Important Notice Re: Malaria - Please Read.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
As of November 24, 2004 the CDC recommends Malaria Prophylaxis for travel to all areas in La Altagracia province, including the Punta Cana area, and also to all areas of Duarte province in the Dominican Republic.

A small number of cases have been reported and this is precautionary in nature.

See:
www.cdc.gov/travel/other/malaria_dr_2004.htm

There is a current discussion thread on the subject at Debbie's Dominican Travel Forums.

See:
http://debsdrtravels.proboards35.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1101760270

F.Y.I.

Gregg

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Too bad the CDC didn't say if it was chloroquine resistant or not since you have to take the right drugs to prevent the particular strain. Note the Altagracia province means Punta Cana. This can't be good news for that area.

David Dempsey

Jul 3, 2004
malaria and chloroquine

Malaria in the Caribbean is not chloroquine-resistant, not in Haiti and not in the Monte Cristi area where the few Dominican cases usually take place.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The best prevention is to avoid getting bitten. Thus using insect repellent containing DEET.

With over 1.3 million tourists traveling to Punta Cana and only two reported cases, the chances of getting bitten are slim. You can make them even smaller by using insect repellent.

In the Dominican Republic physicians will only very rarely recommend a residents to take chloroquine. I have never heard of such a recommendation.

See http://www.dr1.com/news/2004/120304_malaria.shtml

Last edited:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
This is a hot topic

on Debbie's Dominican Travel Forums where Hlywud and I are the Moderators and on TripAdvisor.

In case anyone thinks this is not serious, economically, vacationing tourists are switching vacations from Punta Cana to Cuba and the Mayan Riviera area of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. This will cost the DR money if it is ignored. Even more potentially damaging is the possible effect on the reputation of the DR as a tourist destination. The DR had better do whatever it can to cut down on the potential hysteria.

The last I heard on this evolving story is that they were up to 13+ cases and some had not left the resorts during their stays. They were distributed from what is referred to as Punta Cana to Bavaro.

Gregg

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Any suggestions before going down? Gets shots, see doctor? Can the tablets be bought over the counter?

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
Any suggestions before going down? Gets shots, see doctor?

To prevent it, you take 500 Mg. Chloroquine a week before you go, then the day you arrive then weekly on the same day , and for four weeks after you leave. So for a week long vacation, you get 6 doses, take one say Saturday before you go, on the Saturday you arrive, the Saturday you leave and then 3 more Saturdays. It is dirt cheap.

Also use DEET and other mosquito prevention measures.

I take it when I go to Nicaragua.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks Rick. Can they be bought over the counter or do we need a presciption for them?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The tourism offices abroad have been instructed to meet with the airlines and tour operators and the press to provide updates on the situation. Personally, I would not take chloroquine but rather use a repellent if taking an excursion. I understand that taking this after is easier on the body than taking it as prophylaxis. To me it doesn't make sense because the chances of one getting malaria are very very minute. That is there is no alert out to Dominicans or foreign residents to take it as prophylaxis, regardless where they live, even on the border with Haiti.

Bottom line, if the mosquito doesn't bite you, it can't infect you. CDC says:

Protect yourself from mosquito bites:
Pay special attention to mosquito protection between dusk and dawn. This is when the type of mosquito whose bite transmits malaria is active.
Wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and hats.
Use insect repellents that contain DEET (diethylmethyltoluamide).

To understand malaria in perspective, see http://www.dr1.com/news/2004/120304_malaria.shtml

Last edited:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
For the information of all concerned, and the Canadian traveller in particular, here is what the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has to say about the recent malaria outbreak in the DR:

www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/2004/mal_dr1202_e.html

Dolores, with respect, the PHAC recommendation is "that Canadians traveling to resort areas in the province of La Altagracia take malaria prophylaxis (medication) and use personal insect protective measures against mosquito bites". Further the prophylaxis of choice is as follows: "Chloroquine is the malaria drug of choice for the Dominican Republic . Alternatively, atovaquone / proguanil (malarone), doxycycline and mefloquine can be used."

