Dollars vs Pesos

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
Which is mostly recommended; to pay for things in U.S. currency or their local currency?

Anj

Nov 21, 2004
Pesos!

Hi! As a CDN traveller, I hate converting twice (to US then to Pesos). I now buy Pesos right from the bank before I travel. It's SO much easier to convert.... I also find that people are happier to recieve pesos and listen to my crappy Spanish. I guess it's a case of when in Rome.... I think everyone appreciates it when you try to blend in. As a CDN I HATE seeing US cash in my country...... CANADA has a currency...so does DR. Pesos are great.

hope that helps...

Andrea

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Anj said:
Hi! As a CDN traveller, I hate converting twice (to US then to Pesos). I now buy Pesos right from the bank before I travel. It's SO much easier to convert.... I also find that people are happier to recieve pesos and listen to my crappy Spanish. I guess it's a case of when in Rome.... I think everyone appreciates it when you try to blend in. As a CDN I HATE seeing US cash in my country...... CANADA has a currency...so does DR. Pesos are great.

hope that helps...

Andrea

As a person also in Canada who has been to the DR 40 times this is terrible advice. Buy US and use it to buy pesos on arrival. The rates and fees in Canada prior to travelling are horrendous and totally eliminate what you think you save by avoiding US as the intermediate currency. Whether you like US or not, buying pesos before you go when there are fair rate cambios on arrival in all the DR airports, and in every town of more than 100 people, this is just inadvisable.