Porfirio Rubirosa- El Primer Playboy del Mundo

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Hi, Everybody

I'm trying to get find some info on Porfirio Rubirosa and I found these 2 interesting links. The first link is about a possible mafia link, I wonder if this is true. The second link is about a movie that is going to be done on the life of the 1st International Playboy.

http://www.americanmafia.com/Feature_Articles_181.html
http://www.eldiariony.com/noticias/digoyo.aspx?section=28&Txtid=987687

I have done a research on Porfirio Rubirosa in the DR1 archieves. Does anybody have more info on him? His life? He sounds like an incredible guy, the real life James Bond. Also, did/does he have any children or relatives alive?

Good day,
Capo

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Nobody got info on the 1st Playboy, the real James Bond, the greatest Sankie Ever!!!

Sep 20, 2003
Here is a little info on him.

Profirio's father was a Dominican diplomat posted to France in the 1920's. His parents sent him to private schools in Paris were he recieved the equivalent of an American junior college education. The family was middle class and from Cibao.

He jioned the army when he returned to the Domincan republic and in 1932 He was assigned to be one of Trujillo's personal ADC's with the rank of lieutenant. Trujillo recognized his talents early on and he gained something from Trujillo that few men would ever gain, a feeling of friendship, at least the closest that Trujillo could ever have as a friendship.

Profirio married El Jefe's oldest daughter, Flor de Oro. The marriage elevated him from a mere ADC to the rank of Undersecretary of State for the President. He was also promoted to the rank of army captain and took over control of one of Trujillo's insurance companies. He was married in 1932, by 1934 he had also been "elected" as a deputy in the domincan congress.

The marriage ended in 1937. Flor de Oro would go on to be divorced at least 7 times by the time she was 35, including a marriage to the wealthy heir to the french perfume house Guerin.

The end of the marriage did not slow down Profirio's career at all. Trujillo assigned him to be the Domincan Ambassador to Nazi germany in 1937.

He would serve many diplomatic posts throughout his career. Profirio enjoyed the life of extreme luxury and used relationships with wealthy women to aquire the money to live it. In his day he was an unrivaled charmer. He became a world class polo player and knew many of the world's most beautiful actresses and models. He would later use his Hollywood connections to get Ramfis Trujillo involved with Zsa Zsa Gabor and Kim Novak.

There was a darker side to all this. Unproven, but highly likely, his involment with gathering intelligence on and the the assassinations of Trujillo's enemies living overseas. He was also instrumental in many behind the scenes diplomatic activites in the United States, with the help of the extremely able diplomat, Manuel de Moya.

He was killed in a auto acident in the 1960's when he wrecked his Ferrari sports car.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2003
The link provided by Capo has many ideas on it which i have never read about.

I did not know that Trujillo was involved in drug trafficing. Does anyone have any more information on that subject? I read that Trujillo went back into debt to finance his massive military build up in the last few years, not that he use drug money to finance the purchase of weapons, including state of the art jet fighters.

I also find it hard to believe the Profirio would be involved in the coup/assassination against Trujillo. From what i read Profirio never forgave Ramfis Trujillo for quitting the Dominican republic in 1961.

The link also talks about Flor de Oro as "plain". She's really attractive in the photos i've seen of her. She went on to bag men who were wealthy in their own right. She was a glamorous women on her own, she hardly needed her father's help getting dates.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Porfirio Rubirosa, another example of Dominican's love/hate relationship with most of their notorious historical characters. My own father, who was shot at by El Jefe's henchman in Washington DC, in the days that Jesus de Galindez 'dissapeared', would privately express his admiration for him, and he still does, at 98 and in good health, living in Spain, and recently celebrated his 60th wedding aniversary with my mother.

Mirador

Sep 20, 2003
Does anyone know what became of Profirio's other family members?

I read about one of his cousins who was implicated in the murder of a Dominican exile in New York City in the 1930's, does anyone know what became of him?