FYI

Gregg

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
FireGuy said:
on Debbie's Dominican Travel Forums where Hlywud and I are the Moderators and on TripAdvisor.

In case anyone thinks this is not serious, economically, vacationing tourists are switching vacations from Punta Cana to Cuba and the Mayan Riviera area of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. This will cost the DR money if it is ignored. Even more potentially damaging is the possible effect on the reputation of the DR as a tourist destination. The DR had better do whatever it can to cut down on the potential hysteria.

The last I heard on this evolving story is that they were up to 13+ cases and some had not left the resorts during their stays. They were distributed from what is referred to as Punta Cana to Bavaro.

Gregg

Interesting they are changing to Mexico. The last time I checked, there are recommendations for people to take preventive measures against Malaria if you are travelling to Mexico.

Actually, anywhere in Latin America with tropical climate you need to take preventive measures against Malaria.

In the Caribbean, only Hispaniola gets significant reports of malaria cases a year, and the overwhelming majority of the cases are in Haiti. The DR gets a small outbreak here and there after major hurricanes and after the rainy season. The vast majority of the cases in the DR are reported in the rural areas, especially along the Haitian border, the marshes of Los Haitises National Park and the current outbreak in certain sections of Punta Cana (the Barcelo Hotel complex is smacked in the middle of it).

Malaria cases are even reported in South Florida (mostly people who have gone into the everglades and other rural areas in the southern part of the peninsula), but the numbers of people getting malaria are so low, its almost non-existant. Again, outbreaks in Florida occur after hurricanes and rainy season, and this year there has been a notable increase of malaria cases in south Florida.

People need to learn a bit about the world before taking actions. Switching vacations from DR to Mexico because of Malaria is dumb, since they are still going to be in it!

Also, if you have sickle cell anemia, you don't need to worry too much about Malaria. Sickle cell anemia is common in people who live in Malarial regions, its a form of protection the body creates against the Malaria virus.

In the US people think that sickle cell anemia is a black people disease, that is of course bull. Whites who grew up in the south in regions where Malaria was common up until a few years ago, many of those folks also have sickle cell anemia. And in Africa, Africans who live in malarial regions have it, but those who live in higher plateus where the malarial mosquito doesn't live, they don't have the anemia.

Nov 5, 2004
FireGuy said:
As of November 24, 2004 the CDC recommends Malaria Prophylaxis for travel to all areas in La Altagracia province, including the Punta Cana area, and also to all areas of Duarte province in the Dominican Republic.

Ok..I should probably know this, but what area is the Duarte province?
From what I have read about Malaria I hear it is in the Altagracia area (Punta Cana) as well as along the Hatian border.

Does anyone know if this include the Luperon area? I am going to be going there in December..as well as February...and have been told I should get the "malaria shot" by my travel agent.

But I was also told there are very serious side affects to the malaria shot..such as loosing vision!!! Is this true? Anyone know anything about this?

My parents told me when they went to Pakistan..they just took the pills for malaria..not the shot (they said they had never actually heard of a shot for malaria). They also said that they, or no one they knew ever got sick, or ever had ANY side effects from this malaria pill.

So..can anyone let me know what is what?? lol...
Thanks !! :)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
PeachezNcream84 said:
Ok..I should probably know this, but what area is the Duarte province?
From what I have read about Malaria I hear it is in the Altagracia area (Punta Cana) as well as along the Hatian border.

Does anyone know if this include the Luperon area? I am going to be going there in December..as well as February...and have been told I should get the "malaria shot" by my travel agent.

But I was also told there are very serious side affects to the malaria shot..such as loosing vision!!! Is this true? Anyone know anything about this?

My parents told me when they went to Pakistan..they just took the pills for malaria..not the shot (they said they had never actually heard of a shot for malaria). They also said that they, or no one they knew ever got sick, or ever had ANY side effects from this malaria pill.

