Cigars for purchase???

lowplainsdrifte

Jan 3, 2005
Questions about purchasing cigars in the DR for taking back to the US:

(Let me preface by saying that this is NOT a question about how to
disguise Cubans as other cigars for smuggling)

1. Which is the best shop in Santiago or Santo Domingo to buy them at?
2. How does one pack them for transit?
3. Is it possible to bring them back for resale? In other
words, can a person buy a certain importable quantity,
and sell them in the US to make some profit?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depends on who you know.

Santiago is the heart of the cigar business and 9 out of the ten largest houses are located in or near Santiago.

As for your question. You will run a risk. You are allowed to take back 50 cigars of any type. You can mail yourself 50 cigars but it will cost you about $40. That make 100 cigars. If you have someone travelling with you you can take back another 50.

How much can you expect to make from 150 cigars? Especially since you cannot get any Arturo Fuente product here and very little of the other major houses at prices near NYC wholesale or JR cigars prices.

If you want good cigars for your own consumption, all fine and good, I can certainly help you there, just send me a PM and we can talk. Otherwise, you had best try something else...

HB :D

P.S. I did not address the issues of packing and or the quantities because it probably is not relevent, is it?

lowplainsdrifte

Jan 3, 2005
>If you want good cigars for your own consumption, all fine and good, I can >certainly help you there, just send me a PM and we can talk. Otherwise, you >had best try something else...

Are there other trade goods I can purchase in the DR for resale that you
or anyone else could recommend?