information on cotui

samantha como

Jan 2, 2005
Hi everyone!
I'm taking my first trip to the DR this febuary with my boyfriend and were staying in his home town called Cotui. I was wondering if anyone knew of this town? If so i would appericiate any information or advise you could give me about it.

Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cotu?, a nice little town

In the middle of the country (not really, but it seems that way.) It is a purely Dominican city with not a whole lot to offer. I think that there may be a university branch there, and I am sure that they have a cable service.

The city is surrounded by agriculture, both rice and tobacco fields as well as fruit trees.

Not far away is the Rosario Gold Mine that is currently being studied for re-refining the trailings and more ore.

Outside of a few discos and the local park, I am not sure what there is to do over there. It will be a wake up call that is for sure. Make sure you bring mosquito repellant and something for an upset stomach, like Pepto or Lomotil

HB :D

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I lived in Cotui for six months several years ago and still visit from time to time. One of our regular posters, suarezn, is from there; you could look him up and sending him a private message if he doesn't post in this thread.

HB's hunches are right. There is a branch of one of the universities there, and access to cable TV. There isn't much going on in Cotui although there are a couple of lively nightspots. Nearby is a scenic artificial lake created by a dam, and there's a French owned hotel/restaurant which is the only decent place to stay in or around the town.

The town centre itself is noisy and not that attractive although there are some quieter streets that are pleasant to live in. The park (main square) is quite pretty. The countryside around Cotui is spectacular.

Possibly the best thing about the place - the people. I found them to be exceptionally hospitable and welcoming, even by Dominican standards. The friends I made there treated me like family from day one and continue doing so years later.

Perhaps you could ask some specific questions? I'll do my best to reply.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Samantha: As Chiri mentioned I'm originally from the Cotui area (La Mata to be specific). Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to give you some answers.

Chiri: Had no idea you lived in Cotui...Quite a surprise!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
cotuisana por adopcion

That was quick!

I lived in Cotui in 1999-2000 when I worked for the community agro-forestry project in La Zambrana. I've mentioned it once or twice before.

samantha como

Jan 2, 2005
thanks

suarezn said:
Samantha: As Chiri mentioned I'm originally from the Cotui area (La Mata to be specific). Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to give you some answers.

Chiri: Had no idea you lived in Cotui...Quite a surprise!!!

well basically my main question was if there was any warnings you could give me about the area. Frankly all I've heard about the DR is that its very dangerous for american woman and i was hoping to find out what to look out for while I'm there. Thank you very much for your help by the way.

samantha como

Jan 2, 2005
thanks

Hillbilly said:
In the middle of the country (not really, but it seems that way.) It is a purely Dominican city with not a whole lot to offer. I think that there may be a university branch there, and I am sure that they have a cable service.

The city is surrounded by agriculture, both rice and tobacco fields as well as fruit trees.

Not far away is the Rosario Gold Mine that is currently being studied for re-refining the trailings and more ore.

Outside of a few discos and the local park, I am not sure what there is to do over there. It will be a wake up call that is for sure. Make sure you bring mosquito repellant and something for an upset stomach, like Pepto or Lomotil

HB :D

Thank you very much for the info and I'll be sure to bring the material you suggested.

samantha como

Jan 2, 2005
Chirimoya said:
I lived in Cotui for six months several years ago and still visit from time to time. One of our regular posters, suarezn, is from there; you could look him up and sending him a private message if he doesn't post in this thread.

HB's hunches are right. There is a branch of one of the universities there, and access to cable TV. There isn't much going on in Cotui although there are a couple of lively nightspots. Nearby is a scenic artificial lake created by a dam, and there's a French owned hotel/restaurant which is the only decent place to stay in or around the town.

The town centre itself is noisy and not that attractive although there are some quieter streets that are pleasant to live in. The park (main square) is quite pretty. The countryside around Cotui is spectacular.

Possibly the best thing about the place - the people. I found them to be exceptionally hospitable and welcoming, even by Dominican standards. The friends I made there treated me like family from day one and continue doing so years later.

Perhaps you could ask some specific questions? I'll do my best to reply.

well basically my main question was if there was any warnings you could give me about the area. Frankly all I've heard about the DR is that its very dangerous for american woman and i was hoping to find out what to look out for while I'm there. Thank you very much for your help by the way.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Very dangerous for US women? I wouldn't say so. Yes, there is a certain amount of hassle you will get from men ('tigueres') but you should soon learn how to fend off unwanted attention. Strategies range from polite but firm to blanking them completely. Depending on the situation - just like anywhere else. If you are known to be the guest of a Dominican family, and the partner of a Dominican, you should get some automatic respect for that.