So..can anyone let me know what is what?? lol...
Thanks !! :)
Duarte Province is where San Francisco de Macoris (note: Not San Pedro de Macoris) is located. The province is mostly agrarian and not on the tourist map of any kind.

The province is right next to Los Haitises National Parks and its mangroves and swamps the Malarial mosquitos have been known to live there.

Listen, the risk is minimal to get the disease. Something like 13 people have come up with the disease. Keep in mind that there are around 8 million people in this country and at any given time there can be a few 100,000 to 500,000 tourists in this country at the same time. 13 people out of so many people is really not much.

As with everything, it sucks if you are one of those 13 people, but then again, the chances are so low that you will most likely not be one and most of the people you will meet will not be a victim of the disease either!

You have a greater chance of catching a cold (or getting Montezumas revenge) rather than getting Malaria.

People love to blow things out of proportion. Sure, it must be reported, but only for informative reasons, not to cause a nervous breakdown when its really not needed!

Nov 5, 2004
Nal0whs said:
People love to blow things out of proportion. Sure, it must be reported, but only for informative reasons, not to cause a nervous breakdown when its really not needed!

Trust me..I know how much people love to blow things out of proportion. Especially tourists that can seem to find anything and everything wrong with such a beatiful country.

But to be on the safe side...I am asking about if there is a shot for malaria? What about the pills? What are these side effects I have been hearing about?

Is the area of Luperon considered a risk(on the North coast...but the west side of the North cost)?

I am not a "regular tourist". Depending on how long it takes all the visas to go through..I will probably be living in Luperon for awhile, which is another reason I would be concerned about this. I have been in Luperon for about 4 months. (I am now currently in Canada though...unfortunatly!)

Are there any medications, or preventatives avaliable to the locals? or does malaria not affect locals as it would foreigners..or do they really have an immunity towards it?

(sorry if any of my questions seem off base...this is the first i have really heard or thought about malaria...)

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
FireGuy said:
Prescription - at least in Canada.

Gregg

The dispensing fee is like $12 and the 12 pills cost about 80 cents. If you plan to go a lot, tell your doctor to prescribe a few dozen to last a few trips. Take religiously or they won't work.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Trust me..I know how much people love to blow things out of proportion. Especially tourists that can seem to find anything and everything wrong with such a beatiful country.
This is the type of foreigner we need, someone who can think for himself!

Welcome to the DR in advance!

But to be on the safe side...I am asking about if there is a shot for malaria? What about the pills? What are these side effects I have been hearing about?
There are some pills (they are huge from what I have heard). There is also a shot available. I really don't know about the side effects, nothing have ever happened to me. I usually take a shot when I head out of Santo Domingo into the countryside and an outbreak is in the area I am going.

Having said that, I don't do it often.

Some people in my family have the anemia, I am only a carrier.

Is the area of Luperon considered a risk(on the North coast...but the west side of the North cost)?
Nope, the entire northcoast tends to not have many mosquitos, from what I have noticed. I guess it has to do with the windy nature of much of the coast, they do get the trade winds head on there.

Are there any medications, or preventatives avaliable to the locals? or does malaria not affect locals as it would foreigners..or do they really have an immunity towards it?
Because most people here don't go to doctors regularly, its hard to tell who has immunity and who doesn't. Generally, it would make sense to expect immunity to be in those folks native to areas with swamps and along the haitian border. Most Dominicans who get Malaria tend to be Dominicans who go from the city to the countryside or from less risky areas to more risky areas.

(sorry if any of my questions seem off base...this is the first i have really heard or thought about malaria...)
None were off base and that is expect.

At least you are not freakin out like so many other tourist do!

Nov 5, 2004
Nal0whs said:
This is the type of foreigner we need, someone who can think for himself!

Welcome to the DR in advance!
Thank you! I would just like to mention I am a "herself". ;)

I am engaged to a Dominican, and have been to Dominican quite frequently, and we eventually plan to live in Luperon. Depending on how long it takes the visa to go through, I may be moving to DR around the end of next year.

