Santiago Rum

curiouscat

Oct 18, 2004
Hi, I'm new to the board :classic: I was wondering if anyone knows if Matusalem rum which is produced and bottled in Santiago, Dominican Republic is actually made by the Bermudez rum company? My Mom brought me back a bottle of Bermudez Aniversario from her recent trip to Puerto Plata and I don't want to buy Matusalem Gran Reserva rum here in Canada at $35.90 if it is one in the same. Is it just coincidence that when Matusalem competes in the Rum Fest Bermudez doesn't, and visa versa?

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Not the same rum - different families.

I like to use the white matsulem for mojitos it is the best I have found to make them. I would recommend this rum over Bacardi to anyone who can get it.

Although I am a Brugal Anejo extra Viejo on the rocks, bermudez is always good for the cuba libres.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Oh Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus man, drink the Aniversario either straight up or on the rocks. If you want to taste smooth that is a great one.

Use the cheap crap if you want to mix with Coke. That is a sickening drink usually had by kids.

I use the Brugal as a paint thinner or varnish remover only! What junk and not comparable to Aniversario in any way shape or form.

Escott

curiouscat

Oct 18, 2004
Escott, or anyone else who has had the pleasure of drinking premium Dominican Republic rum, how does Bermudez Aniversario compare to Barcelo Imperial rum? The Barcelo Imperial was available to buy as well, and I was wondering if I should get my Mom to pick me up that one when she visits Puerto Plata next year.

Also, I read that there's a tour available at the Bermudez Rum Factory ... does anyone know if a tour is available at the Matusalem Rum Factory too in Santiago? My Mom may make a day trip to Santiago and this could be one or two of the places to visit.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Paint stripper.

A.J. said:
Not the same rum - different families.

I like to use the white matsulem for mojitos it is the best I have found to make them. I would recommend this rum over Bacardi to anyone who can get it.

Although I am a Brugal Anejo extra Viejo on the rocks, bermudez is always good for the cuba libres.
Even the cheapest Barcelo A?ejo is better than Bacardi.
I agree with Scott on the usage of Brugal as paint stripper.
The only reason Brugal is so popular, is that the Dominicans feel it gives them better value.
As it is less refined than Barcelo, for instance, they get more bang and more headache the next day, and all for less money, so it must be better.
Ask Ted what would happen if we slipped Brugal into our Cuba Libres, here. They would lynch him.
The Bermudez Aniversario is nothing less than the cognac of rhums.
Some people might argue that the Siglo De Oro is better, and I can't say for sure.
They are both excellent, but, paying 4 times the price for the Siglo over the Aniversario does not make sense.
Brugal is good for making mamajuana and not bad for disinfecting open wounds.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Imperial.

curiouscat said:
Escott, or anyone else who has had the pleasure of drinking premium Dominican Republic rum, how does Bermudez Aniversario compare to Barcelo Imperial rum?
There are 2 Barcelo Imperials, and one is older and more expensive than the other.
They are both excellent value, but the Aniversario is the tops, IMHO.

curiouscat

Oct 18, 2004
Thank you Rocky for the info about there being two Barcelo Imperial rums available. I'm glad my Mom picked up the Bermudez Aniversario after reading what you said about it. She didn't get the chance to visit Sosua to go to the Super Super, but when she goes on vacation to Puerto Plata next year, I'm sure she will. (I'll tell her to visit Rocky's too ;) )

I actually had Barbancourt 5 Star rum from Haiti as my first choice because I wanted to try a rum made with sugar cane juice instead of molasses, but she wasn't able to find it. Do you know if Barbancourt is available in Sosua ... I was wondering if the Super Super carries other Caribbean countries' rums, or only DR ones?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Barbancourt 5 star

curiouscat said:
She didn't get the chance to visit Sosua to go to the Super Super,
Definitely the best store for liquor in Sosua.
curiouscat said:
I actually had Barbancourt 5 Star rum from Haiti as my first choice because I wanted to try a rum made with sugar cane juice instead of molasses, but she wasn't able to find it.
I didn't know that.
curiouscat said:
Do you know if Barbancourt is available in Sosua ... I was wondering if the Super Super carries other Caribbean countries' rums, or only DR ones?
We do have a bottle here. People occasionally bring them back to us from Haiti. Haven't ever seen them on the shelves, anywhere.
Darn fine stuff.

