DR no longer cheap?

dr5555

May 28, 2004
With a rate of 29pesos / dollar, is the DR still cheap? I thought about investing in the DR about 6 month. The investment would have gained +70% only because of the exchange rate.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
No DR is expensive as HELL. My meals were $6-$7 and now $15 for dinner. That sucks. Taxis want $$7 to go from supermarket to my apartment and its a 4 minute drive. I was forced to have Thanksgiving dinner in my apartment and 15 people came by. It was a party! I saved myself about $50 that way.

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I just got back from three weeks in Cabarete and the prices seem to have doubled or tripled at the restaurants. The last time I was there was last March. It is cheaper to live in the US or Saint Martin ( except for RE prices)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The ONLY time I found the DR "Cheap",was 18 years ago!

Starting about 10 years ago the trend was "UP" as far as prices were concerned! Then 5 years ago the $hit hit the fan! And in the last year,"Forget About It"!! I am thinking of taking the whole family (4 Kids,My Wife,and I)back to Boston!Free education,and health care,and much cheaper food costs, will make it cheaper there!! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

HJVERA

Mar 27, 2004
www.hjvera.com
Prices...yuck!

There are crazy! What are the heads or the government(S) thinking these days...central banks, our own US gov't, and the owners of many of the once so tourist friendly places? Many claim "yes, but the dollar is bad now so we had to raise the prices...etc." what BS! 90% of them act as if they buy there crap in dollars or the cows eat in dollars, etc. Nothing but greed! Prices have gone up at such a bad time and the people respnosible for this have no one to blame but themselves...whoever started raising prices way back when we saw 54 to 1 is a fool and everyone else who followed in there steps are also to blame. What a vicious cycle it has been.

Last edited:

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
HJVERA said:
There are crazy! What are the heads or the government(S) thinking these days...central banks, our own US gov't, and the owners of many of the once so tourist friendly places? Many claim "yes, but the dollar is bad now so we had to raise the prices...etc." what BS! 90% of them act as if they buy there crap in dollars or the cows eat in dollars, etc. Nothing but greed! Prices have gone up at such a bad time and the people respnosible for this have no one to blame but themselves...whoever starting raising prices way back when we saw 54 to 1 is a fool and everyone else who followed in there steps are also to blame. What a vicious cycle it has been.

Many will be out of business by the Spring. SAD!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
jerryme said:
I just got back from three weeks in Cabarete and the prices seem to have doubled or tripled at the restaurants. The last time I was there was last March. It is cheaper to live in the US or Saint Martin ( except for RE prices)

At O Shays on the beach, my lunch was $16. Never again.

mharshman

Sep 23, 2003
Criss Colon said:
Starting about 10 years ago the trend was "UP" as far as prices were concerned! Then 5 years ago the $hit hit the fan! And in the last year,"Forget About It"!! I am thinking of taking the whole family (4 Kids,My Wife,and I)back to Boston!Free education,and health care,and much cheaper food costs, will make it cheaper there!! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Absolutely right on. Having recently gone to other Islands that have all the services I found the cost of living considerable less and the basic services LUZ functionable. St Thomas electricity costs 75% less and they have lights 24/7. Imported food costs 60% less and the prices in Restaurants the same but the quality far superior. I do not think the DR wants anymore foreigners here other than in a all inclusive enviorment.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Caberate is a lot more expensive these days. We only go there if we take an ice chest full of food and drink and then return home before dark. Used to go and stay three nights.

The mentality here is not to get volume business...it is to charge the highest prices possible to the business that walks through your door. They don't care if you don't come back. They just want to get your money one time.

Another thing is that, at least for Caberate, it has seen a lot more interest from tourist lately and that drives prices up as demand outweighs supply. I think this may be a sign of the future for Caberate. Don't expect Caberate to change any time soon.

You can live in other parts of the country much less expensive. Only problem is you may not have the beach at your back door.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
$5.51 for a bottle of Corona

La Classico, Sosua charges 160 pesos for a bottle of Corona; thats $5.51 at 29 pesos to a dollar! I am an American so I can say this; "blame the wacked out Americans that come down here and over pay for everything from sex to food". I knew the Americans would be coming down here more then 5 years ago and I knew this was going to happen. Meanwhile, there is a feast going on and your buck is on the table!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
DominicanScotty said:
La Classico, Sosua charges 160 pesos for a bottle of Corona; thats $5.51 at 29 pesos to a dollar! I am an American so I can say this; "blame the wacked out Americans that come down here and over pay for everything from sex to food". I knew the Americans would be coming down here more then 5 years ago and I knew this was going to happen. Meanwhile, there is a feast going on and your buck is on the table!

I think its more like the peso going from 50 to 27 in a few weeks.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Put things a little in perspective. Yes, meals out and tourist type stuff is expensive... hellishly so. A week ago, we paid US100 for a meal for three at my favorite restaurant in Cabarete - La Casita... (Papy's). This included two glasses of wine and no other alcohol. My need for frequent top-ops of Papy's camarones need to be tamed now as I cannot afford this as regularly as before, when it was 40 bucks for a meal for four. Jose O'Sheas in Cabarete has been boycotted by the locals for more than a year now because of the outrageous prices.

But, today I had to buy some medication for my granddaughter who developed a fever and a tight chest. An antibiotic, fever reducer and congestion reliever cost RD$ 240 - At 29, that is around 8 bucks... I thought it was very reasonable.

When you're in the DR, drink Presidente. If you drink Corona, you'll pay....

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Chris said:
Put things a little in perspective. Yes, meals out and tourist type stuff is expensive... hellishly so. A week ago, we paid US100 for a meal for three at my favorite restaurant in Cabarete - La Casita... (Papy's). This included two glasses of wine and no other alcohol. My need for frequent top-ops of Papy's camarones need to be tamed now as I cannot afford this as regularly as before, when it was 40 bucks for a meal for four. Jose O'Sheas in Cabarete has been boycotted by the locals for more than a year now because of the outrageous prices.

But, today I had to buy some medication for my granddaughter who developed a fever and a tight chest. An antibiotic, fever reducer and congestion reliever cost RD$ 240 - At 29, that is around 8 bucks... I thought it was very reasonable.

But Casitas is a good place for $100 and the crappy places are about $75.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Chris said:

My note about the Corona was directed at a group of tourists that thought drinking Corona at 160 pesos a pop was going to impress somebody. As for myself, I live there and I know about the Presidente prices vs the "imports". Thanks anyway, but I know!