And I like to tell people "yo soy Dominicana, yo no es gringa", but for some reason they don't seem to believe me. They usualy have a good laugh.I have come to think maybe it is because of my english accent when I (try to) speak spanish, or the fact that when I am in DR my skin is either blindingly white or bright red!!!

Nope, the entire northcoast tends to not have many mosquitos, from what I have noticed. I guess it has to do with the windy nature of much of the coast, they do get the trade winds head on there.

Maybe Luperon is different from most of the north coast?
Or maybe I attract even more mosquitos then I do Dominican men! lol...after my first evening of any and every time I have been to DR..I can usually count at least 10-20 mosquito bites of my legs! My legs get it the worse..but I will get Dominican mosquito bites on every part of my body (don't ask!!) within the first 3 days of any given trip. (for some reason Dominican mosquitos bites swell A HUUUUGE amount on me...nothing like the Canadian suckers I get!)

If for some reason Dominican mosquitos seem to like me so much...would this be a reason to take extra precautions?? or they deffinatly do not have malaria mosquito carriers on the North coast?

Because most people here don't go to doctors regularly, its hard to tell who has immunity and who doesn't. Generally, it would make sense to expect immunity to be in those folks native to areas with swamps and along the haitian border. Most Dominicans who get Malaria tend to be Dominicans who go from the city to the countryside or from less risky areas to more risky areas.

I was just wondering if there is anything I can suggest to my fiancee and his family to take as precautions? Since I am not sure if they will be aware (or even concerned) with this problem.

At least you are not freakin out like so many other tourist do!

I don't freak out at too much...but it really is amazing some of the non existant problems these people can come up with in resorts. I personally, have only stayed on a resort in Dominican once, and it was absolutly beatiful..although "only" considered a 3 star. And even on my first trip, before I had lived in the DR "off-resort" I couldn't believe some of the complaints these people could come up with.
You must give them credit...they are either very creative, or on some really good drugs.

Nov 5, 2004
p.s. some one should make a thread on some of the halairious complaints tourists make up about some perfectly good resorts. Or has this already been done on DR1?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Nal0whs, no one here is saying that the sky is falling, you just are interpreting it that way.

Nothing I have posted is designed to illicit an emotional response from anyone - only inform. If you wish to ignore the potential impact on the DR tourism industry; well I can only thank God that you are not the Minister of that department. I wish only good things for the DR's tourist industry but ignoring the potential impact of a fickle clientele is not the way to grow the industry. It is a recipe for disaster. Confidence is hard to earn and harder to keep and nearly impossible to win back.

I didn't bring up local cases of this disease as I am sure this information would shock many tourists. Niether did I bring up postings of relatives of Canadian malaria victims for the same reason. The tourists would be extremely concerned to learn how serious the P. falciparum type of malaria actually can be. FYI this is the type which has been confirmed in at least four of the Canadian cases.

No, Nal0whs, I guess I am not "type of foreigner" that YOU would like to see in the DR. I only counsel hundreds and hundreds (we actually have over 3000 registered members on Debbie's and over 2000 registered members on Rusty's) of tourists and potential tourists about the beauty of the country and the sincerety and pleasentness of most of the Dominican people. I have in excess of 500 posts on this board and I dare you to find any which disparage the DR; except for universal evils such as litter, customs scams, etc. And if that bothers you; oh well.

Just because malaria is endemic in the DR is not an excuse to marginalize the concerns of tourists who are not used to dealing with this disease on a day to day basis. It is a scary disease and what is important economically is for the DR government to meet the challenges necessary to control the outbreak and infiorm the travelling public that it is under control. If they do nothing or appear to do nothing they risk having roumours and falsehoods fill the void. At present they appear to be doing nothing. Dolores has told me of some initiatives by the tourism officials in Canada and elsewhere - we will see how they come across in the media.

Ok, I'm finished my rant Nal0whs. Here are your rose coloured glasses. Put them back on. There really is no malaria scare. No tourists are requesting malaria prophylaxis medicine. No one is changing destinations. No one is cancelling vacations. The government is doing a great job. Have a nice day.

Gregg