Be careful

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
My mother inlaw and father inlaw live in Villa Mella and were the victims of a burglary a couple of days ago. They went to the airport to pick up their son and when they came back their home was broke into and lots of valuable were taken. I assume that it was done by people that knew them, and knew they would not be home. This really disturbs me due to the fact of how generous they are to all that know them. I am going to Villa Mella in two days and now will be looking at their friends a little suspiously. This may not be fair but it is probably justified. Eight years ago they were the victims of a home invasion robbery where they were tied up at gun point and their house was ransacked. The german shepard was of no help probably because the dog knew the perp. I know crime is everywhere but things appear to be getting a little out of hand. My advise to all is just be careful about who you invite into your home. They could be looking to set you up at later date.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Work In The Security Field In Santo Domingo.

This Country is not different from other country in that many/most "burglaries/robberies" have some component of an "InsideJob".
"Crime Statistics" in the DR are just like "statistics" everywhere,they can show what the vested interest wants them to show.A "Realotor" will "low ball",an NGO looking for a United Nations grant will "high ball",when applying,and then "low ball" to show good results.I will say that much of the "crime" in the DR goes unreported,therefore the "Crime Statistics" are of little value.
Many criminals look at the "wedding",and "funeral" announcements in the newspaper to see when homes will be vacant!Most Dominicans will NEVER leave their hose "emply" for any reason!Everyone should take a "lesson" from them!
In my opinion,"crime" is on the rise in the DR.Not "Out-Of-Control",but time for the Government to get involved to make a difference.The poor economy,and Career Criminals deported from around the World,back to the DR play a part.Also,political parties that are not "in power" support an increase in "crime" to make the current President "look bad".
My advise at this time is not to "Panic"! Take reasonable common sense precautions in your daily life.Secure your home,and don't ever "Flaunt" that you have wealth! No "Chains",watches,"Flash of cash",cell phones,or other Vanity items.
I teach our employees to;"Be responsible for your OWN SECURITY!"

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Criss Colon said:
In my opinion,"crime" is on the rise in the DR.Not "Out-Of-Control",but time for the Government to get involved to make a difference."

Do you think the increase in crime has anything to do with the increase in drug use? When I first started going to the DR (1992), I was told drug use was treated as a serious crime and everyone was afraid to indulge. Now just about everyone I meet is either doing drugs, has done drugs, or has a friend who out of control because of drugs.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
rellosk said:
Do you think the increase in crime has anything to do with the increase in drug use? When I first started going to the DR (1992), I was told drug use was treated as a serious crime and everyone was afraid to indulge. Now just about everyone I meet is either doing drugs, has done drugs, or has a friend who out of control because of drugs.

There is no doubt about that. Last year my girlfriend was coming to Sosua from Santo Domingo for a few days. She left her brother in charge of her house so it wouldn't be empty. He went on a crack binge and stole everything in the house!