Bar on El Conde

TJVR

Jan 25, 2003
Many years ago I used to frequent a bar on El Conde in Santo Domingo, and I would like to know if it is still in existence. I don't remember the name, but it was situated about one-half of the way down on El Conde, on the north side, was classy and very reminiscent of the 1940s/1950s. Many a fine weekend afternoons were spent there. Since I plan to visit again soon, I would like to know the name and if this establishment is still around. Thanks to all.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Could it have been La Cafetera del Conde? More a cafeteria than a bar but the only one I can think of on the Conde that is close to your description.

TJVR

Jan 25, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Could it have been La Cafetera del Conde? More a cafeteria than a bar but the only one I can think of on the Conde that is close to your description.

Sorry, that name does not ring a bell at all. This place reminded me (at the time in the early 80s) of the type of place Humphrey Bogart might be seen in. Any other suggestions ???

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Perhaps its the bar in the lobby of the Mercure Hotel?

2974v00.gif

TJVR

Jan 25, 2003
NY1 said:

2974v00.gif

Don't remember it being on a street corner, but rather in the middle of a block. Was the Mercure Hotel called something different 20 years ago ???

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
NY1 said:

I doubt it, thats only a few years old, if that.

"Many years ago I used to frequent a bar on El Conde in Santo Domingo".

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
How many years ago, roughly

TJVR said:
Many years ago I used to frequent a bar on El Conde in Santo Domingo, and I would like to know if it is still in existence. I don't remember the name, but it was situated about one-half of the way down on El Conde, on the north side, was classy and very reminiscent of the 1940s/1950s. Many a fine weekend afternoons were spent there. Since I plan to visit again soon, I would like to know the name and if this establishment is still around. Thanks to all.

there is are two bars left on the north side not counting the Mecure, one has slot machines on the west end, and another one close to it has kind of a cafe
also the old coffee shop which does serve sandwiches, the coffee shop is the oonly one in the middle. maybe this is what your thinking of its been there the longest