scared of sickness

guvna

Jan 7, 2005
between this site, riubambu and debbies, I sure have read a LOT about folks getting sick at resorts. wife and i were considering one of the RIU's in PC later this spring. what's the deal? i don't want to spend my vacation vomiting, and i don't really care to be terrified every time i put something in my mouth while i'm there. is it your basic "don't drink the water" or is it something else? vacations come few and far between...i suppose you all understand...
thanks

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
I think you'll be fine

I have been to the DR 4 times and have not gotten sick. Although my advice is purely unscientific or medically backed, I not only suggest not drinking the water but also take it easy at the AI buffet (at least the first day or two). The food is different than what you're used to at home and it tastes great. I found that of the people I travelled with, those that ate a lot of different things the first day or two thinking 'wow, this tastes great let's get more' got sick. Those of us that just tried small portions of new foods until we got used to it, did not. Like I said, purely unscientific but it worked for me. Have a great vacation where ever you decide to go! I do hope it's the DR as it's a fabulous place to visit.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
guvna said:
between this site, riubambu and debbies, I sure have read a LOT about folks getting sick at resorts. wife and i were considering one of the RIU's in PC later this spring. what's the deal? i don't want to spend my vacation vomiting, and i don't really care to be terrified every time i put something in my mouth while i'm there. is it your basic "don't drink the water" or is it something else? vacations come few and far between...i suppose you all understand...
thanks

If you are concerned, change your plans and stay at a different hotel in a different part of the country. Consider Sosua or Cabarete, for example. Nothing more than the common cold reported here.

BeachBound

Sep 13, 2004
I've been there twice and also to Jamaica and have never been sick (knock on wood). You just have to be smart about what you eat and drink. Like someone mentioned, stick to safe foods at the buffet. Don't try that local dish that looks rather bizarre! And stay away from ice cubes and drink lots of bottled water. Have fun!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
BeachBound said:
I've been there twice and also to Jamaica and have never been sick (knock on wood). You just have to be smart about what you eat and drink. Like someone mentioned, stick to safe foods at the buffet. Don't try that local dish that looks rather bizarre! And stay away from ice cubes and drink lots of bottled water. Have fun!

The ice cubes they serve in hotels and good restaurants are ok. They are made with purified water.

chica

Feb 9, 2004
sickness

Does someone have some latest news about the sickness in the riu hotels in POP.
I have read nothing then bad reviews on tripadvisor.
It seems everyone get sick after staying one or two days in one of the three hotels.

Thanks

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
they brought it with them

had a long talk with two health inspectors (Canadian) yesterday. confirmed my thoughts that the sickness, diagnosed as the Norwalk virus, was probably brought down on the plane with the Ontario tourists. this opinion is based on two facts:

the incubation period indicates that they were probably exposed on the plane and not in the resort.

secondly, Norwalk has broken out all over Ontario...especially in the hospitals and nursing homes.

it is a shame how so many automatically blame the DR for these problems. our own outbreaks of Norwalk are receiving very limited media attention. i think you are more at risk in Ontario than you are in the DR. given all the attention and the international health inspectors pouring over the resort, you'd probably have excellent sanitary conditions there now.

chica said:
Does someone have some latest news about the sickness in the riu hotels in POP.
I have read nothing then bad reviews on tripadvisor.
It seems everyone get sick after staying one or two days in one of the three hotels.

Thanks

chica

Feb 9, 2004
Gregg said:
had a long talk with two health inspectors (Canadian) yesterday. confirmed my thoughts that the sickness, diagnosed as the Norwalk virus, was probably brought down on the plane with the Ontario tourists. this opinion is based on two facts:

the incubation period indicates that they were probably exposed on the plane and not in the resort.

secondly, Norwalk has broken out all over Ontario...especially in the hospitals and nursing homes.

it is a shame how so many automatically blame the DR for these problems. our own outbreaks of Norwalk are receiving very limited media attention. i think you are more at risk in Ontario than you are in the DR. given all the attention and the international health inspectors pouring over the resort, you'd probably have excellent sanitary conditions there now.

Thanks Gregg.
But how can they stop that virus if they dont close and desinfected the hotel.
I think its not enough to clean everything while still sick people are staying in the resort.
I have read the problem has start early December and is still going on.
I have stayed also in the riu's before and i like the hotels very much and i never saw such a very clean resort.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Gregg, thanks for your post. I agree that it is a shame that Canadian health authorities have been warning people to stay away from the DR for fear they will get sick with something that was brought to the DR by Canadians.

I've felt all along that the DR was getting a very bad rap by the Canadian health authorities.

shelby

Jun 26, 2004
give me a break

Common sense goes along way use your head. You are in a foriegn country , I live in sousa and the us i never have any problem between the two countries. Enjoy yourself and have a great vacation. Shelby

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
not to mention...

