The Playa Grande Take over by the Kohler Empire?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I was just wondering if there is any futher news reguarding the Kohler take over of Playa Grande, its been a couple of months now and quite quit on The Rio San Juan's area new Mega Project...

Gringo

jwampler

Feb 5, 2004
Playa Grande Project

The only thing I've heard is that there are people there surveying and studying the property.

Jack

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Julio Iglesias

I have have been told that the Singer Julio Iglesias has also been a little bit active with his Beach Front Property close to the Bahia Principe Hotel, (Rio San Juan) This is good news if he decides to develop his land soon.

Jim Driscoll

Jan 4, 2002
Kohler and Playa Grande

The Kohler Company of Kohler Wisconsin (USA) announced on Thursday, last, that they have purchased the St Andrews Hotel (sic), at the Old Course in St. Andrews. The purchase did not include any golf course property. Perhaps Kohler has set their sights on Scotland, England and Ireland properties.

Two of the four Kohler golf courses, Whistling Straits and the Irish Course, both located in Haven Wisconsin are patterned after North Atlantic links courses. Herb Kohler has an affinity for Ireland (he spends a lot of time there.)

Those of us in Wisconsin usually hear about Kohler purchases shortly after they have been made. We have heard nothing of Kohler's forays into the Dominican Republic, in the Wisconsin news.

Kohler recently hosted the PGA tournament at the Whistling Straits course. The event was first class, as are all of Kohler's enterprises.

If Kohler does decide to get involved in Playa Grande, you can be assured that the project will be of first class proportions. The involvement will also mean that prices on the property will increase greatly. Green fees at the Kohler Whistling Straits course are approximately $250.00 (US) plus the cost of a caddy (and the caddy's tip.) Green fees on the Irish course are about $175.00 ( US) and you can walk without a caddy. Pricey? Yes!!!!!

Kohler also owns a resort hotel in Kohler, Wisconsin. Room rates are approximately $300.00 to $1,000.00 (US) per night depending on the type of accomadations. Kind of makes Casa de Campo look reasonably priced.

I wonder if the Dominican Republic is ready for another high priced resort?

I visit the Dominican Republic annually and I know that I would not spend that kind of money for golf and lodging.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since this was done under the PRD Government (sic)

We do not really know what has been done.

However, if you like golf, give us a buzz before your next trip...

HB :D:D

jwampler

Feb 5, 2004
Kohler Project

Hi Jim
The project as I understand it is being done by a holding corporation and they're doing a good job of keeping their identity private.
The reason I believe it could be Kohler is the deal follows the terms that were originally submitted by them. DR1 had an article about the terms and subsequently identified the holding corp as Playa Grande Holding Corp. There was also an article in one of the Dominican newspapers that identified Kohler as the original principal but as far as I know there hasn't been much else released.
I also heard the Milwaukee Times ran an article on or about April 17th speculating that it could be Kohler.
So it has taken on the name Kohler. That may or may not be true but whoever it is, there is no doubt they have a gem of property and Im sure we'll be hearing about it in the future. Im hoping it is Kohler as I have an interest in property very near and think it would be great for the entire north coast if so.

Jack
PS Let me know if you would like a copy of the articles, I'll be glad to send them to you.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
All lips are sealed!

jwampler said:
Hi Jim
The project as I understand it is being done by a holding corporation and they're doing a good job of keeping their identity private.
The reason I believe it could be Kohler is the deal follows the terms that were originally submitted by them. DR1 had an article about the terms and subsequently identified the holding corp as Playa Grande Holding Corp. There was also an article in one of the Dominican newspapers that identified Kohler as the original principal but as far as I know there hasn't been much else released.
I also heard the Milwaukee Times ran an article on or about April 17th speculating that it could be Kohler.
So it has taken on the name Kohler. That may or may not be true but whoever it is, there is no doubt they have a gem of property and Im sure we'll be hearing about it in the future. Im hoping it is Kohler as I have an interest in property very near and think it would be great for the entire north coast if so.

Jack
PS Let me know if you would like a copy of the articles, I'll be glad to send them to you.

Yes they are keeping very tight liped on this one, I feel to not attract to much attention toward the land speculators whom like myself are watching this one very closely........and will move in very fast at any sign of the slightist bit of activity.

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
what I saw @ Playa Grande

We went to Playa Grande with the dogs last week and we noticed 4 things that alone would mean nothing but given the rumors they may indicate something is happening.

Some time recently after the hurricane, the back road leading to the end of the beach closest to the golf course has been cleared of all the fallen trees. Looks like someone had a backhoe in there because there was a lot of debris moved to the side and the road changed it?s regular path in some cases.

When we got to the beach there was a huge hole?for what reason I have no idea, but a big hole dug, I guess, by the same backhoe.

We noticed that the beach was much cleaner although the high winds could have done part of the job I?m very sure that someone had ordered the overgrowth cleaned up.

And lastly 3 fat guys, not dressed for the beach at all arrived to take a look around. They were Dominicans and from the direction they were looking at and the things they pointed out to each other it would seem that they may have had something to do with the manicuring of the beach.

I guess it?s too much to ask to have Playa Grande left just as is?