Lodging question.

sam5935

Oct 11, 2004
Hello!

I am considering going to DR for the first time in December. I will be able to go there sometime between Dec. 22 and Jan. 9. My first question is: How available is non-resort type lodging? I generally backpack and don't like to stay at the all-inclusive type places, although I may for the first night or to to acclimate. Second: How difficult will it be to find lodging during this time without reservations? My third and last question is: How much will lodging cost me? I am fine with foregoing some amenities like a pool, A/C, etc. Is it possible to find a room for less than $20us a day?

Thanks in advance. Provided it seems feasible for me to get a room during Christmas, I'll probably be asking more soon?

S-

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
So, Where Ya Goin'?

You might find arriving 3 days prior to Christmas and expecting to find a room , AI or not about as difficult as arriving at any other popular tourist location during the busiest travel season of the year - e.g difficult, or impossible. Book ahead.

If you typically backpack, acclimatizing yourself in an AI seems to be the opposite of what you are expecting to be doing, so skip that idea as it will cost more than you really need to pay and stay at a decent quality small tourist hotel.

As to where to stay for US$20 a day (or any other amount) you might mention where in the country that you are actually going as there are several widely separated areas for tourism. But minus A/C and a pool that is probably not out of the question, whether it is possible for Xmas is harder to say. Maybe, but it might be $8 a day and a slum.

sam5935

Oct 11, 2004
Well, I appreciate the help and any further replies are welcome. I do need to do some research and figure out what parts of the country I'll be in. I'm looking for mainly good cities to wander in, great nightlife with locals involved, not just tourists and wherever I can find a glimpse of the "real" DR, whatever that may be. The beach is fine, although it's not usually a top priority for me. Any advice?

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
sam5935 said:
Well, I appreciate the help and any further replies are welcome. I do need to do some research and figure out what parts of the country I'll be in. I'm looking for mainly good cities to wander in, great nightlife with locals involved, not just tourists and wherever I can find a glimpse of the "real" DR, whatever that may be. The beach is fine, although it's not usually a top priority for me. Any advice?

All the towns between Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata, including Santiago.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
sam5935 said:

For a unique combination of a truly Dominican city which is almost untouched by tourism, yet has a beach, try Nagua. I found the nightlife to be hopping, although the music at a couple of the discos was painfully loud, even by Dominican standards. If you like your senses being bombarded by decibel levels off the charts and strope lights, go to "virus". I personally preferred the carwash disco behind the Isla station. I did not encounter another tourist in the 2 days/nights I spent there.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
sweetdbt said:
For a unique combination of a truly Dominican city which is almost untouched by tourism, yet has a beach, try Nagua. I found the nightlife to be hopping, although the music at a couple of the discos was painfully loud, even by Dominican standards. If you like your senses being bombarded by decibel levels off the charts and strope lights, go to "virus". I personally preferred the carwash disco behind the Isla station. I did not encounter another tourist in the 2 days/nights I spent there.

Nagua is on the road to Samana, about 90 minutes from Sosua. A nice ride.