Children and heart problems in the DR

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
I was wondering why so many children in the DR have heart problems. My fiance's son had some sort of an episode over the weekend and was taken to a hospital in Santo Domingo. He was diagnosed with a mild heart condition. The doctor stated that with proper treatment and rest, he will recover without surgery (Thank God). This is not the first time I have heard of small children with heart related illnesses in the DR. I met two other people who have children with heart problems. Is this some fluke or is there some environmental link that is causing problems for so many children? Is it possible that the doctors are not giving proper diagnosis because they have no other answers?

BTW - before someone makes a comment about my fiance only telling me this because he wants money from me, let me say that this was not an attempt to play the "sick relative" story. He has not asked for a dime. My fiance only wanted comfort and to keep me informed as I love his son very much.

Thanks in advance for any information.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Rheumatic Fever is not uncommon in the DR. This virus caused disease often leads to heart problems. Poor hygene and crowded living conditions combined with little money and less knowledge contribute to this problem. I know several small children in the DR with heart problems due to this illness. Well it certainly isn't an epidemic, it is a common problem in tropical countries.

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
Thanks!

Bob,
Thanks for the information. That does make a lot fo sense and provides me with information to ask more informative questions.

Thanks again.