Ken said:
Gregg, thanks for your post. I agree that it is a shame that Canadian health authorities have been warning people to stay away from the DR for fear they will get sick with something that was brought to the DR by Canadians.

I've felt all along that the DR was getting a very bad rap by the Canadian health authorities.

and then we have all those super viruses showing up in the hospitals...and the doctors and hospitals decided not to tell anyone. even those with elective surgery were not informed. this has been going on for more than a year!

and how about West Nile virus? same suppression of information by health officials. oh and that little SARs thing...

i think we have a false sense of security in Canada based on keeping the general population ignorant. if i have one more Canadian warn me about malaria in Punta Cana when i tell them i am going to the North Coast i am going to scream.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
A clarification is in order.

For anyone who may not know...

Gregg here on DR1 is not the same as the Gregg who posts on Debbie's Dominican Travel, Rusty's "Unofficial" Riu Website or TripAdvisor.

Here and on another "nameless" board I post as FireGuy.

I have already heard from a poster who was confused and accused me of...

Well, that's enough said. I hope no one else is confused.

Gregg

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Ken,

Ken said:
Gregg (not FireGuy), thanks for your post. I agree that it is a shame that Canadian health authorities have been warning people to stay away from the DR for fear they will get sick with something that was brought to the DR by Canadians.

I usually enjoy your posts immensely and look forward to your comments.

It is therefore with respect that I would ask you to please read the following Public Health Agency of Canada, Travel Health Advisory about Reports of Gastrointestinal Illness in the Dominican Republic which was released January 20, 2005. By your comments above you may not have read it as nowhere is the advisory "warning people to stay away from the DR for fear they will get sick" or for any reason whatsoever.

www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/2005/gastro050120_e.html

Furthermore unless you know something that I don't (which is certainly possible), the origin is still unknown, as in fact is the exact nature of what is generally believed to be a viral infection. Thus your comment that "for fear they will get sick with something that was brought to the DR by Canadians" is at best speculation, unless you can show me a source. I do agree that Canada has been suggested as a possible origin, but I do not believe this is definative, by any means.

I look forward to your comments.

Gregg
(FireGuy)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fireguy, I was not the source of the information that the virus was brought to the DR by Canadians. I was quoting statements in Gregg's post, which I indicated clearly in my post. (Btw, I see you have seen fit to doctor my post when you "quoted" it.)

No, I have not seen any bulletins from the Canadian health authorities. However, I have read the posts by Canadians on this and other boards and I have talked with Canadians who tell me they are vacationing here despite the warnings they received in Canada. Since they have arrived with some fear and trepidation caused by the warnings they told me they were given in Canada, I felt they were a reliable source of information.

With respect to your question about the source of the information that the virus was carried to the DR by Canadians, I suggest you direct them to Gregg, the one who posted this information in this thread.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Ken said:
With respect to your question about the source of the information that the virus was carried to the DR by Canadians, I suggest you direct them to Gregg, the one who posted this information in this thread.

Who luckily had a chat with two "Canadian health inspectors" who seem to have more information that the Government does. Hmmm......

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hi FireGuy (aka Gregg)

This is by no means intended to detract from your statements... It is only intended to add a perspective.. From the point of view of us who live here, it is something quite removed from our daily lives... we don't see it, we don't come in contact with it and we are quite amazed that this is reported with such energy, as around us, it is not happening.

I do hope they get the affected hotels and complexes cleaned up so that people can come on vacation down here with less of a feeling of apprehension. (Now I know why I wipe down the kitchen with Chlorox so every now and again)

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Ken,

The only "doctoring" was to differentiate me, FireGuy (whose name happens to be Gregg), from the DR1 poster Gregg by inserting (not FireGuy). I altered nothing of factual substance.

I do accept that you were referring to Gregg's comments but you were also agreeing with them and I felt you might like to see the actual advisory as it does not direct travellers away from the DR.

Gregg
(FireGuy)

Hi Chris,

I agree that outside the Riu complex the world is unfolding as it should (Desiderata flashback - whoa) and all this is much ado about nothing for you lucky residents. I can assure you however that for those who are sent unsuspecting to this complex, after the problem has been known for at least one and maybe as much as two months, THEY ARE REALLY PISSED AT THE TOUR OPERATORS AND RIU and are lashing out in a variety of ways.

Anyway we are at the Marien Coral in POP April 15 - 29 and hope to see you and Richard sometime in that period.

Later.

Gregg
(FireGuy)

westcoastfantas

Dec 30, 2004
Mixed drinks

Ken said:
The ice cubes they serve in hotels and good restaurants are ok. They are made with purified water.

What if you're in a small establishment and not sure what type of ice they're using? Should you order rum n coke w/o ice?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
westcoastfantas said:
What if you're in a small establishment and not sure what type of ice they're using? Should you order rum n coke w/o ice?

Hard to say. Most establishments these days buy bags of cubes made with purified ice. If the ice looks like it came from a mold rather than pieces broken off a block of ice, it should be ok.