A review of the week in the DR

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
13 Dec 04 Listin Diario reports that all the hospitals have been reporting only 50% of all deaths and births to the Civil Registry for a number of years. Geeeee how accurate is the census here and AIDS reports etc.?
14 Dec 04 Listin Diario- the hospitals responded by saying that the majority of the women having babies don?t have proof that they are in fact Dominican. The last time I looked the law says that if you are born in the DR, regardless of the nationality of your parents, you are in fact Dominican as it is in the USA.
15 Dec 04 Listin Diario ? Everyone wants to go after the culprits that sold all those false documents in the Civil Registry but nobody seems to want to go after the DA?s that didn?t do their 2 semi-annual inspections. Prosecutor Dalmasi reported the existence of irregularities back in June 2002. Surprise, surprise, surprise!!!!
16 Dec 04 Listin Diario did an on site interview at a few Civil Registries and found the ledgers in shambles, falling apart, in pieces and held together by paperclips, rubber bands etc. Workers working without A/C or fans or sufficient office furniture and the government doesn?t pay these workers, they get paid from the monies generated by the selling of their services rendered.(footnote) There was no mention of a shortage of workers nor an over abundance of same. It wouldn?t surprise me if there is in fact an over abundance of workers and probably related to each other. Duh, lath week I can?t spill brain surgeon and now I are one!!
17 Dec 04 Today Listin Diario reports that 1,185 people died due to vehicular accidents in the last 11 months. How could they possible know how many died? See 13 Dec report. Ahhhh the president of the JCE admits that the Civil Registries are in bad shape and he suggests the obligation of funds for the automation of said registries. Say what? The use of computers to replace these ledgers that have been used for so many years? In the year 2004? Are computers reliable and are they better then ledgers? It surprises me that they aren?t chiselling the data onto granite slates. You know, like Fred Flintstone. :eek:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Rick Snyder said:
14 Dec 04 Listin Diario- the hospitals responded by saying that the majority of the women having babies don?t have proof that they are in fact Dominican. The last time I looked the law says that if you are born in the DR, regardless of the nationality of your parents, you are in fact Dominican as it is in the USA.
You should look again. The constitution was changed IIRC.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Sorry Pib

Is there a change newer then this?

Votada y proclamada por la Asamblea Nacional
en fecha 20 de julio de 2002.

LA ASAMBLEA NACIONAL
EN NOMBRE DE LA REPUBLICA
Constituida en Asamblea Revisora de la Constituci?n,
declara en vigor el siguiente texto de la

CONSTITUCION DE LA REPUBLICA DOMINICANA
T I T U L O III
DERECHOS POLITICOS
SECCION I
DE LA NACIONALIDAD

ART.11.- Son dominicanos:

1. Todas las personas que nacieren en el territorio de la Rep?blica, con excepci?n de los hijos leg?timos de los extranjeros residentes en el pa?s en representaci?n diplom?tica o los que est?n de tr?nsito en ?l.

If so then I stand corrected. :nervous:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
You could be right. I remember that I read somewhere that provisions were made to make sure that only legal residents and dominicans with documents could register their children. I think Fabio commented on that but a quick search brought nothing. In the meantime I concede the point.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I don't believe one word or statistic relating to the Dominican Republic. I have laughed at all the Aides statistics forever. They couldn't figure out how to wipe their butts correctly let alone count something.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The right hand not watching the left

Pib, having watched this government in action for the last 8 years it is very possible that they have derogatedfrom the constitution and applied such a provision but if so then I believe it is an untenable provision at best. But then again this is the DR. ;)

Escott I think you are correct if we are to believe any portion of what is printed in the newspaper and this is the government owned one right. Of course the story was followed by the others also. If the figures are so inaccurate then it isn't the newspapers furnishing the propaganda it's the hospitals. :eek:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Don't worry, everything has changed now. Fernandez announced last week that all government systems are being digitized. That was a few days after he said that he was going to eliminate corruption.