Hotel Rolling Stone in Boca chica-anyone ever stay there?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Need a place to stay for the Christmas/New year holidays. I have heard that the Zapata and El Candil were good places, but what about Hotel Rolling Stone? It seems rather cheap and right on the beach(or so it says ion their website). Anyone know of this place and have stayed there recently? Thanks in advance.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Hotel Que?

Can you post the link to their site? I have been in Boca Chica 100 times and never heard of this place. On the beach there are AFAIK, Europa ( not really on the beach) , Zapata, Don Juan (AI), and Don Emilio (the newest one).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This place used to be the old Boat Bar many years ago. Then the owner (Lawrence) converted it into a bar downstairs, 2 apartments upstairs and an office for his business. The last time I was in their was 2 years ago and nothing had changed. I guess they re-modeled and added a few rooms. If it's still owned by Lawrence, then I'm sure they did a good job and is an ok place to stay. By the way, Lawrence still owns the new Boat Bar as far as I know.

Rolling Stone is located east of Portafinos (now closed). Ask Peter or Fleming at Playa Vista, they know the ?old? owners and the exact location.

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
Never seen this place

Robert said:
This place used to be the old Boat Bar many years ago. Then the owner (Lawrence) converted it into a bar downstairs, 2 apartments upstairs and an office for his business. The last time I was in their was 2 years ago and nothing had changed. I guess they re-modeled and added a few rooms. If it's still owned by Lawrence, then I'm sure they did a good job and is an ok place to stay. By the way, Lawrence still owns the new Boat Bar as far as I know.

Rolling Stone is located east of Portafinos (now closed). Ask Peter or Fleming at Playa Vista, they know the ?old? owners and the exact location.
I am familiar with the Boathouse restaurant, near Italy Italy, but I sure don't remember seeing or hearing of a Hotel Rolling Stone anywhere near there, if I am in the right geographical location.A very well kept secret...until now, i suppose.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
That no A/C suite for $75 is grossly overpriced since you can get two A/C rooms for $60. That is a lot for Boca Cica anywhere.

Campesino

May 18, 2002
Rolling Stone is...

This is the first bar/restaurant on the beach as you come down Calle Caracol, past Hamaca and arrive on Duarte St. Located on the beach directly in front of the two italian restaurants, one is Itali Itali, cant remember the other. This was originally named St. Tropez, owned and operated by a man from France, named Jean Michelle. In the old days it was a massive hangout for the upscale folks from SDQ. Now they are found in Neptunos, or Boca Marina. Then purchased by a french Canadian, Danny. Now a few years ago it passed hands once again. Seen the place in June and it wasent to tidy or busy. Dont know about the rooms. It is in a good location if you want to use it as a base, however this is also the narrowest part of the beach, may find yourself walking to the right and sit in the general area of Hotel Don Juan, which is the best area of Boca Chica, as far as the beach goes. They have a Diving center on site run by a Geman. Check it out, can always ask for a better price.

Campesino

Daniel W.

Jan 20, 2003
Denny Turpin, the French Canadian mentioned, never owned the building; he rented the downstairs area from the new owners, who purchased the property in 1995. There is now a French restaurant there, which does very well. The dive center area is rented out by Marcos, who is Austrian.

As everything else in the DR, prices at the Rolling Stone can be negotiated.