Apr 26, 2002
curiouscat said:
... does anyone know if a tour is available at the Matusalem Rum Factory too in Santiago?
I would be shocked if there is a "Matusalem rum factory" in Santiago. Matusalem is an old Cuban brand from Santiago de Cuba (confusion?). It is now made in the DR, perhaps under license of the original owners of the brand. I bought a bottle in Costa Rica a few years ago, and was very unimpressed. I don't think it was made in the DR back then.

But then, what do I know about rum? I think Brugal Extra Viejo is the best buy in rum on the planet (as opposed to the best rum on the planet), which is heresy amongst some of the posters here who wouldn't be caught dead drinking the brand of the tigueres!

In any case, my guess is that "Matusalem", if it is truly manufactured in Santiago, DR, is produced under contract at one of the established distillers - Bermudez or Isidro Bordas. (I remember a few years ago when Isidro Bordas was producing a rum called "Habana Vieja" that wasn't too bad.)

Last edited:

curiouscat

Oct 18, 2004
Macroix rum

If anyone is still reading this thread, I was wondering what you think of Macroix 8 year old rum? I read that the company is in partnership with Brugal and was wondering if it is like Brugal Extra Viejo, or better? Does Macroix have the same reputation as Brugal, and inexpensive as well?

Apr 26, 2002
I would call Macorix an underated regional brand. It's popularity is still rather small and limited to the eastern part of the country. It's not as smooth, and therefore not as popular to the masses, as Brugal Extra Viejo, but has a very noticable cane flavor. It's been a while since I've had it, but, as I remember, it can vary in complexion from batch to batch.

It's not substantially cheaper than other rums of similar aging.

Edited to add: A web search confirms that Macorix has been part of the Brugal distilling empire since 1993.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It's not surprising that Matusalem came from Cuba, a lot of things came from Cuba after Castro took control.

Certain "Cuban" cigar companies are based in the Santiago area.

Heck, even Bacardi was originally from Cuba and then the owners fled to Puerto Rico and voila, PR got Bacardi rum.

I wonder why they jumped over the DR straight to PR? Oh well, that rum would have certainly damage the image of Dominican rum because its not very good, then again, it could be the Puerto Rican soil that don't give good sugar cane molasses!

I don't know, but Bacardi is no good. Bermudez Imperial are my favorite, despite the fact that I hardly drink any alcohol, but from time to time Imperial makes it to my mouth.

And I have tried Barbancourt from Haiti and I like it, though not as much as Bermudez Imperial, but still acceptable. I'm surprise that company has not done a vigorous global marketing campaign or are they? They would do well internationally I would think and all of that simply helps the Haitians in by creating more bottling jobs for them!

I was even surprised with Brugal. I think it is an appaling rum, but still better than Bacardi. However, Brugal entered the Italian market a few years ago and they are doing fabulously well over there. I am just surprised by that reaction from the Italians, you know since they tend to like only the best.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
curiouscat said:
Escott, or anyone else who has had the pleasure of drinking premium Dominican Republic rum, how does Bermudez Aniversario compare to Barcelo Imperial rum? The Barcelo Imperial was available to buy as well, and I was wondering if I should get my Mom to pick me up that one when she visits Puerto Plata next year.

Also, I read that there's a tour available at the Bermudez Rum Factory ... does anyone know if a tour is available at the Matusalem Rum Factory too in Santiago? My Mom may make a day trip to Santiago and this could be one or two of the places to visit.
I like the Ron Bemudez Aniversario better but only slightly. I have a bottle of that Brugal in the Blue bottle given to me as a gift but haven't tasted it yet.

