MLB 2005 Spring training games in the Capital

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
MLB is scheduling some 2005 spring training games in S.D.

I guess they didn't learn their lesson a few years back when it was rather empty at Quisqueya in 2000. Hopefully the turnout will be a bit better this time.

The tickets were rather expensive back then, can't imagine they'll be any cheaper this time around.

One rather funny excerpt "President Leonel Fernandez said the government might approve a $75 million project to build a modern stadium in the center of the capital".

No money for electricity, a sewage system or clean drinking water, but 75 LARGE for a ball field.

Ay dios mio!

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaawx

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Cleef said:
MLB is scheduling some 2005 spring training games in S.D.

I guess they didn't learn their lesson a few years back when it was rather empty at Quisqueya in 2000. Hopefully the turnout will be a bit better this time.

The tickets were rather expensive back then, can't imagine they'll be any cheaper this time around.

One rather funny excerpt "President Leonel Fernandez said the government might approve a $75 million project to build a modern stadium in the center of the capital".

No money for electricity, a sewage system or clean drinking water, but 75 LARGE for a ball field.

Ay dios mio!

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaawx

Leonel is Dreaming , him and the administrtion have to worrie about more important things .I see it pointless for the MLB to scheduale games in Dr becuase the tickets are gonna be way too expensive , a little too expensive for the average Dominican,hence not too many people are gonna go

NubeLuz

Jul 23, 2004
This is really sad ...

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
"Major League Baseball is a great friend of the Dominican people"

If MLB is such a great friend, then THEY should foot a good chunk of the bill.

They may "inject" $70 REAL LARGE annually, (i'd love to see the line items on that spread sheet) but they reap far more than they reward.

Not a news flash, but this will never happen. It's some good PR and that's about it.

There is nothing wrong with Quisqueya, and the locals would never ever buy into the MLB in the DR. The winter league and the laundry they love so dearly is more than enough to satiate their baseball appetite.

I hope the Saaaaaaaaaaawx do bring down the trophy and show it around to the people, but like so often happens, it will be a quick photo shoot at SDQ with all the camera hungry gov' officials and that will be it.

Manny and Ortiz are in Japan for another week, so it won't be anytime soon.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
AP Reporting

"No sooner did Major League Baseball announce it would play exhibition games in the Dominican Republic in spring training than a Sox official joked, "We're already packing our bags." Though MLB has yet to announce the teams that will be involved, the Sox expect to be one of them. The Sox have ranked among the most popular major league teams in the Dominican because of Martinez, Manny Ramirez, and David Ortiz, and they were the last major league team to play exhibition games in the Dominican, when they faced the Astros in 2000."