Grahame.

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
If I were you, I would make contact with an honest lawyer that speaks fluent English and do absolutely everything through that person. Believe me, it'll save you a lot of grief ... (ie. residency permit, rental agreement, vehicle purchase ...)

BigD