Police Corruption and Cover Up

Cheetah

Jan 15, 2005
Most have you have seen previous posts about my 11 year old sons drowning while on a jeep safari tour run by Allegria and sold at Jack Tar Village in Puerto Plata.

Well I finally got the transalted police report back and my suspicions of police corruption and cover up are true which makes me even more furious. They fail to mention that we were on a tour, the name of tour company, they did not mentiuon that there were 5 tour guides who did not jump in after him, and they did not review any of the people on our tour. They rushed them away as soon as it happenned. As I said earlier, the tour company lawyer was the first person to meet us and stay with us through the entire translation with the hospital and police station. Just be careful people, I valued vacations, but should anything go wrong, don't expect any help from local authroties. My mission is not complete yet.

Here are some parts of the report:

After being examined by the coroner, it was certified, that Adam died because of asphyxiation, induced by immersion (drowned). This happened around 16:00 hours while the victim was swimming with his father in the La Majagua River
Witness Version:
In the river while they were swimming. It was impossible to rescue him even with the help of other swimmers

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Where did this witness version come from?

Unfortunately, this looks quite similar to your version.
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=264232#post264232

Hopefully some other witnesses will contact you and possibly offer a different version, especially the lone woman who singlehandedly came close in her rescue attempt.

It would seem that criminal charges will be very difficult to persue but perhaps some compensation from the tour company may be doable.

Good luck.

Cheetah

Jan 15, 2005
We have most names and numbers of the people on tour with us. They are great people and became our family the days after Adam's death.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Cheetah said:
We have most names and numbers of the people on tour with us. They are great people and became our family the days after Adam's death.
So it should be very easy to establish that you were on the tour.

This tour company is responsible for putting people in danger and failing to mount a rescue attempt.
How can they claim it was too dangerous to attempt a recue yet it was not too dangerous to be there in the first place?

I am curious if Adam's body came up on it's own or was it recovered and if so, surely it could have been recovered immediately.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I feel profoundly sadden by your lost; our prayers goes out to you and your family. :cry:

Cheetah

Jan 15, 2005
Malibook said:
So it should be very easy to establish that you were on the tour.

This tour company is responsible for putting people in danger and failing to mount a rescue attempt.
How can they claim it was too dangerous to attempt a recue yet it was not too dangerous to be there in the first place?

I am curious if Adam's body came up on it's own or was it recovered and if so, surely it could have been recovered immediately.

Proving that we were on the tour is no longer an issue unless we pursue legal action. I have so much evidence that it would make for a perfect lawsuit here in Canada or the USA, but not in a 3rd world country. Since Adam's death, I have researched similar stories, with most unsuccessful at suing. There was a story on the Montel Williams show 2 weeks ago which was titled "when vacations turn tragic" and the parents of Brent Midlock who was 9 years old when he got sucked into a return pipe at the resorts swimming pool at an Occidental resort in Mexico. They are trying to sue but Occidental lawyers are fighting back and not taking resposibility. This actually seems like a no brainer to me that Occidental responsible as this incident occurred right in the resort. I have since heard of several familair stories in my research.

You are bang on, after minutes of arguing between the tour guide, about 10 minutes at most, the lead guy eventually jumped in and pulled Adam out.But it was too late.
What is sad is that they were still selling the tour the next day telling parents it was safe for children.

Cheetah

Jan 15, 2005
Conchman said:
What I dont gather from the posts is, did the family try to pull the boy out?

No. What looked like a fun and adventurous fast moving turbulent water ride, done by many others just before us quickly changed it's appearance one this boy was sucked under so fast. He was a very strong swimmer. I struggled on the first water fall, was very tired and had cut my knee open on a rock hidden underwater. Other adults had trouble including one strong young man who was a life guard. Hard to explain to you since you were not there.The panic, screaming, crying,it was a nightmare unfolding. My second son, 13 yrs old was right behind Adam and made it through but he also felt the pull of the water. The Lady,21 yr old, our hero ,who eventually rallied the guides , jumped in first, but the undertow sucked her under just as she touched Adam's hand, and she thought she would drown too but somehow was able to surface.We all relied on the experience of these guides, especially our lead guide who had arms the size of my legs, and even after this incident, the president of this tour company had the nerve to tell me this guide is regarded as the best in the business.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
If possible

Try to get help from the Canadian embassy if possible they have lawyers I guess for Canadian citizen.

If you handle every thing by your own will be a lot of work to do, there are many reason that you can get close that Tour Operator and one of then is for Not a Safety team and equipment putting in risk a life.

I read about the situation and I feel deeply sad.

Also before was a Canadian citizen who got shot by a Dominican Police in one of the washroom of a club while a police was chasing a drug dealer I dont know what happen after that but I dont think the police has done anything.

Good luck my sincere condolences!

Homer

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Cheetah, thanks for letting us know the true side of your story. I am very sorry to hear about what happened to your son adam. All the best.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Cheetah, I am deeply sorry for the loss of your son. I would like to add following warning about the rivers in the DR: they are particularly dangerous. What may seem like a small flowing stream can harbor trecherous currents underneath the surface. Many years ago I almost lost my mother to a whirpool at La Confluencia in Jarabacoa. It took the concerted effort of several family members to extricate her to safety. While basking at a cabin on the banks of Nizao river, by Lucas Diaz bridge, I've witnessed and heard accounts of scores of drowning in what seems only two feet of water. The local lore says that spirits belonging to the original inhabitants of the island, the Tainos, drag down into the depth certain individuals who have a mysterious afinity with them. I'm one of them, and I've always been told to stay away from rivers and streams.

Mirador

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Dear Cheetah, I am so sorry to hear about your loss, as a parent I can hardly imagine the depth of your saddness. If you haven't already you should contact a lawyer in Canada, and perhaps in the US as well to check to see if the tour company or the principals of the company have assets on the mainland, and if they're advertising or soliciting clients in these countries. There may be a way to go after them if they are "doing business" in Canada or the States. My Prayers go out to you and your family, and of course to your Adam.