Scott

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I will look into this thing

It seems to me that this "Cuban" rum is probably being made by Bern?dez. At least there is no other distillery in Santiago and I think I remember something about even the Bermudez people shutting down their distiillery and buying their alcohol from someplace else.

Anyway, the good news is, I just heard that BARCEL? (por Dios!!) Imperial will be coming out shortly, so I am going to buy my yearly case..., and because it has been so mentioned here, I will tempt my palate with some Berm?dez Aniversario...

Oh, and by the way????? I happen to have a bottle of 16 year old Barbancourt....stop by some time...

HB :D:D

curiouscat

Oct 18, 2004
Rocky mentioned there being two different Barcelo Imperial rums ... can you tell them apart from the labeling? This will be useful information because I want my Mom to pick up this brand next year on holidays if she doesn't come across Barbancourt again. (I wish I could hop on a plane and have a drink with Hillbilly right now ;) )

I've been reading about the historical/political influences on rum producing countries. It's interesting to learn that Puerto Rico imports sugar cane from Dominican Republic for rum production post-WWII when it diversified from agricultural to more industrial business. It seems the distillation process and not the raw ingredient is the factor in rum quality, eg. Bacardi.

Aged "sipping" rum is becoming more popular each year with spirit competitions/tastings and Caribbean travel educating people there are rums as fine as cognac and scotch, and it's not just a mixing drink. Here in Ontario the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) is stocking more imported rum brands, but the "markup" is still steep compared to domestic ones where it may hinder some from buying. I'm guessing the complicated importation process may be why Barcelo, Bermudez and Barbancourt are not found here :(

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I hadn't heard of this

But I will ask our guy at Barcel? about the "two" Imperials. I do not thinks so because the hook is that they only release this rum once a year in numbered bottles. It is limited to just a few thousand bottles. From the label: "From 15 series of 32 barrels each, that produce 8,464 bottles each. " So 8463 x 31 x 15 is the total production each year.

I do know that by May of the following year it is scarce in the market place.

And, you are welcome, should you arrive here.

HB :D:D

Apr 26, 2002
Hillbilly said:
It seems to me that this "Cuban" rum is probably being made by Bern?dez. At least there is no other distillery in Santiago and I think I remember something about even the Bermudez people shutting down their distiillery and buying their alcohol from someplace else.
HB,

Though you know enough about the "Ciudad Corazon" to have been one of the original "caballeros", I think you may have missed something here. The Isidro Bordas distillery has been operating in Santiago since 1935. You may know them best as the maker of "Crema de Oro", "Sangria Gitano" and every kid's Christmas favorite, "Vino Tinto Campeon" (it gives you muscles!).

And this line from their website may solve the Matusalem mystery:

"Thanks to our great capacity of production, we are offering our services in the elaboration of Private Marks of anyone of the products that we made and of type Licor or wine." http://www.isidrobordas.com/english/history.htm

BTW, I also heard that Bermudez is no longer distilling in Santiago, though any info you could track down on that question would be welcome.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are so right. They

are located on the street in back of the Clinica Corominas. Since they don't make rum, I had completely dismissed them. I love Ponche Crema de Oro at Shristmas time, a real egg nog with plenty of "nog" .

And I use vino Tinto Campeon all the time in curing tobacco! Its great...

I will look into this and see if they are doing the Methusela rum..And Adriano Bordas was a student of mine when he was an undergrad...Big duh!!

Old and stupid I'm feeling right now....:(:(:(

HB ??:(

curiouscat

Oct 18, 2004
Thanks for the invitation, Hillbilly :) If I had the $$$ I'd join my Mom and Aunt on their next vacation to Puerto Plata. I think I'd drive them nuts though since I'm not the sunbathing type and would rather sightsee.

The Bermudez website is in Spanish only, so I don't know if there's any relevant information there. Their website is very slow loading for my old computer system also.

http://www.ronbermudez.com