Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Puerto Plata seems dead

Hi!

Have any of you noticed that since a few weeks Puerto Plata seems different?

The usual loud music playing on almost every corner is gone. La Canita, the car washes seem empty.

People on the street are saying it's because of lack of free money to spend in peoples hands. They blame it on the new government and say many people only go out on the two paydays a month.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool No dinaro

The word on the street is fact not fiction. And now payday is going to be once a month soon. Since Dominicans live for today and aren't real big on budgeting, this should be interesting. Let's hope the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train.....sorry camion coming.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes, I have noticed that lately in Santiago...

I was thinking it was because prices are even higher with the dollar down. So those remittances from abroad buy less...and all those people returning with dollars to live in dream land are discovering their money goes a lot faster.

We are of course looking to leave and I have heard from others living near me that they may return to the USA.

I am hoping prices follow the dollar down and we can all live in peace.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy
    I was thinking it was because prices are even higher with the dollar down. So those remittances from abroad buy less...and all those people returning with dollars to live in dream land are discovering their money goes a lot faster.

We are of course looking to leave and I have heard from others living near me that they may return to the USA.

I am hoping prices follow the dollar down and we can all live in peace.
    Seems like things are tough now, but it's hard to believe that a few months of high exchange rates during the death throes of a corrupt regime should permenantly change the price structure of everything in the country. I have to believe that if/when the peso stabilizes (it's been pretty steady lately), prices will eventually find their proper level and things will pick up. OK, I'm a hopeless optimist!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've never seen so few cars and motoconchos. I almost don't have to use my horn, almost!

.............. ?
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I agreee but...

I agree with you all.... but I was on the Malecon on Wednesday night after the baseball game!!! I've never seen so many cars, motorcycles and pasolas all in one place. And I've never seen so many drunk men all in one place..... YOu would swear they had all won the world series themselves already.....

It will be interesting here for the duration of the actual series.

Lately it has been fairly quiet here. I do think that people were expecting more financial relief and they haven't gotten it. While some get money sent into the country it doesn't buy as much as it used to. AND prices have not fallen in most cases. IN many cases they are still rising.

On top of that we have huge amounts of people who now only get paid once a month and they have no idea how to handle that! There is some relief in site : double pay in December and a pay raise coming soon .....

That means lots of partying in December but for now things seem to be a little quieter.

Interesting to note: When the bars and clubs are full, it seems to be mainly men. THe women get to stay home....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Puerto plata seems dead because it is dead and dead for many years.
    santiago is also very slow and seems on the verge of dying as well. The trendy places are full but the rest of the places are slow. You see lots and lots of guys going out alone. I mean who can afford baileys and cocktail drinks for women. Now, lately, I see women going out in small groups and drinking beers. as soon as a guy accompanies them, their preferance changes to bailey's or other fancy drink. So men are avoiding going out with women. Women are forced to either stay home or drink beers with her girlfriends. So much for the independent woman concept. Hahahaha
    AZB

.............. ?
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NOt just here

Well AZB, you are absolutely right. BUt, it isn't just here. I see this all the time here and I used to observe it in Canada as well.

I am a single woman here and I am disgusted by this type of behaviour. Some women think that this is appropriate and somehow men owe them the drinks for the pleasure of their company.

I'd rather buy my own Brugal thank you very much. That being said, any man who thinks he can just come and drink with me for free is in for a rude awakening too.

Back to this thread: Even the women aren't going out and buying their own. Exception: when Eddy Herrera was playing at El Campito - hordes of women all drinking one beer and nursing it the entire evening! THe cover charge was 400 pesos and there were not a lot of people there. Mostly young women with a dream of Eddy....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Any minute now the spokeman for the ultra rich elite families should show up and tell us how the economy is booming. This is the place to be.... ect ect ect.

The prices are not coming down and some are still rising. Anyone thought about buying some skippy lately from pricesmart? The jar is not that big and at $21 what a bargain!

Using the TV's at pricesmart as a guide, the real exchange rate that they are paying to import them is 44.29 : 1.

Who is benefitting from the difference of 32.25 - 44.29? The five families at the top that control the banks and exchange houses.

And now for their spokeman......

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face I'm not anyone's spokesman.....but

Quote Originally Posted by gringo in dr
    Any minute now the spokeman for the ultra rich elite families should show up and tell us how the economy is booming. This is the place to be.... ect ect ect.

The prices are not coming down and some are still rising. Anyone thought about buying some skippy lately from pricesmart? The jar is not that big and at $21 what a bargain!

Using the TV's at pricesmart as a guide, the real exchange rate that they are paying to import them is 44.29 : 1.

Who is benefitting from the difference of 32.25 - 44.29? The five families at the top that control the banks and exchange houses.

And now for their spokeman......
    The fact is that imported items like Skippy PB and televisions in inventory now at retailers were probably bought when the exchange rate was in the 40s. This puts the vendors in a difficult position. If they sell at prices based on the current exchange rate they will "take a bath". On the other hand, they aren't going to do a booming business at those prices. A likely scenario is that certain prices will stay high for a while, hoping that those who can afford it, or simply aren't willing to wait will pay them. then the reality of cash flow requirements will set in and they will lower the prices to sell the goods.

The fact that some prices may have actually gone up since the exchange rate has dropped may also be a reflection of the vendor's inventory situation. If he had TVs purchased before the spike in the exchange rate, they could/would continue to sell them for the lower price until they were gone.

This does not explain why prices on some things which would appear to be totally domestic appear to have gone up as well. Eggs, anyone?

I remain the eternal optomist, and trust that if the exchange rate stabilizes, prices will find their proper level. Of course, that's easy for me to say here in the US, while you have to deal with it now. I'm hoping I'll get lucky and things will have sorted themselves out before I make the move.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast