Love the Dominican Republic and her people..but dislike corporations

Chemtrans

Sep 23, 2004
As usual we had a wonderful time vacationing in Punta Cana at the end of October,2004. The people of the D.R. are such gracious hosts..even after the hurricane that caused so much damage. A word to the wise though...corporations or resort owners do not have the same respect and or goodwill that the average Dominican has. A week in paradise was followed by a month in hell for my wife. We stayed at the Gran Paradise Bavaro...and upon our return home the very next day my wife was diagnosed with salmonella poisoning..after extensive medical test and further follow up it has been determined from our local health Unit that indeed she would have contracted this at the resort. The amhsa marina company of course is in denial and instead of an apology or even a gesture of goodwill has adamantly stated that it is impossible to have happened at their resort!! What poppycock..bullshit ...whatever!!! I would suggest to anyone going to the D.R. from Canada (at least) that you check out all the details of your tour operator...Sunwing vacations seems to have abandon us...as well we have dealt with Signature vacations before this and will now return to their capable hands....love the Dominican Republic...will vacation there this year as well..but will have nothing to do with ahmsa, Gran Paradise bavaro...or any related corporations and or owners who disrespect the paying tourist......nothing against the wonderful Dominican people obviously we would not return except for our love affair with the country and the true people of the island...unfortunately we need the entrepeneurs ...hopefu;lly some day the owners and operators will be the people!!!!! God Bless for a new year of hope!!!! And for those in canada buy free trade coffee...Amen!!1

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
So, why not leave the resorts and actually meet the people of the DR? I don't mean for this to sound so callous as an introductory sentence - I'm so sorry that your wife contracted a food related illness and had a hard time after your vacation.

There is so much more to the DR than AI's and you could have a such a wonderful vacation without going the 'corporation' route. And I'm in full agreement with what I think you mean as "fairtrade" coffee! and buy fairtrade bananas and fairtrade vegetables and fairtrade everything.....

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Yeah, taking responsibility for making mistakes is not big among alot of Dominican businesses, I found while living there, sorry to say. Or even if they're not sure it was their fault, at least to recognize that they should do something to defuse a situation and ensure client retention....I have dozens of stories, as I sure all on this board who have lived there do, and a search of the archives would find many.

katty

Mar 14, 2003
wah wah wah

these people need to understand this is not us or can standards
I am an american go to DR every 6 months ffor 6 months at a ttime get a grip

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
katty said:
What does that have to do with proper food hygiene and preparation? You do know what samonella is, don't you? If you stay in a hotel, any hotel, AI or not, or any restaurant for that matter, shouldn't you expect safe food?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Keith R said:
Yeah, taking responsibility for making mistakes is not big among alot of Dominican businesses, I found while living there, sorry to say. Or even if they're not sure it was their fault, at least to recognize that they should do something to defuse a situation and ensure client retention....I have dozens of stories, as I sure all on this board who have lived there do, and a search of the archives would find many.

As far as I understand it, these hotel chains are not owned by Dominicans, but by Spaniards, French, Americans, etc...

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
katty said:
I am an american go to DR every 6 months ffor 6 months at a ttime get a grip

Are you saying there is no salmonella in Canada or US? This was a very well-written critique from the OP - I would be a little upset if I paid lots of $$$ to contract food poisoning, and then not even have my complaint acknowledged, as well. As Keith said, many Dominican companies do not take responsibility, and the law unfortunately does not do much to protect tourists from getting scammed or compensating damages from corporations such as this.

There was no need to attack the OP, luckily they understand that this is an isolated experience and will return to the DR.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
suarezn said:
As far as I understand it, these hotel chains are not owned by Dominicans, but by Spaniards, French, Americans, etc...
Before your post continue to be ignored...

One has a right to spend a vacation without getting sick of anything due to negligence on the part of these companies. If that was certainly the case, then one more reason to stay away from AIs.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
suarezn said:
I think you might want to do a little investigation on this matter. While I believe what you say is generally true (with the largest foreign ownership group being Spanish) I seem to recall that AMHSA Marina is significantly, if not mostly, Dominican owned. I am not confident enough to declare this as fact but I will get back with my findings if I am able to get more info. In the mean while if anyone has info, please post.

Gregg

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Gregg, I would be really interested to hear what you find out about this. It has been my understanding that most of the resorts are foreign owned. I admit, that I have not done a thorough search on the subject, but this has been my impression. My concerns and thoughts on the subject have mainly to do with what would be most beneficial to the people of the Dominican Republic (how can I ensure that my tourist dollars benefit the DR, rather than be immediately exported to some other country.

As far as the OP is concerned, I think what it comes down to, is that a little human acknowledgment that things did not go well would go a long way to alleviating his grievance.

The last time we went through something like this, and now that I think about it, the time before that, monetary compensation was offered and accepted. There was still a bitter taste left, because no one acknowledge that anything wrong had happened. The attitude was very much like we were lucky to get what we got so shut up. Sometimes a sincere apology, accompanied by a "drink on the house" can go a long way to righting a wrong. What was missing from the equation that we experienced, was the sincere apology. I suspect that that is what the OP is feeling.

Rose

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Pib said:
Before your post continue to be ignored...

One has a right to spend a vacation without getting sick of anything due to negligence on the part of these companies. If that was certainly the case, then one more reason to stay away from AIs.

