Montellano 9/5-9/20

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Back home again after a couple of weeks in paradise. It was our 2nd trip to D.R. this year. On our friends recommendation we stayed at Hotel Felix in Montellano. The hotel is normally frequented by local people and foreigners are not often seen there. It was no luxury hotel but the room had everything we needed, a bed, A/C, shower, toilet, ceiling fan and TV. As there is no electricity in Montellano for most of the time, the hotel had a planta which was working for a limited time per day.

When we arrived our friends picked us up at the airport and took us to the hotel to see if we could accept the room, which we did. After that we went to Playa Bergantin to meet a few other friends and spend the afternoon there. Then we went back to airport to rent a car. It took some time before we could agree on the price for the car. We rented a VW Gol. In the evening we went with some friend to Waterfront in Sosua to eat and after that is was time to go to Las Brisas. It was nice to meet all the friends at Las Brisas again and we stayed there until they closed the club at 4 in the morning. Naturally we were tired the next morning.

Unfortunately, we had some bad luck with the car and had to change 4 times. One day we had to change it twice. In the first car the fan belt broke and we had to leave the car on the street in Puerto Plata. In the next car the engine for the side window suddenly stopped working and it was impossible to close the window and also the signal horn was out of function. In the third car the battery was finito and we had to change the car again ? this time for the last time. Luckily, Avis took care of these changes excellently, all we did was to call them and after a little while a mechanic brought another car.

We found it very interesting to stay in Montellano and explore the local life style. There is party in the street every night. That is something we are not used to in Finland - it not allowed to party in the street. We stayed out in the street with our friends every night, except for those nights when Las Brisas was open. It was a lot of fun and we got many new friends.

This time we also made the traditional excursion to Samana and Cayo Levantado with a couple of friends. We spent a few relaxing hours on the island, swimming and eating good. On the way back to Puerto Plata we use to stop at La Fuente and wash off the salt from the skin in the mineral water pool. That is refreshing.

The Paternales festivities took place at La Union. El Jeffrey was performing there and we went to see the band. Wow! Very good merengue! What a fireworks!

One day our friends arranged a barbeque party for us on a small beach near the airport. We went there in the morning and stayed until late afternoon. On the programme was swimming, eating, having some rhum and just spend time together.

Then on 9/17 the hurricane Jeanne hit Puerto Plata. We had never experienced a hurricane before, so we found it a little bit interesting to see what it is all about. During the storm we stayed at the hotel and when it was over we went out to see what damages it had caused.

During our stay we tried to spend as much time as possible on Playa Bergantin, while it is still an unspoiled paradise. Maybe some time next year the people from Bergantin and Boca Nueva will have to relocate to Montellano. It seems that they will not relocate voluntarily. I talked to one guy who is living on the beach and he was very upset about the relocation.

Everything fun is over sooner or later, so was our vacation. The last evening we spent at the Dollar?s bar in Montellano. It was very sad to have to say goodbye to all our friends the next morning. Many of them suggested that we should stay a few days more (but that was impossible as we had to go back to work) and many asked when we will come back.

It was a great vacation and we loved every minute of it!

Pictures will soon be uploaded here: http://community.webshots.com/user/saguna101

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That was a wonderful post

Shows just how much fun you can have if you use your head and do a little planninng.

Very happy you enjoyed Montellano, which is just not on everyone's Must See list!!

HEHEHE

HB :D:D:D

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You could be a resident!

I thought Chareena sounded as unperturbed about the car problems, as if she had been living here several years! Well done! Puts some of those AI reports to shame. Come back soon!

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Very happy you enjoyed Montellano, which is just not on everyone's Must See list!!

HEHEHE

HB :D:D:D

I agree with you there is not much to see in Montellano. The main attraction might be the sugar factory. Anyways, we felt very comfortable there. That is where many of our friends happen to live. A couple of them live on the same street as the hotel.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hey Chareena,
great post!
I also love Montellano and Las Brisas disco.
Where exactly is Hotel Felix located, is it quiet enough or very noisy, and what did they charge for the room?
Bartolomeo

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
Bartolomeo67 said:
Hey Chareena,
great post!
I also love Montellano and Las Brisas disco.
Where exactly is Hotel Felix located, is it quiet enough or very noisy, and what did they charge for the room?
Bartolomeo

Glad to see there is somebody else like me. The hotel is located on Calle Viejo Perez. There is no namesign on the hotel. It is a red building. The easiest way to get to the hotel is to drive in to Montellano on the mud road by the construction site. Then turn right to Calle Principal at Las Brisas, then turn right again to the second street after Las Brisas. The hotel is the second building on the left side.

It's a very quiet hotel and in no way touristic. There are only 5 or 6 rooms and the guy who is in charge of the hotel lives in one of the rooms. Furthermore, it is not possible to get any meals at the hotel, but there is a fridge in every room. Also, due to the constant power outages there is electricity only a limited time per day. Usually round 7 p.m. to 2-3 a.m. when the planta is working.

There is some noise in the evening and the night, but that comes from the bars and colmados on Calle Principal. They are playing music very loudly.

The price for the room is what you agree upon, but it should be approx. USD 10-15. I have uploaded pictures of the hotel on webshots.com.

Chareena

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
...a low-budget stay....

This is more for those interested in a low-budget stay, perhaps for the more adventurous types and not recommended for the great majority....even for most Dominicans, staying within earshot of 'colmados' playing loud-music and
a typical small town or outlying neighborhood populated by the lower, uneducated class is not fun. Even the 'typical Dominican food' in the photo
projects the very low-budget end of this society. I'm glad some people enjoy the change but leave me in Gazcue, in Santo Domingo, far from the masses.

TONITO

Jan 29, 2004
EXPEERIENCIA dOMINIICAN

Spirit7 said:
This is more for those interested in a low-budget stay, perhaps for the more adventurous types and not recommended for the great majority....even for most Dominicans, staying within earshot of 'colmados' playing loud-music and
a typical small town or outlying neighborhood populated by the lower, uneducated class is not fun. Even the 'typical Dominican food' in the photo
projects the very low-budget end of this society. I'm glad some people enjoy the change but leave me in Gazcue, in Santo Domingo, far from the masses.
THE LOWN BUDGET THING I THE BEST WAY TO EXPERIENCE R.D.