independent tourist profile

peteandtina

Dec 28, 2004
Hi
Have tried searching the archives but could not find what I needed, so can anyone point me in the right direction to find out the profile of independent holidaymakers to the DR. Do they come alone, in groups of 2, 4, or more?
This information would certainly help in deciding whether to buy 1 or 2 bedroom properties for holiday rental.

Thanks in advance
Pete and Tina

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cabarete

I have a very small B&B in Pro Cab, Cabarete and only advertise in one or two places but I do get a lot of enquiries from independent tourists.
My prices are such that I compete reasonably well with the AI package tour prices bt the independent tourist sometimes has to pay premium flight only costs just to get here on the charters from UK and Europe.
I am very choosy as to who I want in my B&B rooms as we do this more for fun than for the financial gains so I will not have certain nationalities or single people - just don't want sankies and hookers here scoping the place out!!!!
Generally I get enquiries from couples, some with children but mostly without. Lots of young guys call, normally looking for a sharing room for 2, but as I indicated above I am always full to these people. Plus they're normally looking for something a bit cheaper.
Have had a couple of enquiries from 2 to 3 young girls recently but again they generally want cheaper and the wife doesn't allow me to have them here whilst she's away? I wonder why?
I seem to have a larger clientele from middle aged couples who want the peace and quiet of my place but still within an easy stroll of the beach and the centre of Cabarete. I do get younger couples too.
Currently got a Swedish couple, late 30's - next week it's a Canadian couple, early 40's - followed by 3 Americans, a middle aged couple and another female.
I've had Brits, Canadians, Swiss, Americans, Swedes, Norwegians and a lot of different nationalities who are based in the Middle East (but that's becase I lived there for 15 years), so it's very varied.
With a more aggressive marketing approach I could be full for most of the time but choose to keep it selective and being very small it is not cost effective to pay out too much in advertising widely.
Holiday lets can be very lucrative around this area but I prefer to meander along with my small intimate B&B.