As a foreigner of any gender and nationality you are slightly more vulnerable to crime. Some people do assume that all foreigners have money, so it is best to act low key and not to flash the cash or expensive posessions if you have them. Behave in a way that is appropriate to the people you are living amongst.

I would say that the greatest danger compared to where you come from is the possibility of being in a traffic accident, because there are so many dangerous and irresponsible drivers. Again, there is a certain amount you can do to avoid becoming a victim.

If you don't already speak some Spanish, make sure you get yourself equipped with the basics of the language before you go. This will earn you respect and will ensure that you do not feel isolated when you are there.

Take the usual precautions about not going places you're not familiar with, especially on your own and after dark.

If in doubt about anything, ask your boyfriend and his family: they should be able to guide you on how to cope with the unfamiliar aspects of the culture.

Having said all that, if your boyfriend's family are typical Cotuisanos you should receive a warm welcome.

If you would like me to send you a couple of contact names and numbers of friends there, please send me a PM.

Enjoy your stay and don't forget to come back to DR1 and tell us all about it.

samantha como

Jan 2, 2005
Chirimoya said:
Very dangerous for US women? I wouldn't say so. Yes, there is a certain amount of hassle you will get from men ('tigueres') but you should soon learn how to fend off unwanted attention. Strategies range from polite but firm to blanking them completely. Depending on the situation - just like anywhere else. If you are known to be the guest of a Dominican family, and the partner of a Dominican, you should get some automatic respect for that.

As a foreigner of any gender and nationality you are slightly more vulnerable to crime. Some people do assume that all foreigners have money, so it is best to act low key and not to flash the cash or expensive posessions if you have them. Behave in a way that is appropriate to the people you are living amongst.

I would say that the greatest danger compared to where you come from is the possibility of being in a traffic accident, because there are so many dangerous and irresponsible drivers. Again, there is a certain amount you can do to avoid becoming a victim.

If you don't already speak some Spanish, make sure you get yourself equipped with the basics of the language before you go. This will earn you respect and will ensure that you do not feel isolated when you are there.

Take the usual precautions about not going places you're not familiar with, especially on your own and after dark.

If in doubt about anything, ask your boyfriend and his family: they should be able to guide you on how to cope with the unfamiliar aspects of the culture.

Having said all that, if your boyfriend's family are typical Cotuisanos you should receive a warm welcome.

If you would like me to send you a couple of contact names and numbers of friends there, please send me a PM.

Enjoy your stay and don't forget to come back to DR1 and tell us all about it.

Thank you so much for the info and advise. I feel much better about the trip now.I'm not sure how to do the pm thing so if you wouldnt mind telling me i would love to get the info on friends there. I'll also make sure update on the exprience.

samantha como

Jan 2, 2005
It is a true Dominican City

could some one please explain in more detail what "It is a true Dominican City" means?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Cotui is a typical Dominican town, not so much a city. It is a provincial capital so I suppose it is a city technically.

What's typical about it? The main road runs through the town, and is lined with shops, car repair workshops. Swarms of noisy motorbikes everywhere.

There's a 'multifamiliares' neighbourhood on the outskirts. The 'multis' are modern but fairly basic apartment blocks built by the Balaguer government to house (mainly) the party faithful. Colmados (grocery shops), hair salons and Bancas (betting shops) are the most common business. There are several car washes and discos.

Away from the main road you'll find a couple of better neighbourhoods with large villas. One is called Los Espa?oles, another is something like Los Mineros, built to house the workers from the Rosario gold mine. The rest of the town is made up of middle class and poorer neighbourhoods, almost all living in houses as opposed to apartments.

The most typical part of Cotui is the main square, known as 'el parque' with the cathedral on one side, and several restaurants, ice cream parlours and other such things surround it. Again, the buses, cars and especially motorbikes do their best to detract from the beauty of the park, which was re-done a couple of years ago and looks really good. Still, people use it as a place to meet and hang out in the evenings.

The river crossing outside the city is used as a beach by the locals. As you leave the town, you go past a couple of 'caba?as turisticas' which despite their names, do not cater for tourists. ;)

Carnival (Feb) and 'fiestas patronales' (not sure of the date, but later in the year) are a big occasion for the people of the town.

Got your PM, so you must have worked out how to do that one.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Chirimoya said:
Cotui is a typical Dominican town, not so much a city. It is a provincial capital so I suppose it is a city technically.

The river crossing outside the city is used as a beach by the locals. As you leave the town, you go past a couple of 'caba?as turisticas' which despite their names, do not cater for tourists. ;)

Good description of the town. Loved the comment about the 'caba?as turisticas'...very funny.