I agree...My post was directed to Keith R. who immediately jumped on the "Let's call Dominicans irresponsible" bandwagon.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
suarezn said:
I agree...My post was directed to Keith R. who immediately jumped on the "Let's call Dominicans irresponsible" bandwagon.
Suarezn, I said Dominican businesses, as in businesses in the DR. Didn't say Dominican-owned, although frankly, what I said could apply to that as well. You are the one who jumped to conclusions. One of the examples I alluded of my personal experiences with the phenomenon involved Texaco, a US-owned firm, although the manager I had to deal with concerning the sale of adulerated gasoline (which he denied) was Dominican. And I am sure there are many, many posters who live or have lived in the DR who can cite similar cases. I am not "jumping on any bandwagon." I'm speaking from personal experience over four years living there. Wish I had no such examples to speak of from my time there, but unfortunately, I have many.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
As the owner of successful businesses in both Canada and the Dominican Republic, I can tell you that client service, before, during and after your trip are very important. I am very sorry you have not received the acknowledgment and respect that you should.

YEs, mistakes happen. Things go wrong in AI's, hotels, restaurants, people's homes for that matter all over the world. The reality is you can't prevent it all the time. BUT, acknowledging it and dealing with it - that is the way to go!!! Instead you are being treated badly.

The cost to them to make you happy is very small compared to the bad publicity now being spread.

My experience here is that businesses and people can be very short sighted! That has little to do with who owns it and sometimes little to do with who is running the business. Having a look at the long term effect and managing incidences is just good business!

I can understand how you are feeling!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dear "Chemtrains",if you are looking for a "SCAPEGOAT",,

I guess the hotel where you stayed is as good as any!(Most likely the guy who choped your salad lettuce used the same knife as the "Chicken Cutter"!) Or he had $hit under his fingernails!!!"Cross Contamination"is EVERYWHERE!Point is,you can't say for sure,without food samples from the hotel,or other forensic investigation,WHERE your wife got her "Food Poisoning"!This investigation will not happen here!!!! Maybe she got it in the bathroom on the plane to Canada?
You are looking for a Free Trip???
When you travel to the "Third World" you can EXPECT "GI Problems"! Hell,people die after eating at "Jack-In-The-Box"!!!!
Just "different" Flaura & Fauna,that get into your system can cause severe "runs",fever,etc.!
I have lived here for about 9 years now.I used to be "sick" during,or after,almost every visit.Now I seldom have a problem.When I do,I look at it as a qwick way to lose 10 lbs.! :nervous:

Chemtrans

Sep 23, 2004
To Mr. C. COLON BUSTER

Criss Colon said:
I guess the hotel where you stayed is as good as any!(Most likely the guy who choped your salad lettuce used the same knife as the "Chicken Cutter"!) Or he had $hit under his fingernails!!!"Cross Contamination"is EVERYWHERE!Point is,you can't say for sure,without food samples from the hotel,or other forensic investigation,WHERE your wife got her "Food Poisoning"!This investigation will not happen here!!!! Maybe she got it in the bathroom on the plane to Canada?
You are looking for a Free Trip???
When you travel to the "Third World" you can EXPECT "GI Problems"! Hell,people die after eating at "Jack-In-The-Box"!!!!
Just "different" Flaura & Fauna,that get into your system can cause severe "runs",fever,etc.!
I have lived here for about 9 years now.I used to be "sick" during,or after,almost every visit.Now I seldom have a problem.When I do,I look at it as a qwick way to lose 10 lbs.! :nervous:[/QUOT Sorry to tell you Colon that "NO"..we were not looking for a free trip and never expected that.. I am very happy that you are such an expert...however....enough said...I am so impressed that you have lived there for 9 years and now have built up an immunity...as the Doctor told my wife at least she will have built up some immunity if this happens again............nice consolation...but then again you would know this from experience....sorry we expected so much from a 3 rd world country...however we do not consider your comments or any one else's a hindrance ..we will be back and we will enjoy......and we do not disrepect anyone there except for maybe you and your pontificating 9 years??? you better be there another 40 before you consider yourself an expert!!! How dare you think we were looking for any kind of remuneration or compensation other than to at least expect oh hell why do I even answer people like you other then to tell you to........relax!!!! Have a great day on the beach...hope to meet you next time...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Doubt THAT!

I don't have to take cheap tours to "AIs",where YOU can watch "Eurotrash" getting drunk on cheap booze,stuffing themselves on buffet "slop", all the while with their butt-crack sticking out!! Not my idea of a good time! :tired:

COLD where you are today?????????????????? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Here too,about "78"F!....He,He,He!!!

Chemtrans

Sep 23, 2004
Criss Colon said:
I don't have to take cheap tours to "AIs",where YOU can watch "Eurotrash" getting drunk on cheap booze,stuffing themselves on buffet "slop", all the while with their butt-crack sticking out!! Not my idea of a good time! :tired:

COLD where you are today?????????????????? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Here too,about "78"F!....He,He,He!!!

Oh so obviously you have been there.. Are you not lucky to be holier than thou??? And so if you had your way there would be no tourists, no eurotrash and no economy...my my my..what a selfish letch youe are!!! I really hope that I am wrong and that you are indeed a good person..but I doubt it.....If truth be told I think you are an ex pat from some country who has found a cheap paradise and abhors anyone infringing on what you think is your little paradise owned by you alone with disregard for the people who own the country.....how much taxes did you pay last year you ******* grunt??? ....and it was a beautiful day here in my country...not cold at all....only bitter...and when you have a problem next time call George Bush or Paul Martin...eventually you will get a busy signal!!!!! be proud of what you are doing for the Dominican republic.....absolutley nothing loser!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

calbano

Aug 11, 2005
corps in dr

i know sun village is owned by a english corp. just wrote a nasty letter to them ......